Cindy in Cuberrr... - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Give back to the World? What exactly has the world done for you? If you want to feel guilty for living in a Country made strong by sweat and blood then go right ahead. I won't and will not! I will be Proud. I was in Mogadishu for a little bit right after Black Hawk Down. I can tell you first hand that they don't want Our help because they don't want to help themselves. What you should feel guilty about is passsing by children in under-developed and poor communities in your area. Just because Our country is rich doesn't mean Everyone is rich. And man that was a very intellectual quote from Chris Rock! And to let you know you have about 700 dollars more than me in the bank. And I have a good job!! And NO, I don't live beyond my means. So feel guilty about something else besides being born in America

Quote Originally Posted by Camper51
    Sunman, you are incredibly naive. One does not turn a murderer back into scoiety. Castro still hates us and his brother hates us even more than El Jefe does, and he is next in line to Castro's presidency.

[B]I don't blame Castro for hating us. We tried to overthrow him like a bazillion times, and I betcha we tried to assasinate him a few times too, wouldn't you agree?[/B]

I assume from your "Christian" thoughts and behavior that you also feel Saddam Hussein should not have been executed and that we should not have invaded Iraq because "they did nothing to us".

No, Saddam Hussein is a true genocidal dictator. Some estimates have that he killed 300,000 civilians and he got what he deserved.

As for invading Iraq. I supported it at the time. But I was just as blind as everyone else at foreseeing that any occupation of a foreign territory usually results in a fierce insurgency. We were evicted from Somalia and Vietnam, and the Soviet Union was evicted from Afghanistan in the '80s. We should have known.

Maybe we should also allow any other tinhorn petty a$$ed dictator to have their way, too. It is a$$holes who believe that we should leave everyone alone and keep to ourselves that allowed Hitler to come to power and begin exterminating the Jews. What about Idi Amin, was he also guiltless? Maybe Kim Il Jung would be a good man for you to identify with.

No, we were right in entering World War II but I wish we had taken action earlier and not watied for Pearl Harbor. I don't know who Idi Amin is, so I cant talk about that one. Kim Jung Il is a terrible person and I hope he dies and North Korea crumbles, but we cannot invade North Korea because if we do, he just might start launching his nukes at Seoul and Tokyo.

No I don't think we should lift the embargo, we should shut them down totally but until both Fidel and his equally (if not worse) cruel brother are destroyed the safety of the United States CANNOT be assured. The idiots only need to make ONE strike againt the US to make themselves into heroes around the communist and probably the Arab world. It wouldn't matter if we then destroyed them because they already "stung" the giant and that act alone would make them into heroes.

This is such a joke. Fidel Castro has never taken any aggressive action against the United States. He never tried to assasinate any US President. But we did all of the above to them. The only crime he is guilty of is being a communist. And that is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS. Besides, Castro is not Arab.

If you think Cuba is such a threat to the US, you really need to re-evluate our national security priorities.

And right now our priorities are:

1. Al Qaeda
    2. North Korea/Iran
    3. China possibly
    4. Everything else BUT NOT CUBA.

People like Castro don't give a f*ck about their people, they only care about the power they have over the people they control. If they didn't care about the power they would not kill and destroy any and all opposition to their rule...
    Which gives us the right to starve out their people via trade embargo right?

Quote Originally Posted by jgorosco
    Give back to the World? What exactly has the world done for you?

Does someone have to do something for you before you're willing to do something for them?? If so, I feel sad for you.

If you want to feel guilty for living in a Country made strong by sweat and blood then go right ahead. I won't and will not! I will be Proud. I was in Mogadishu for a little bit right after Black Hawk Down. I can tell you first hand that they don't want Our help because they don't want to help themselves.

I'm not asking you to feel guilty. I am proud too to be living here. But I am asking you to feel privileged and to spare some compassion for people who are not as fortunate as you and I. Made strong by sweat and blood huh? You know what? I agree, but you don't think there is sweat and blood spared in Africa?

What about the African cotton farmer who makes a dollar a day laboring in 110 degree heat with a 20 hour work day?

Come on now, we are obviously privileged.

With great power comes great responsibility.

What you should feel guilty about is passsing by children in under-developed and poor communities in your area.

No American has starved to death. In this country, if you are poor you still have access to a free educational system and government assistance which will virtually guarantee you shelter and 3 meals a day.

Many people in Africa are lucky to get 3 meals a week. Some people there will be ECSTATIC to make 6 dollars a day, let alone our 6 dollars an hour minimum wage.

Just because Our country is rich doesn't mean Everyone is rich.

Yeah, but as I said before, poor people in this country have SOCIAL MOBILITY. They can work their way up. They will not starve to death due to government assistance, and they have access to a government funded educational system. Even if the school is second rate, if you do well there are hundreds of scholarships and grants out there that can help pay for you to go to college.

And man that was a very intellectual quote from Chris Rock!

May not be intellectual but its true.

And to let you know you have about 700 dollars more than me in the bank. And I have a good job!! And NO, I don't live beyond my means. So feel guilty about something else besides being born in America

I find it hard to believe you have 0 dollars in the bank right now....but if you say so.
    American people are so selfish and your post obviously reflects it. This is not a hit against you, its a hit against all American people, including myself. And this needs to change.

US international aid composes only 0.34% of our GDP, which is the lowest in the world amongst developed nations.

Man, you gotta do more than just hang around moveon.org and michael moore/babs web sites.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sun... I wouldn't say selfish just want what we have now for our kids and our kids, kids in the future. If that makes sense. I read it three times and still don't know if it sounds right? Another thing people are turned away from shelters all the time. Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have volunteered here in Houston for a shelter called Star of Hope and I have seen hundreds of poor, starving and homeless people with children mind you, turned away on a regular basis.

Africa from what I have seen is even more Greedy and selfish than we are. Take for instance the diamond mines they have. Greed kills.

I just don't get sometimes people say we need to mind our own business and take care of Our Country first but then say we need to help other Countries. So we go help by adopting a child here and a child there instead of adopting here in America. I am almost positive that we have African, Asian and other culture babies that need adopting here in America, even Cuban babies!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool

WHAT ABOUT THAT HEAD-SHOT,RFK GOT; WHERE DID THE ORDER, REALLY COME FROM! 90 MILE'S SOUTH OF KEY WEST???

Quote Originally Posted by jgorosco
    Sun... I wouldn't say selfish just want what we have now for our kids and our kids, kids in the future. If that makes sense. I read it three times and still don't know if it sounds right? Another thing people are turned away from shelters all the time. Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have volunteered here in Houston for a shelter called Star of Hope and I have seen hundreds of poor, starving and homeless people with children mind you, turned away on a regular basis.

Africa from what I have seen is even more Greedy and selfish than we are. Take for instance the diamond mines they have. Greed kills.

I just don't get sometimes people say we need to mind our own business and take care of Our Country first but then say we need to help other Countries. So we go help by adopting a child here and a child there instead of adopting here in America. I am almost positive that we have African, Asian and other culture babies that need adopting here in America, even Cuban babies!
    The diamond mines they have????

yeah sure because the diamonds all go to the people right? Or do they go to rich, white stockholders.

Look at who owns DeBeers - the world's largest Diamond mining company based in South Africa.

Choosing to help the poor in the US as opposed to choosing to help starving people in Africa is like choosing to save a guy with the flu as opposed to a guy bleeding to death on the street.

Save the guy thats bleeding to death first. The person with the flu can get treatment later.

And who says we can't do both??

Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68
    WHAT ABOUT THAT HEAD-SHOT,RFK GOT; WHERE DID THE ORDER, REALLY COME FROM! 90 MILE'S SOUTH OF KEY WEST???

I'm not familiar with what happened in the assasination of Robert Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by garryh123
    Man, you gotta do more than just hang around moveon.org and michael moore/babs web sites.

never been to moveon.org and I hate Michael Moore, he's a worthless lardass with nothing but a big mouth.

Gentlemen, I believe the core of the matter here is that Sonny is still blessed with a high degree of idealism, as is often the case with people of his age. He is just now starting to view the world around him with a broader sense of responsibility. I remember well being 20 years old, and naive to the ways of the political process under which the world functions. Idealism, in and of itself, is sort of a right of passage, I think. My guess is that when he leaves the nest, puts that $700.00 down on a studio apartment somewhere, and starts having to do for himself, his views will adapt accordingly. Sonny: your views are, in a sense, quite admirable, and your concern for the well being of the world's poor may fuel you to do great things one day. But for the time being, you haven't had the life experience to debate with the likes of some of the people here. Further, continuing to grind the same point in here is futile, and only makes you come across as argumentative. Do yourself a favor and check yourself before you become someone that no one wants to interact with in here. Your point has been made, but no one is buying. Time to close up your sample case and move on to the next porch.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuNmAN
    American people are so selfish and your post obviously reflects it. This is not a hit against you, its a hit against all American people, including myself. And this needs to change.

US international aid composes only 0.34% of our GDP, which is the lowest in the world amongst developed nations.
    First, who say we HAVE to help undeveloped countries?

Second, I take issue with your claim that the US is selfish. As a single example, US government aid sent to help people recover from the big tsunami several years ago totalled about $900 million. Aid donated privately by American citizens exceeded $3 billion. Both figures exceeds the amount donated by all European countries/private contributions combined by a significant amount.

That was in response to a single event, not what we give overall which far and away exceeds the rest of the "developed" world. You can't compare what the US government gives away of our tax dollars and ignore the private contributions. That 0.34% of our GDP leaves the rest of the world way back in the dust as far as dollar amounts go, but it only reflects "official" money, not private money.

Stop being guilty for being a citizen of the richest country in the world. If it bothers you so much, stop going to college and instead send all of your tuition money to some UN charity so they can "wisely" spend it. You're being selfish spending that money on yourself (using your logic).

As for me, I'd rather the government cut our taxes and stop sending so much to countries with no appreciation for our help.

YLDNDN6- You sir, have hit the nail on the head. And you did it in a tactful manner. I hope SuNmaN will read and consider your post, and then just relax a little.
    drumcorpssnare

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well said YLDNDN6!

YLDNDN6, outstanding assessment and presentation.

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SuNmAN
    ok, she really does take things overboard sometimes BUT...

have some compassion and be a human being for once

this woman lost her son in combat and it has driven her to the brink of insanity.

I think we should close Gitmo as well.

why the heck do we have a base on Cuba anyway?
    Not trying to be rude here, but is there anything that the US Military does that you approve of?

Thread Information