Cindy in Cuberrr... - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D W George
    Don't you think we already have enough poor of our own? We re not the problem that is confronting the people of cuba=senor castro is.
    Have you ever heard of an American citizen starving to death? Because I sure haven't.

"America is so rich that even poor people are fat !!" - Chris Rock

Half the world — nearly three billion people — live on less than two dollars a day. source 1

The GDP (Gross Domestic Product) of the poorest 48 nations (i.e. a quarter of the world’s countries) is less than the wealth of the world’s three richest people combined. source 2

Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names. source 3

Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn't happen. source 4

51 percent of the world’s 100 hundred wealthiest bodies are corporations. source 5

The wealthiest nation on Earth has the widest gap between rich and poor of any industrialized nation. source 6

The poorer the country, the more likely it is that debt repayments are being extracted directly from people who neither contracted the loans nor received any of the money. source 7

20% of the population in the developed nations, consume 86% of the world’s goods. source 8

The top fifth of the world’s people in the richest countries enjoy 82% of the expanding export trade and 68% of foreign direct investment — the bottom fifth, barely more than 1%. source 9

In 1960, the 20% of the world’s people in the richest countries had 30 times the income of the poorest 20% — in 1997, 74 times as much. source 10

An analysis of long-term trends shows the distance between the richest and poorest countries was about:
    3 to 1 in 1820
    11 to 1 in 1913
    35 to 1 in 1950
    44 to 1 in 1973
    72 to 1 in 1992 source 11

“The lives of 1.7 million children will be needlessly lost this year [2000] because world governments have failed to reduce poverty levels” source 12

The developing world now spends $13 on debt repayment for every $1 it receives in grants. source 13

A few hundred millionaires now own as much wealth as the world’s poorest 2.5 billion people. source 14

“The 48 poorest countries account for less than 0.4 per cent of global exports.” source 15

“The combined wealth of the world’s 200 richest people hit $1 trillion in 1999; the combined incomes of the 582 million people living in the 43 least developed countries is $146 billion.” source 16

“Of all human rights failures today, those in economic and social areas affect by far the larger number and are the most widespread across the world’s nations and large numbers of people.” source 17

“Approximately 790 million people in the developing world are still chronically undernourished, almost two-thirds of whom reside in Asia and the Pacific.” source 18

Marine Family Free Member 003XXMarineDAD's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Better Idea...

Have the U.N. do a world oil for food program. We know how well they work programs like this.

Sunman, you are incredibly naive. One does not turn a murderer back into scoiety. Castro still hates us and his brother hates us even more than El Jefe does, and he is next in line to Castro's presidency.

I assume from your "Christian" thoughts and behavior that you also feel Saddam Hussein should not have been executed and that we should not have invaded Iraq because "they did nothing to us".

Maybe we should also allow any other tinhorn petty a$$ed dictator to have their way, too. It is a$$holes who believe that we should leave everyone alone and keep to ourselves that allowed Hitler to come to power and begin exterminating the Jews. What about Idi Amin, was he also guiltless? Maybe Kim Il Jung would be a good man for you to identify with.

No I don't think we should lift the embargo, we should shut them down totally but until both Fidel and his equally (if not worse) cruel brother are destroyed the safety of the United States CANNOT be assured. The idiots only need to make ONE strike againt the US to make themselves into heroes around the communist and probably the Arab world. It wouldn't matter if we then destroyed them because they already "stung" the giant and that act alone would make them into heroes.

People like Castro don't give a f*ck about their people, they only care about the power they have over the people they control. If they didn't care about the power they would not kill and destroy any and all opposition to their rule...

Quote Originally Posted by SuNmAN
    Have you ever heard of an American citizen starving to death? Because I sure haven't.

"America is so rich that even poor people are fat !!" - Chris Rock

Half the world — nearly three billion people — live on less than two dollars a day. source 1

The GDP (Gross Domestic Product) of the poorest 48 nations (i.e. a quarter of the world’s countries) is less than the wealth of the world’s three richest people combined. source 2

Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names. source 3

Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn't happen. source 4

51 percent of the world’s 100 hundred wealthiest bodies are corporations. source 5

The wealthiest nation on Earth has the widest gap between rich and poor of any industrialized nation. source 6

The poorer the country, the more likely it is that debt repayments are being extracted directly from people who neither contracted the loans nor received any of the money. source 7

20% of the population in the developed nations, consume 86% of the world’s goods. source 8

The top fifth of the world’s people in the richest countries enjoy 82% of the expanding export trade and 68% of foreign direct investment — the bottom fifth, barely more than 1%. source 9

In 1960, the 20% of the world’s people in the richest countries had 30 times the income of the poorest 20% — in 1997, 74 times as much. source 10

An analysis of long-term trends shows the distance between the richest and poorest countries was about:
    3 to 1 in 1820
    11 to 1 in 1913
    35 to 1 in 1950
    44 to 1 in 1973
    72 to 1 in 1992 source 11

“The lives of 1.7 million children will be needlessly lost this year [2000] because world governments have failed to reduce poverty levels” source 12

The developing world now spends $13 on debt repayment for every $1 it receives in grants. source 13

A few hundred millionaires now own as much wealth as the world’s poorest 2.5 billion people. source 14

“The 48 poorest countries account for less than 0.4 per cent of global exports.” source 15

“The combined wealth of the world’s 200 richest people hit $1 trillion in 1999; the combined incomes of the 582 million people living in the 43 least developed countries is $146 billion.” source 16

“Of all human rights failures today, those in economic and social areas affect by far the larger number and are the most widespread across the world’s nations and large numbers of people.” source 17

“Approximately 790 million people in the developing world are still chronically undernourished, almost two-thirds of whom reside in Asia and the Pacific.” source 18

So are you saying we should go communist to share the wealth? It sure seems like you do from this post, otherwise why post stupid statistics like this.

By the way you never stated your 18 sources, so I assume it's all crap. All numbers and figures, such as these, can be manipulated to look anyway someone wants them to, especiallly when someone wants to make themselves look good, or maybe even look smart. It's all in how you want to look at them and present them. Most figures like this are half truths anyway so they are unreliable and inaccurate.

I choose to not accept any figure you gave based on the FACT that all numbers are subject to falsehoods and misinterpretations depending on how someone wishes to have them presented...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your desire to feed the world is commendable but un do-able since we would have to either deal with their corrupt govrnments or overthrow them. The rulers of thes places will siphon off the majority of any aid as they have done in the past; for resale or bribes for things of value. I believe someone once said "the poor will always be with us". If we supported a billion people today, in a short while there would be 3 billion that needed to be supported and then 6 billion, etc. No win situation. Have you considered the Peace Corps?

In the spirit of walking the walk because talk is cheap, I've donated $50 to Heifer International, a non-profit humanitarian organization that gives livestock to impoverished communities so that they can sell the milk for income.

Personally I'm a struggling college student, I come from a middle class family and my parents help with the $20,000/year college tuition but they cannot afford to cover all of it. The Reserve Montgomery GI Bill only gives me $309/month for 8 months (I get nothing over winter and summer break)

In both of my bank accounts (the Pacific Marine military one and my one at home) combined I probably have less than $700 and tuition this semester is coming up soon.

But I know I won't starve, I'll always have a roof over my head, and our family likely will not struggle to the point where I have to quit school, and even if we do I can take out loans to continue my education.

The same cannot be said for the billions of people around the world with no food, no education and no hope.

If I can spare $50, hopefully you guys can spare a little something too to make this world a better place:

http://www.heifer.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 003XXMarineDAD
    Have the U.N. do a world oil for food program. We know how well they work programs like this.

if such poor African countries had any oil they wouldn't be starving

oh yeah, I get your poor attempt at humor.

Your desire to feed the world is commendable but un do-able since we would have to either deal with their corrupt govrnments or overthrow them. The rulers of thes places will siphon off the majority of any aid as they have done in the past; for resale or bribes for things of value. I believe someone once said "the poor will always be with us". If we supported a billion people today, in a short while there would be 3 billion that needed to be supported and then 6 billion, etc. No win situation. Have you considered the Peace Corps?

I should consider the Peace Corps. I'll do a little research into it and perhaps I will join after school.

It might be damn near impossible, but its worth a try.

We might not be able to save a billion lives, but every live saved is worth the effort.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    if such poor African countries had any oil they wouldn't be starving

oh yeah, I get your poor attempt at humor.
    The common folk in the middle east don't seem to be rolling in dough(no pun intended)! Even in oil rich countries the rulers screw everyone else. Africa is rich in natural resources yet they can't get their crap together to support their own people-I fail to see that being the fault of the industrialized nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper51
    So are you saying we should go communist to share the wealth? It sure seems like you do from this post, otherwise why post stupid statistics like this.

By the way you never stated your 18 sources, so I assume it's all crap. All numbers and figures, such as these, can be manipulated to look anyway someone wants them to, especiallly when someone wants to make themselves look good, or maybe even look smart. It's all in how you want to look at them and present them. Most figures like this are half truths anyway so they are unreliable and inaccurate.

I choose to not accept any figure you gave based on the FACT that all numbers are subject to falsehoods and misinterpretations depending on how someone wishes to have them presented...
    OF COURSE we shouldn't go communist. Are you kidding me right now? I have not implied that ONE TIME !!

Communism is a proven FAILED system !!

But we SHOULD increase our foreign aid to the world !!

http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Facts.asp

I copy and pasted the 18 stats from this website.

Sun, are you on a college extemporaneous debating team? It appears to me you enjoy the point, counter point intellectual jousting you engage in here way to much, and way to frequent.

I can only speak for myself. Your philosophizing, liberal ideology and controversial questions are becoming more and more irritating, i.e., let's feed Africa?

I think you know exactly what you are doing, asking questions like that, and making provocative statements, just to stir sh!t up. It causes controversy, and that is being an antagonist. I think it gets you attention, gives you a sense of power (intellectual) and feeds your ego.

That's my belief and I'm sticking to it.

The common folk in the middle east don't seem to be rolling in dough(no pun intended)! Even in oil rich countries the rulers screw everyone else. Africa is rich in natural resources yet they can't get their crap together to support their own people-I fail to see that being the fault of the industrialized nations.

Outside of South Africa (which is a marginal developed country) please name me ONE African country rich in natural resources

please

African states are VERY deprived of natural resources, especially the Saharan and Sub-Saharan states !!!!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Outside of South Africa (which is a marginal developed country) please name me ONE African country rich in natural resources

please

African states are VERY deprived of natural resources, especially the Saharan and Sub-Saharan states !!!!!!!

With the exception of the saharan areas (caused by over farming and poor land management in a large part) other areas have native woods, minerals, tourism (if they were stable enough not to eat the tourists). The land is rich and arable. When our forefathers came to these shores no one stuck a feather up their ass and said, "there ya go sport, you get to rule the world now"-took a lot of hard work for America to become what we are. Let these countries stop killing each other wholesale and they might be able to develop an economy.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool

YOU CAN'T SAVE THE WORLD,SONNY-BOY!BELIEVE ME,ONCE UPON A TIME;I TRIED! SAVE YOURSELF & THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU,LIKE YOU'R MAMA & PAPA! MAYBE ONE DAY,YOU'LL WAKE-UP. IF NOT FOR YOUR-SELF,FOR THEM??? GOOD-LUCK,YOU'R GONNA NEED IT!S/F

With the exception of the saharan areas (caused by over farming and poor land management in a large part) other areas have native woods, minerals, tourism (if they were stable enough not to eat the tourists). The land is rich and arable. When our forefathers came to these shores no one stuck a feather up their ass and said, "there ya go sport, you get to rule the world now"-took a lot of hard work for America to become what we are. Let these countries stop killing each other wholesale and they might be able to develop an economy.

Native woods and minerals don't generate much wealth.

I can't sit idly by knowing that I did not make an effort to improve the lives of those less fortunate.

It is against my conscience. I've lived in other countries and not a day goes by I don't appreciate the fact that I live in the greatest country on earth - the United States of America. And I seek to show that appreciation by giving back to the people of the world.

Thread Information