Iron Coffin?
Create Post

Thread: Iron Coffin?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member

Iron Coffin?

I saw the "Iron Coffin" in SSgt Nelson's photo gallery and one off of Google images.

What exactly is an Iron Coffin vehicle? Is looks big and ugly what ever it is.

yellowwing, I believe the Iron Coffin is the predecessor to our current LAV. I have seen pictures of them in Viet Nam, and I believe they were also called AmTracs.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool

YES~AMTRAC!GAVE US A REAL SINKING FEELING IN THE GUT,COMING OFF THE BACK OF A (LPD)!!!THEY EVEN LEAKED,TO AD;TO THE EXCITEMENT!!!(LOL) S/F

They were a pre-LAV but they are still around. New Tracks just came out not to long ago the triple A Vs, AAAV's or Advanced Amphimbious Assault Vechile. I have seen them in action in Iraq and while they are powerful, I will take my LAV any day. I fully understand why they are called Iron coffins, worst day of my life.

LVTP5A1...
    Very ugly....
    Brothers..They are the original brown water gators...
    Song Tra Bong Delta-Chu Lia 1965/66
    YATYAS
    S/F
    Tim.

Amtracs=Hogs, cause they chew up everything in their path.

Tanks=Bulls, knockout power.

Credits
    Savings
    We called the LAV's coffins. We scouts had to sit on a couple hundred gallons of deisel fuel.

AAV's and LAV two different animals......AAV's Floating coffins, also called LVTs...Large Vulnerable Targets.....the P-5s are the VietNam era AAVs...LAVs came around in mid 80's....faster on the roads than tracs...carried less Marines....

LAV's had 171 gallons of diesel..(I think)
    Gents..LVT's had 480 gallons of gasoline.
    Different time,different place.
    The explosion would rock the ground for 2 miles....God help you if you drove a How 6 ,or an E1.

Thread Information