Worse Training Experience And Where
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Worse Training Experience And Where

I Would Like To Hear Your Worse Training Expereinces And Where? As Far As I Go Two Stands Out. Cold Weather Training On Top Of Mt. Fuji And A Week Long Field Op On The Island Of Sardinia Where It Was About 50 Degrees Riding Around In A M151 Jeep With It Raining Every Day And Night.

For me, Mt Fuji was a great place to live in a tent.

The worse training, well the training that I hated most was cold weather training at Pickle Meadows. 17 foot of snow and a snow hole to survive in. Snowshoes up the mountains and wooden skis back down.
    I liked 29 stumps much better.

Hmmm....Never really had 'worse' training...some places I'd rather not be....Comm skool in 29 Palms sucked, but only because I didn't have a car. Other than that, no place I really hated...

The never forgetfull Marine Expeditionary Camp PoHang...golly that was some "GREAT" fun there. We were so bored we CS bombed (Tobasco and Water in a Gatorade Bottle) the non 03's tent...that was the best part.

I loved all the training I got. Every bit of it. Better off in the field then in garrison.

I absolutely hated running though. Didn't matter where I was I just hated it. Probably because they always do it at the same time every day, round 5:30 AM it seemed

Let Me Reword My Question. I Am Very Grateful For All The Training I Have Recieved From The Marine Corp. I Was Just Looking For The Most Miserable Training.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    Hmmm....Never really had 'worse' training...some places I'd rather not be....Comm skool in 29 Palms sucked, but only because I didn't have a car. Other than that, no place I really hated...

"didn't have a car"!??? LMFAO

Cars are like wives. If the Marine Corps wanted you to have one it would have been issued.

29 Palms was heaven compared to Pickle Meadows.

That's an easy one. Field training in the Adak, Alaska tundra for (I think it was) 3 nights. It was April and rained almost the entire time. Woke up in the middle of the night sleeping in a half a foot deep puddle of water and it was somewhere around 45 degrees out and the wind was blowing hard. Tent blew down and we had no protection from the wind and rain. It was very, very miserable. But we still trained!

That which did not kill us, gave us great stories for our kids! LOL.

Two different miseries come to mine.

DI School was doing annual requals on the rifle range at MCRD PI, I was a student, in DEC 69. The temp was in the low forties, a very light mist of rain and the wind was blowing about 7 left at the 300. I was totally frozen and could not feel my trigger finger by the time we reached the 500. There were some fire barrels, but I would be stiff again by the time I got back to the firing point. Miserable!

Camp Wilson, CAX, 29 Stumps, in JAN 82. When the sun went down and the wind picked up, it was freezing. Especially, at the outdoor showers. The wind blew the CP tent down once in the middle of the night and the troops in the "A" frames weren't real happy either. Slept unsheltered a few night there also. Fun was had by all....... "I just love this sh!t!"

Yeah, 'didn't have a car' LOL. I was a 35 yr old LCpl re-tread stuck in the barracks... Still, it wasn't horrible, just annoying.

I never did the Pickle Meadows thing....and was glad of it, I freakin hate the cold.

Did an Op in 99 on Skiros Island, Greece. Waiting all night in the MRC-142 on the beach for pickup, bent up like a pretzel, cold, miserable, raining, couldn't sleep, couldn't keep warm.

That, of course, was nothing compared to some, but it's one I won't forget.

"If it ain't rainin, we ain't trainin!"

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I went through squad leaders course/ small unit leaders course as a lance corporal. On one of the evolutions we were on a an ambush patrol and I fell asleep..... woke up and ohhhh #%#$%# no rifle. The instructor carried it back to bivouac and handed it to the chief instructor. The chief instructor said guess we don't need a firewatch roster tonight. He handed me his watch and said every thirty minutes I was to wake him up. I had firewatch all night and every thirty minutes I got to wake up a grumpy ole gunny so I could do more mountain climbers and bends and thrusts. Next day I was squad leader and had to do the whole nine with organizing a patrol issuing the order developing a terrain model .... blahh blahh blah. Anyway for the rest of my career I never fell asleep again in a fighting hole or on an ambush patrol.

Ouch. That was a damn hard lesson learned.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up

I HAD A MAJOR MALFUNCTION,ON MY 2ND. JUMP!!!USED MY RESERVE 'CUTE,HIT THE DECK IN A REAR LANDING FALL;LIKE A TON OF LEAD! WAS KNOCKED OUT! WAS ASKED BY THE 'TAC OFFICER'S IF I WANTED TO QUIT? A GREEN-BERET'S SON,DON'T QUIT CHIT;ESPECIALLY WHEN HE IS A MARINE! THEY GAVE ME MY RIPCORD HANDLE,AS A GIFT;AND NICKNAMED ME (RIP)!!!SEMPER~FIDELIS

Amtrac sank

The trac I was towing sank off Italy one night in 79.Killed 4 with the the 8th Marines.Another trac looking for men in the water got plowed into by an LCU doing the same and cut a Corpman in half in the turret while he was helping a Marine that got pulled from the water.I was told he never saw it comming,he was so absorbed with helping that Marine.Some field prolem that was.

I was hot, misrable, tired, hungry, and basically p*ssed off that I volunteered to go

In early 1992, I went to JEST (jungle environment survival training) in the Philippines, and that's a pretty tough school in a pretty hot/tough environment to begin with. But I went through the course right after Mt. Pinnatubo had erupted, maybe like a month or two after. So imagine all that triple canopy jungle falling due to the heavy weight of all the soot and ash, and then us having to hump through, easily crotch high sh*t, and it was like 110 degrees out with no food & water. Granted we didn't wear or have anything more then our boots, cami trousers, and green skivie shirts on, with our K-Bars and a canteen, no pack or anything, but it was still an azzkicker and I was misrable. I easily lost 10 pounds during the time and I didn't really have 10 pounds to lose!

Thread Information