Replacement for the M-16? - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker
    My take on the differences is this. One well aimed round from a 5.56 weapon produces an injury serious enough that it requires the attention of a medic and then 2 more of your enemy to carry him out. You have effectively taken 4 enemy soldiers out of the fight with one little bullet.

One well aimed round from a 7.62 and the medic redistributes the ammo and tosses a poncho over the dead. An M-14 sure is a nice weapon and it weighs a little over 14 pounds. An M-16 is a nice weapon and it weighs just under 8 pounds. Pick up the book "A Soldiers Load".
    As for the killing power of the 5.56, Im not against it because you can carry so many of them on you at one time, but they have no put down power. Yes they kill bad guys, but killing them 2 hours from now wont cut it. No one yells the arabic version of Corpsman up for a Jihadist Martyr with a pound of PE-4 on his chest.

My M16A4 weighs about 9lbs and 12lbs with all the extra doodads that they make you carry. An M14 is almost identical in weight. But if you read my post I never said anything about the M14. I would like to see the Marine Corps go to the Robinson Arms XCR. That rifle can be converted to 6.8 (Best of both worlds) in 5 minutes.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The meat hook thing makes me think someone has been watching too many movies or something.

If I found myself in the war machine searching for a replacement for the M-16 my first impulse would be to call for either the AK-47 or the AK-74. Drop one of them in the mud then run over it with a tank and it still fires like it was brand new. As for house to house fighting I would take a M-16, or mini 14, or MP-5 over any ole big ole elephant gun. You want to reach out and touch someone then call that M-198 battery that is a mile behind you. I'm fairly certain that infantry marines are still trained to call for fire.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    SKILLETS~HAPPY~BIRTHDAY MARINE~WITH YOU'R NEW RIFLE;MAY YOU LIVE TOO SEE MANY MORE!!!GOOD TO GO MARINE? S/F

Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68
    SKILLETS~HAPPY~BIRTHDAY MARINE~WITH YOU'R NEW RIFLE;MAY YOU LIVE TOO SEE MANY MORE!!!GOOD TO GO MARINE? S/F
    Thanks FISTFU68... Ill work on that rifle and on making sure some terroist dont see their next Birthday

Semper Fidelis

Credits
    Savings

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by drumcorpssnare
    10thz- That 45-70 trap-door wasn't all it was cracked up to be. The rolling-block or drop-block versions were much better. I put many rounds down range from my 45-70, and I enjoyed every one of them! It will drop an elk where he stands. And prairie dogs just explode from the hydrostatic shock!
    Of course I was partial to my mountain howitzer with a 3" bore. I used to buy worn-out ball bearings from drilling rigs that were stainless steel. Hung a 2'x2' square 'gong' at 100 paces, and after a few tries, hit it with that 5lb. ball. It wrinkled up that 1/4" diamond plate like it was a sheet of paper, AND ripped it off the chains and threw it another 50yds. down-range! NICE!

Too bad Custer didn't listen...
    drumcorpssnare
    Yeah, It is a George thing not listening

On the "Rock" in '64, on a HQ Battery 'Crew Served Weapon's' shoot all the office poges didn't show up and we had tons of ammo to shoot off and we couldn't bring it back, it was too old. Our skipper designated me and a few others to shoot off all the HEAT & BLUE 3.5 rockets off. It took the better part of the day. I got so good I could hit a human silhouette target at a hundred yards.

The Skipper almost had fatal heart attack twice that day because of me. First he got p*ssed at my ingenuity of carrying rockets from point A to point B like cord-wood. Then the first rocket I fired I flinched and unknowingly jammed the sight forward, by the time I fired my next rocket my tube was almost vertical , it went right over the mountain and the Skipper thought for sure I KIA someone on the other side .

We got so numb firing so many rockets that day, we got careless and starting pushing the rockets into fast, past the electrical contacts and had to break the tube down to pull them out without the spring loaded arming pin jumping out on us, then while doing that the guy next to you fired his, then you though for sure you bought the farm; that applied when you were the loader to... you looked to see if your hands were still there when you were loading and the guy right next to you blasted one off !

SF
    10thz

Bu;kyker========You were not in Vietnam. The meat hook was a common tool used by both hardcore VC and the NVA. I know this for a fact. On Operation Hasting I seen this with my own eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker
    The meat hook thing makes me think someone has been watching too many movies or something.

If I found myself in the war machine searching for a replacement for the M-16 my first impulse would be to call for either the AK-47 or the AK-74. Drop one of them in the mud then run over it with a tank and it still fires like it was brand new. As for house to house fighting I would take a M-16, or mini 14, or MP-5 over any ole big ole elephant gun. You want to reach out and touch someone then call that M-198 battery that is a mile behind you. I'm fairly certain that infantry marines are still trained to call for fire.
    The robinson XCR equals the reliability of the AK/AKM. It also maintians the accuracy and good ergonomics of the M-16

http://www.robarm.com/xcrtm_modular_weapon_system.htm

And Yes, we can and have called for fire.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    THAT'S A BIG AFFIRMATITTY,SGT!ON YOU'R LAST;WE GOT LUCKY IN HAPPY VALLEY.AMBUSHED A BUNCH OF VICTOR~CHARLIE'S.KILLED EVERY ONE OF THE SNEAKY LITTLE BASTARD'S!!!THEY HAD THEIR HOOK'S WITH THEM,THESE WERE MADE OUTTA BAMBOO,AND STRUNG THROUGH SOME PARACHUTE CORD!!! S/F~MARINE

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung
    Bu;kyker========You were not in Vietnam. The meat hook was a common tool used by both hardcore VC and the NVA. I know this for a fact. On Operation Hasting I seen this with my own eyes.
    GYoung..... I apologize. Yes I was just a kid when vietnam was going on. I overstepped I guess. It is a well known fact and part of MC docterine that one well placed round can produce many casualties both ambulatory and wounded.

Would you walk away from a wounded Marine?

Bulkyker===========You were not out of line. You overstepped nothing. You are ok by me.

Thread Information