Spit Shine as I learned it - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spit shining was something we did when I was in. Hated it but it was part of being a Marine then. Also spit shining the leather brim and strap on the barracks cover.

Someone mentioned brass. I recollect our DIs took all our brass and soaked it in something (no body say p*ss) overnight to remove the Quartermaster as they called it. That thin layer of I assume plastic or something. Then it would need to be cleaned every morning. The smell of Brasso still brings back memories.

I remember spit-shining, and the pride of a well done job. Some things stay with you. Now that I am out I work in Public Safety. My first day I spit-shined my boots (I prefer the 5.11 ATAC B boot to those glossy things they issue us) and everyone kept looking at them. I guess I kinda went overboard for the civilian world. The next day all my supervisors' shoes were HIGHLY shined, lol.

Last edited by TLove250; 04-07-10 at 11:19 AM. Reason: rewording

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Funny,,,,,Don't ever remember spittin. Filled the polish lid with water as a coolant. Tee shirt pieces manditory.
    My firefighter son said "Heels Too"? No shet, Sherlock.

I only spit shined my boots once or twice when I was in. After that I never did it again it was a Lance Criminal Buff Shine after that. Oh and yes the leather dress shoes are so much better than cheap Bate's Corofram shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    No, no more spit shining with the new desert boots. However, if you are very, very smart, and know how to spit shine, invest in leather dress shoes. I still have mine from 1982..and wear them for dress uniform police stuff today!

Corfram shoes look pretty, but they will destroy your feet, they don't breathe well at all.

I still spitshine my leathers, and other than replacing the laces now and then, they are still going strong. I use 'real spit' and a Pepsi to keep my mouth from getting dry. Nice used t-shirt, cotton, and plain old kiwi.

You want to impress the Old Corps Marines...wear spitshines! Far as I know, they are still legal.
    Spit shining not only taught you how to shine your dam shoes or boots....it taught you take pride in your work and to try and look your best professional appearance whenever you can. I know and realize that being a Marine that wasn't always possible.....or some other Marines were going to call you a smack ass.....but I always tried to have spit shined boots....at least the toes...as often as I could....and ALOT of Marines of all ranks noticed and commented on spit shined boots....

why I even remember when I was in Okinawa...our Battalion C.O. did a walk through on a personnel inspection and made everyone who had spit shined boots stand front and center in front of the entire Battalion and called them "OUTSTANDING MARINES"....there were only 3 Marines.....and no I wasn't one of them....

Now when I was in, the Marine Corps Order stated only that boots and shoes be "highly blackened"....and most Marines took that as an opportunity to be lazy or let their appearance go slack....but it is sad that most of our traditions are being led away from.....

Thread Information