Few Questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Few Questions

Few Questions

Hey all, first of all i'm not a US resident or citizen, nor have i ever visited the place.

I am trying hard to get some info on joining the Marines or other US military as a non-national, preferably as an officer (i have a degree) or if not i would probably be happy enough going enlisted.

I have emailed the Air Force and the Marines etc but official responces consist of roughly "We aren't allowed help you. Contact immigration".

Ok fair enough i go for my green card/etc then apply.

Problem. I have zero interest in citizenship/residency without getting into the military.
    So you can imagine i'm not overly impressed with the idea of going through the residency etc process only to be told i failed my medical/other and to **** off.

Also i'm not sure if a green card is enough to go to be an officer, as far as i'm aware its stricter then enlistment.

Anyways, i'd really be grateful if anyone could help me out, give me some advice etc.

Thanks.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Generally speaking, in order to become an officer, you MUST be a US Citizen, no exceptions. However, on the enlisted side, being a legal resident will suffice. Probably your best bet is to get your green card first, then try to enlist. Where are you a citizen of, exactly?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Problem. I have zero interest in citizenship/residency without getting into the military.
    Okay you've said that up front, cool. If you just have that hard core desire to be a professional warrior, then in all sincerity check out the French Foreign Legion.

The website I linked to above has a great quote about one of their CPLs that was asked by a reporter what was his country of citizenship. His reply was "I am Legionnaire."

So check it out, it seems like a better fit for you. We need patriots in Our Marine Corps.

Last edited by yellowwing; 11-30-06 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinSoFree
    Generally speaking, in order to become an officer, you MUST be a US Citizen, no exceptions. However, on the enlisted side, being a legal resident will suffice. Probably your best bet is to get your green card first, then try to enlist. Where are you a citizen of, exactly?
    Ok. I really am a bit clueless about the whole situation but is citizenship hard to gain ? Would service in the enlisted ranks speed that on ?

Do i have to be a citizen for a number of years in order to apply for a commisson ? I think with the Brits u have to be in UK residence for 5+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing
    Okay you've said that up front, cool. If you just have that hard core desire to be a professional warrior, then in all sincerity check out the French Foreign Legion.
    Have being checking them out. Again, to be an officer u have to be french. Typical eh, when a frenchman joins them he has to state another country as his nationality but yet they still only allow french to be officers.

The website I linked to above has a great quote about one of their CPLs that was asked by a reporter what was his country of citizenship. His reply was "I am Legionnaire."
    And i have every respect for the legion. I had the fortune of meeting some legionnaires once. Great soldiers, great men.

So check it out, it seem like a better fit for you. We need patriots in Our Marine Corps.
    I thought you needed Marines in the Marine corps.

Obviously its more or less the same thing but if you were asked what you were loyal to, would it be to the corps or to your country ?

I didn't mean to sound like a mercenary but my goal is to have a military career and i like the marines history.

I'm a bit surprised to hear a comment like that, considering the great record of immigrants who have fought and died in the corps. I doubt they were all (american) patriots but i'm sure they were all Marines and were loyal to the corps and their comrades.

5 of the 19 men who recieved the medal of honor twice were born in my country. 258 who recieved it once were born here.

immigrant: a person who comes to a country to take up PERMANENT RESIDENCE

If you cannot say that you are an American or want to be an American, I really don't know that the Marine Corps is your place in life. We aren't the legion, and we like it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    If you cannot say that you are an American or want to be an American, I really don't know that the Marine Corps is your place in life. We aren't the legion, and we like it that way.

Echo Four Bravo here's to you Brother!!

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    Well why would i want to be an American just for the sake of it ?

I'm not saying i don't want to be an American, i'm saying i don't want to be one if i can't get the job i want as an American.

First, I'd say that the Marine Corps does, in fact accept folks from certain countries, into the Corps. Typically, Canada and Mexico. If you aren't from one of them, you'll have to emmigrate, get a work visa/green card, then attempt to enlist. Also, you do, in fact, have to swear an oath to "protect and defend" the United States Constitution, "against all enemies, foriegn and domestic". If you aren't willing to do that, then I'd suggest you (seriously) check out the FFL.

And, you do have to be a citizen to become an officer in any of the US armed forces; it's pretty much that way in any country, for the most part.

http://www.foreignlegionlife.com/index.html#topindex

caismirt you might want to check this out

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    First, I'd say that the Marine Corps does, in fact accept folks from certain countries, into the Corps. Typically, Canada and Mexico. If you aren't from one of them, you'll have to emmigrate, get a work visa/green card, then attempt to enlist. Also, you do, in fact, have to swear an oath to "protect and defend" the United States Constitution, "against all enemies, foriegn and domestic". If you aren't willing to do that, then I'd suggest you (seriously) check out the FFL.
    I think you may have misunderstood me. I have no problem swearing an oath of allegiance to the US and meaning every word if i got into the US military.

All i said originally was i didn't want to go through the process of getting a green card etc only to be told i'm not eligible for a position in the Military for reason x. (e.g > Not eligible for officer)

The point being that the process of getting a green card/citizenship etc seems to be a large amount of work and i have no reason or interest in getting a green card/citizenship unless its to join the military.

Its like another situation, because of my nationality i am allowed to join the Brits military, but to go to be an officer i need to have lived in the UK for 5 years+. Obviously i'm not going to move to the UK for 5 years so that i can apply at the end of the time.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Then the FFL still seems like the best option. Go for it. They will not judge you as harshly as we do.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing
    Then the FFL still seems like the best option. Go for it. They will not judge you as harshly as we do.
    Hey yellowing, thanks for suggesting them but as i already said, to be an officer even in the legion u need to be french.

Are u judging me harshly ? about what ?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Because your attitude is mercenary. You want guarantees and assurances. That's is not what we want in our Marine Corps. That's not the character we look for to train people to become Marines.

Thread Information