New Marine has a few questions
Create Post

New Marine has a few questions

Hello all... I dont knwo if any of you remember me but I posted on here months ago about joining and that I was shipping June 5th for PI. Well I shipped and went thru training and was dropped on TD 54 to PCP (long story as to why) than 2 days later dropped to EHP for pnemonia. I spent close to 2 months in EHP because of that til I finally got back to training to do The Crucible and later graduate with Hotel Co. on Nov. 17th. I have a few questions for existing Marines if any of you could help. First off, I'm in the Reserves (thinking about possibly trying to switch over to active at some point not sure yet) but my questions are, hwo does TriCare work with me being in the reserves and all. Am I still eligible for it or no? Also how does housing allowance work? Do I have to be married to get it or what? I've been trying to find info on it and all the info I find, is over my head and I have no idea what I'm reading means so if anyone could possibly put it in lamens terms for me, it'd be greatly appreciated. Some of th einfo I find on subjects dealing with the reserves says that someone in the reserves needs to be on active duty for 6 mo. or so before they can take advantage of whatever it is they are looking for such as lets say TriCare or what have you. Now if I was active duty for the 6 mo. is there a time limit as to how long I'll be able to take advantage of TriCare or is it I'm active duty for 6 mo. and than eligible to take advatage of benifits for the rest of the time I'm in service?

Sorry if I'm confussing anyone, I'm pretty much just looking for info in the simplest terms as to TriCare and housing allowance as far as the reserves go. Thanks for any help and to prespective Marines who might be reading this, be careful down there. Especially if you get sick, pnemonia is a BIG thing down there and I got it twice during my training, and its not somehting to joke about. I was sick for 2-3 weeks and didnt go to medical for it and fell out of a run and because I wasnt a heat case they found out I had pnemonia and I did a hospital stint for awhile. So just be careful. Thanks again for any and all help. Later

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well I'll be! Yes I remember you and your thread about where you could find a Marine Corps hard hat for your father for fathers day. Congratulations and welcome back Marine. If you look at your profile you will notice that your membership status has been changed to Marine but you will have to change your avitar. As far as your questions about Tricare address that with your reserve unit there have been recent changes regarding reservists. I do know that the enabling factor is now - on active duty for more than 30 days in the fiscal year so you should qualify. You would not however qualify for housing allowances. Could you post a thread in the Former Poolee forum for our present Poolees to gain knowlege from your experiences?

Semper Fi

Jim

how does one become eligible for the housing allowance? reservists I heard are now able to collect almost as much housing allowance as the Active Duty's get but how does one become eligible for BAH? Thanks again and I'll be sure to post in the forum.

I have never heard of a reservist getting housing allowance. If they can, that should be a big perk for the recruiters to use.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/housi...owance_BAH.htm
    on that site uit says Guard and Reserve members are able to get BAH if they are active duty for less than 30 days. But thats all it says. Does one have to be married in order to get BAH also does one have to be a specific rank before being eligible for it? Does anyone have any more info on this? Ill take any info anyone has on BAH. Thanks again in advance

reserves do not rate BAH. you must be active duty or activated as a reservist to rate it. You can also purchase a health insurance policy through tri-care reserve, but I wouldn't recommend it until Jan 2008. Right now the monthly premiums are rediculously expensive. You are better off seeking benefits through your civilian employer.

Thread Information