Question about drinking age.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about drinking age.

I have a friend who is joining the Army soon and he is telling me that when you're in the military, the drinking age is lowered to eighteen. He says that at least two people he talked to who are in the Army told him this. However, this doesn't seem right to me, so I thought I would come here and ask if this is true. Is it?

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Used to be able to on base only if you were 18. That probably has changed. Besides it gets you in trouble. + =$$$ to X 2.
    God Bless Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SamJohnston
    I have a friend who is joining the Army soon and he is telling me that when you're in the military, the drinking age is lowered to eighteen. He says that at least two people he talked to who are in the Army told him this. However, this doesn't seem right to me, so I thought I would come here and ask if this is true. Is it?
    Drinking age is 21.

The only change recently to the drinking age is you only have to be 20 now to drink in Okinawa. Everywhere else is still 21.

Credits
    Savings
    No **** Artillery, I served two years in JP (iwakuni) H&HS and unless you were 21 the SgtMaj their would burn you at the stake I can't imagine Okinawa being that much different I had a lot of buddies their at the time 2002-2004 time frame.

I recall a Sgt with the MPs bought allot of his Marines a case for field day and right before I PCSed the Kuni that Sgt was a Cpl.

Shouldn't we have someone here telling us how you could drink at 18 back in the day? Heck, when I enlisted Pendleton still let 18 year olds drink in the e club, but that changed pretty quickly.

J-Ro, you need to get your facts straight before you say no to something. It doesn't matter how long and how long ago you were stationed there, all things are subject to change....This is a change that was made in the last month, so yes the drinking age is now 20. Whether the commanders of the Marines there allow them to or not, it's still 20!

Credits
    Savings
    Ohh... My Bad Artillery your absolutley right I should have gottom my facts straight what I meant to say was if it's not "21" around the Globe it should be (my opinion).

allot of the stories we had always heard was about Marines acting up on the Blog over their and not acting right when they're drinking. So, as I said earlier (my opinion) it should be.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Don't worry about it Sam - you're WAY too young to be drinking anyway..................

right, because I'm sure none of the Marines in here drank underage while they were in.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You are all right I never drank in the Corps when I was seventeen. I only sipped. And I never had sex with that woman. We always made sure to never drink if given the opportunity.

Credits
    Savings
    [quote=Echo5November]right, because I'm sure none of the Marines in here drank underage while they were in.[/quote

Sh** I knew I would come across like I was saying that
    ,but I guess somebody coming in, in the middle of a conversation would assume what ever the **** they wanted

I don't know one person that takes their first drink when they turn 21, but why the hell should the next Marine not have watch his six if he is under the legal drinking age of 21 I had too and since 1988 all the states had the established drinking of age of 21.

Now, Artillery had stated that the age is 20 in Japan, I'm having a hard-time believing that since Marines get stationed over their and do not enlist themselves under the Japenese Laws, I'm sure for the Japenese their laws are 20 yrs old but I'm positive the U.S. Laws are 21.

Drink up, Drink up!!! but don't think your exempt. Learn your surroundings

Wasn't there a time when Pendleton and San Diego had a lowered on base drinking age that was established to keep young Marines on base instead of going to TJ?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    They would have had to do a lot more than lower the drinking age to keep Jarheads out of TJ.

Samjohnston to answer your question i live next to Ft. Bliss, Tx. and i know the drinking age in the army is 18. They dont want their soldiers going into Juarez, Mexico. I've verified this with many soldiers. Now if your planning on joining the marines just to drink, you better think twice. The Marines dont mess around with the rules and regs. Trust me I know. Good Luck.

Thread Information