Just saw 'Flags Of Our Fathers' - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    I saw the movie today and Eastwood speaks with a moral certitude that is all too rare in our movies, that we extract an unspeakable cost when we ask men to kill other men. It is the horror at such necessity that defines “Flags of Our Fathers,” not exultation.

Awesome movie

I went to see it on Friday night... Showed the true spirit of the Bond of Brothers that I have been blessed to experience as a Mom of a Fallen Marine

Cried through out a good portion of the movie.

Words just can't express my love for the Marines!

Credits
    Savings

Question You tell me

Quote Originally Posted by 10thzodiac
    For weeks now, I have been smoothing the way for my Japanese wife to accompany me to see this movie.

Yesterday before the movie, I promised her lunch at this terrific Mexican buffet close to the theater. Friday morning, I fired up my 'puter to check the show time listings, huh, it is not playing at any close big multi-flick theaters!

I am assuming it is being played only at selected theaters in the Chicago land area. There are many local theaters close but none are showing it, at least not yet anyways. The closest theater is over one hour round trip and for now, she does not want to go. They do have a great sushi buffet close to that theater, but guess who likes sushi and who does not, lol.

Does the movie show anything from the defenders view, because I heard something about that, or was that a Japanese sequel that Eastwood is planning to make ?

SF

10th

Here in Chicago the movie is not being played at most theaters, as if there is no expectation it will do well. The last Movie that I can personally recall them doing this to is a Japanese Munga (cartoon) called, “Spirited Away”, incidentally it was excellent, especially when you could rent the video in English.

Both "Flags of Our Fathers" and the Japanese cartoon I had to drive 20 miles one way to see, passing a dozen closer theaters. Go figure

I hope the above does not deter Eastwoods planned sequel of Iwo Jima from the Japanese perspective. Wouldn’t that be ironic if the Japanese moviegoers would show more interest.

SF
    10th

Credits
    Savings

Question Borat out-box office's Flags Of Our Fathers by 46 million

Total US Gross: $21,572,000

(Last Updated: November 3rd, 2006)

Sunday, November 12, 2006
    LOS ANGELES - A make-believe son of the glorious nation of Kazakhstan continues to rule the American box office. Sacha Baron Cohen's "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan" took in $29 million to remain the No. 1 movie for a second straight weekend, distributor 20th Century Fox said Sunday. "Borat" raised its 10-day total to $67.8 million.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Eastwood's "Letters from Iwo Jima" is supposed to be released in January (if memory serves). That is mainly the Japanese perspective. One of my favorite Japanese actors, Ken Watanabe, plays Gen. Kurabayashi.

Credits
    Savings

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36
    Eastwood's "Letters from Iwo Jima" is supposed to be released in January (if memory serves). That is mainly the Japanese perspective. One of my favorite Japanese actors, Ken Watanabe, plays Gen. Kurabayashi.
    Yes, Ken acted good in "Memoirs of a Geisha". I've read the "Letters from Iwo Jima". Thanks for the heads up on the movie debut, should be very interesting. I found the release date: February 9th, 2007

If Letters... was made awhile back, who would you choose to play Gen. Kurabayashido Mako (Iwamatsu), James Shigeta, Pat Morita or ?

SF
    10th

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I think I'd have to say Mako. Much of "Letters from Iwo Jima" is done in Japanese and I don't know how strong Shigeta and Morita's Japanese was/is as they were both born in the US.

Mako was born in Japan and lived there until he was a teenager (after WWII ended). Of course, I don't know how strong his Japanese was either, but it was probably better than the other two.

Physically, I'd say Mako was closer in stature and, with makeup, facial features to Kurabayashi than Watanabe. Watanabe is 6' tall, Mako was 5'4". Kurabayashi was about the same size as Mako.

Only having seen trailers, but having seen both actors in other serious military roles, I think either could pull off the Kurabayashi role. Watanabe has the advantage of having played samurai numerous times and can pull off that "confident arrogance" a little better.

Credits
    Savings
    Mako would be my choice too ! Wasn't he great in "Sand Pebbles" ?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sand Pebbles was Mako's best role and he was excellent. Too bad he didn't get very many other roles of equal caliber. I'm certain he'd have done well in them. He was pretty funny as the old wizard in the Conan movies.

As an aside, it's tough to beat the late, great Toshiro Mifune at any samurai role, including a general/admiral/damiyo. I've got a large collection of his samurai movies.

I saw Flags of Our Fathers last week while I was doing a job in Georgia. I've read the book and I don't really think the movie did the book justice. Nice try but no cigar! I enjoyed it but not nearly to the level that I enjoyed the book.
    As for an actor for Letters, Watanabe Ken will do a great job of portraying General Kuribayashi, he is a very gifted Actor.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Few movies ever do manage to live up to the books they might be based upon. It is the nature of the medium - not enough time to cover everything and the director/editors have to make decisions. What makes sense to them at editing time might not make sense to viewers in the theater. Especially us nit-pickers who read the book AND served in the Corps.

Look at the Lord of the Rings. Three, three-hour plus movies and they really just hit the high points of the books. And not even all of those. Jackson could have done nine-hour movies for each book and still not get truly in-depth.

Same thing for Flags of our Fathers.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Zulu 36, I did a wikipedia on Toshiro Mifune

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiro_Mifune

and found all his movies and television shows he did. There are some that I have seen, but many that I haven't. I'll have to put on my to do list to join a movie rental service to see as many as I can and some over again, great stuff! Thanks for a good idea

SF
    10thzodiac

Former Marine Lee Marvin and Toshrio Mifune

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

I agree...

Pretty good flick...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There is no way to protray a real war on film, unless you use real rounds and other gear and kill the people in it. The movie of the action must be pretty close to what it was. Every war and action that the military has been in since 1775 is not fun and games. This picture is to show Marine heroes of that island and not to forget them. What they all did, the ones that died and the ones that lived. Everyone of us that has put on a uniform for this country is a hero in his own part, what ever time it was. We did our duty and we stood our watch. We would have been there right next to them since 1775 all the way through, but that is not the way things are. Those Marines and Sailors on Iwo Jima did their duty and have gone down in history forever in awe of us. "Hardcore" If you look on my profile page in my gallery, you will see the picture of the flag raising with Joe's signture. He signed it for me and shook my hand called me Sergeant.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    10thZodiac - and anyone else interested:

I see where the theater release of "Letters from Iwo Jima" has been moved to December 20, 2006 instead of Feb07. Eastwood wants it eligible for Oscar consideration this year.

Thread Information