Sand Fleas in Fall and Winter ??? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    whoah chrisnica Congratulations Marine! I have requested that your status be upgraded to Marine. Welcome back.

Semper Fi

Jim

Thank you.... it is great to be at home and be a Marine.... the Island was the experience of a life time!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was there July through September 68 and I truly do not recall sand fleas. Either they weren't that bad that year or the fact I was from Florida and had literally lived on the beach for the two months prior had something to do with it. I remember all the other miserable crap so I don't think I'm getting senile yet.

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    What does "bahhhh" mean? I hope you weren't questioning her, because she is 100% correct.
    Sounds like a sheep to me....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poskew
    When I said Bahhh I meant it as oohhh noooo, kind of like saying da**. No disrespect or questioning was meant in Bahhh
    Nope still a sheep.. Ha Ha

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was in 3rd Bn out in the boonies... Oct/Dec 1986. The sand fleas were bad until around Dec. (mad sand flea )

1st Bn. sand fleas are a pain.... but we had to lear to deal with them, did we?? NNNOOOOO!!!!!

Sandfleas are the horrible,...and if I remember correctly, they are out all the time in all seasons.

The worst I ever got torn up by a bug was during a field exercise we did in and around MCAS Beuafort one winter. When we first hit the base we all thought it was about the best place in the world. It was the most relaxed Marine Corps base I have ever seen. But, then the bugs hit us, and it was horrible. We were all counting the days until we could pack up and get back to North Carolina.

The sand fleas are so well known, that when you go to the museum on PI there is a life size one there. They are the devil as far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as bug juice. They eat the stuff....

S/F

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    They used to let us use Skin So Soft but made us quit cause the oil clogged your pores and wouldn't let you sweat or something stupid - I think they use it now though. It was the ONLY thing that worked.

ChiefUSMC is so right... I forgot about that big picture of " The Parris Island Sand-Flea".... will never be forgotten, they will hunt my nightmares from now on..hahahaha!!!

I had zero sand flea problems when I was there from May to August. The worst insects on the island are the damn fire ants! They're damn everywhere. And those bites hurt much more than any stinking flea could. Especially at the rifle range when you're snapping in, man. I wasn't sure what was worse, the numbness in my arm, my feet, or the ants .

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PerXes
    I had zero sand flea problems when I was there from May to August. The worst insects on the island are the damn fire ants! They're damn everywhere. And those bites hurt much more than any stinking flea could. Especially at the rifle range when you're snapping in, man. I wasn't sure what was worse, the numbness in my arm, my feet, or the ants .

Maybe the sandfleas just liked the tender skin of !st and 3rd Bn. recruits. 2nd Bn. to tough and stringy.LOL

Don't kill one they will have you find him and have a funeral for the damn thing. I laughed when they said it but after hitting the sand pit I didn't think it was so funny. Oh the memories..

Thread Information