wondering who this poser was...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

wondering who this poser was...

hope i'm not posting this in the wrong place... please forgive me if i did, and point me in the right direction...

i know where this guy is, but need to get info on him, if any of you know anything about him...

he calls himself 'Major General Lawrence Francis Murphy, Jr. USMC' and claims to be still 'active' though 'under cover' after 48 years 'in'!... he still wears uniforms on occasion, complete with unearned general's insignia, even though he was hauled into court for doing so a couple of years back, and told to never do it again...

he flies the corps flag along with the us flag and the pow flag day and night [w/o any night-lighting, no less!]... and is listed in the pownetwork.org website's posers section, but with no real info on who he really was and whether he was really ever in the corps...

his certificate of honorary discharge [which may be genuine] has the name 'PFC Lawrence Walter Bennett' on it and the ID # 1826016 dated march 4, 1960 ... framed certificate is signed by:

W.E. Miller, CW02, USMC
    Marine Corps Liaison Officer, NPRC

d.o.b. is 5/15/1941
    s.s.# 555-09-1162
    current place of residence: Hesperia, CA

he claims difference in name is due to his being 'adopted' even though it's ridiculous to think anyone would believe a 20-year-old could be...

if any of you kind folks know anything of this yahoo, please post whatever info you may have, or drop me a pm... thanks!

best regards, lnl

Let's put a face on this chitbird...

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies166.htm

From this photo I can see he claiming service in Vietnam, the ribbons higher up I can see too well due to my poor eye-sight.
    I think I see a bit of the Purple Heart Medal...some of these ribbons are all screwed up as is the chitbird/a$$hole wearing them.
    Now a question, did he ever served in the Corps?
    The gig-line and the tie seem to suggest that he was once active.

I now believe that this who he really is;

PFC Lawrence Walter Bennett 1826016 USMC
    Dated march 4, 1960

My service number is/was 1687399 from 1957
    So he a few number after me,
    By the years on entry into the Corps

thanks, ricardo!

From this photo I can see he claiming service in Vietnam, the ribbons higher up I can see too well due to my poor eye-sight.
    I think I see a bit of the Purple Heart Medal...some of these ribbons are all screwed up as is the chitbird/a$$hole wearing them.

...i was hoping someone would be able to get a fix on the ribbons... in addition, believe it or not, when he goes out running errands in his camos, he wears both pilot's and paratrooper's wings on his chest!...

Now a question, did he ever served in the Corps?
    The gig-line and the tie seem to suggest that he was once active.

...i'd figured his discharge cert. was real, but if he was out at 19, he'd have been in only 2 years, since he'd have to've been 17 to join, right?... and who could get out in only 2 years?... and why?... his reason would have you rolling on the floor!...

They had two year enlistments back than...SURPRISE

Is that blue and white ribbon, the Medal of Honor.
    Is he also claiming that?
    I saw part of the wings but I was not certain if the were Jump Wings or Wings of a Marine pilot.

More on MilRats Serial#/Date Analysis...

MilRat has it about right on the Serial Number/Date Analysis...

I went to Boot Camp in San Diego in 1957, my SN was 161XXXX. Most others in my Boot Platoon (272, San Diego) had 169XXXX SNs, mine was 161XXXX because I joined the Reserves (1st AAA Bn, Treasure Island) 3 months prior to Boot and my SN was assigned by the Reserve Unit, from a preassigned pool of SN's used by reserve units.

After 169XXXX SN's, male Marine SN's jumped to 180XXXX.

MilRat: Saw that Boot platoon picture you posted recently, made me dig out mine. My platoon picture, summer of '57, taken in the same exact location, with the same two trees in the upper-left and upper-right corners. Small World...

A quick take on this guy---he has all the ear-markings of an enlisted. Squared away gig line, fore-in-hand knot and a position of "Parade Rest". The problem is, I have never seen that position in a personnel jacket. It is normally with the arms at one's side. Most of the ribbons look to be enlisted, ie. the Good Conduct Medal. It is given after 3 yrs to enlisted but not to officers. Two years in the Corps and he went from Private to two star General? Someone help him find a mental ward.

Judge: Fake 'general' probably not fit for trial

By JAMES RAMAGE/Staff Writer

VICTORVILLE — Lawrence Francis Murphy Jr. is absolutely convinced he's a Marine Corps major general.

But the problem is, he really isn't.

And his "delusion" could really be bad for his chances in court, according to Deputy District Attorney Karen Parker-Parent.

Superior Court Judge Jules Fleuret is not so sure Murphy is competent to stand trial, Parker-Parent said Thursday. "He said that (Murphy's) delusion is so entrenched that it may cause him to be unable to cooperate with his own defense, and to fully understand the charges against him."

As a result, Fleuret ordered Murphy to undergo a psychiatric evaluation at a hearing on Wednesday, before the case against him could proceed, Parker-Parent said.

Murphy, 63, is charged with misrepresenting himself as a Marine Corps general to obtain a discount on auto insurance — a felony, according to Parker-Parent, the lead prosecutor in the auto insuranc fraud unit.

He's also charged with one misdemeanor count of carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle in a city, as well as wearing a uniform by an unauthorized person — which violates the military and veterans code, Parker-Parent said.

Murphy is also facing a misdemeanor drunk-driving charge.

Murphy's attorney, Marsha Fitzgerald, did not return phone calls for comment.

Fleuret released Murphy on his own recognizance after his bond had expired on Wednesday, as Murphy had appeared at every one of his hearings to date, Parker-Parent said.

The results of Murphy's evaluation are due on April 27, when his next hearing will take place to determine his competency to stand trial, Parker-Parent said.

James Ramage may be reached at 951-6242 or james_ramage@link.freedom.com.

thanks for all the input, folks!... as for those wings, i've seen him wearing both pilot's and jump wings, on his camo 'fatigues'... he claims to have flown jet fighters, along with being in every 'conflict'/war since '58 in just about every capacity you can imagine, including supposedly being with nato or un forces in bosnia... believes he's in charge of some kind of 'covert ops' and even answers his phone with, 'G-2 special ops'... wanted me to, but i declined, so he insisted i at least answer with, 'General Murphy's quarters'!... is that totally nutty, or what?... if you think that's bad, he claims there's a 'fire team' on the hill behind the house 24/7 to protect him, since he's such a valuable resource or whatever... in hesperia, california, for bleep's sake!... can you imagine how hard it is for me to keep a straight face when dealing with him, day in and day out?... relief is in sight, since he may be heading for his wife's overseas assignment in 3 weeks... will be interesting to see how he can keep up the fantasy, while living on a marine corps base!you're a great bunch!... thanks so much for chipping in with your reliable info... lnlover

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The only Aircraft;this chitbird,is gonna pilot.Is CON-AIR,port side;row 1,seat 6.Our Marine,US MARSHAL,brother's would love too get ahold of this one.It isn't everyday, you get to thump a; Major General,AKA.Major FAKE!!!

PREVIOUS POST BY INLOVER:

"relief is in sight, since he may be heading for his wife's overseas assignment in 3 weeks... will be interesting to see how he can keep up the fantasy, while living on a marine corps base!you're a great bunch!... thanks so much for chipping in with your reliable info... lnlover"

Question for you, InLover Considering this guys age, what are the chances that this guy has a wife that is YOUNG ENOUGH to be assigned to a Marine Corps installation overseas.

I sincerely hope that you get your money, or whatever it is that he conned you out of before he goes to jail or the looney bin. This guy belongs in the 1st Class delusional section.

the assignment is real enough, as is the wife... i met her before she left and she's a civilian working on contract... GS11 i think... worked in private practice, then for the army, until the corps grabbed her... has worked for it quite a few years now and is old enough to be married to this guy...

thanks for your concern, bd, but i'm in good shape, as i don't do anything for money... i'm mainly just babysitting the guy till he leaves and will tend the house and pets while they're both away... i've been doing this a good long time, all over the world, for all kinds of folks, but this is certainly the most 'interesting' gig!

salutes to you all, lnl

found some new info...

he was pfc lawrence w. bennett and was honorably discharged on a "277 - Physical disability without pay" ... "Physical disability, EPTS, established by medical board"...

his official discharge record reads:
    "Discharged by reason of physical disability upon application of the individual. Not entitled to severance pay."

so, it seems he wimped out/washed out, 'cause his induction physical report says he was in good shape with no significant problems... or, could have been something like asthma, from which he may still suffer all these years later... regardless, i'd put my money on the root cause being he was scared spitless of being sent into combat...

his papers say he was an ordinary grunt... and still had 105 days to go for a good conduct medal, when he wanted out... guess they were glad to let him go, for some reason, huh?

Thread Information