Tokyo Rose Passed Away 9/26/06 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Credits
    Savings

Lightbulb Marinewing, Is there such a thing as original thought?

What do y'all think?

But how do you know someone has not "thought that thought" before?
    My thought, EXACTLY!!!

I do not know if there is such a thing as an original thought, but I do know that a completely unique thought has been a personal goal of mine since I was barely conscious.

Who knows if it is possible...our thougts are influneced in so many unnoticed ways by the world around us.

It is nice to know that other people waste their time thinking about this kind of weird stuff too.

If you think you have an original thought or idea, and read about it in a book or magazine, does that article deminish or negate your idea (or thought) as original?

Are we truly influenced, so completely, by our surroundings that our thoughts are merely emalgamations of our existence? We take a little seed of thought here and a little seed there and come up with a third "hybrid thought" which seems to be divorced from either of the "root" thoughts.

Is it possible that your "original thought" was someone elses thought too? Sure! Why not?

What is thought but mental invention? Inventions, such as the Automobile, Telephone, Radar, and the Light Bulb are all examples of inventions claimed by more than one person or organization. Does it make Edison's work and inventiveness any less original to find that an Englishman used a carbon filament for illumination years before? I don't think so.

If you have 1000 thoughts a day and live 75 years you have a lot of thoughts, but so do the other 6 000 000 billion people on earth as well as those all passed away.

I would conclude that we cannot have a truly original thought. One that is not influenced in some way by our experience. I think our minds are tied to that. Even an "original" invention such as the car or light bulb were based on previous concepts (carriage, candle). I don't think our minds can "jump" beyond what we can experience.

SF

Well, I said something snarky about a strange poster, and now that post is gone. You think they'd at least send me a PM or something telling me to knock it off.

And I have seen mods make derogatory statements about those with whom they disagreed, so please guys, don't get all sensitive.

Zodiac is happy just to PM me 30 times a day, I don't think we have to go deleting posts now.

I guess it's okay though. I received an email notifying me of his post wherein I am a "feathermerchant." And by the time I clicked on it, it was gone too.

This does explain however why this place is so slow compared to other forums.

Tokyo Rose

She will NOTbe missed by many people.

MASTER GUNS

Credits
    Savings

Wink I got a feeling

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-GUNS
    She will NOTbe missed by many people.

MASTER GUNS
    More than me and you

Quote Originally Posted by Marinewing
    We shoulda known, it was all a big misunderstanding. . .

Now what about Jane, is she dead yet?
    Comedy.

Credits
    Savings

Wink Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by lucien2
    Comedy.

Thread Information