What can you buy from the PX at recruit training?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What can you buy from the PX at recruit training?

Don't worry, I can read and I know I can't bring anything from home.

I used to have acne, it wasn't like really bad, but it was bad enough that...well yeah, it was pretty bad. I've been using this medication (its just a 2.5% solution of benzoyl peroxide) and it's *gone*. I mean, my face is crystal clear. And it really helps alot not just how I look (no biggy) but how I shave (biggy), I'd always have to scrape and scrape to get the hair, but now I just glide over it and it's gone. As you can see, it'd definitely help in boot to have a smooth face, I don't really care how I look, as that's not important and I've never really had low self esteem from it anyways. It's not like I want to go to boot to show boomer0351swife's husband my pretty face. I just would like it to be as easy as possible, and heck, I kinda like having a clear face.

Anyways, at the PX is it possible to buy this? I can see it now, I know at least one of you is going to be like "You're not there to get pretty". But I'm just curious. It doesn't have to be a particular brand or anything and its a very common product for stores to have, I'm positive they'd have it. It takes ten seconds to apply too, so its not anything that would take time like that.

Again, just wondering if you can buy hygienic stuff like this? I know I can't bring it from home. The list clearly says "Any non-prescription medicine" but it also says in the next paragraph of this book "Recruits buy hygienic supplies at the Recruit Depot PX". So...what can you buy?

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    You will prob have to leave it home, but once you are there and it starts up again, just let your SDI know and you can prob have mom ship you some from home. Just depends on your SDI, they are all diff, but if it causes trouble w/ shaving then that is a ligit excuse to have it. I don't think they sell that at the rct PX.

How exactly would I go about "letting my Senior Drill Instructor know"? Because I was told to never talk to them unless they talk to you first, which is only when you're doing something wrong anyways. Would I just go to the DI House and slap that big hand or whatever to talk to him?

Ma'am, that idea alone is so incredibly scary. I think I'd rather just cut myself shaving for three months.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

good question Achped

Outside the "dutyhut" they have a plank of wood that you rap very hard 3 times (pound the Pine) and then you recite a little speech in my platoon it was

"Recruit ______ requests permission to speak to Seinor Drill Instructor Ssgt. ________ Sir."

Normally followed by

"get your nasty ____ in here recruit."

This is how you can make Drill Instructors aware of a serious family problem or that you would like to speak to the chaplain or dang near anything else also if the Drill instructor(s) tells you to talk to him in private he will have you come to the duty hut and follow the same procedure.

As far as the acne medication I don't remember seeing it at the recruit PX, but of course it wasn't a leasurely shopping trip either

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Request Permission To Speak

Senior Drill Instructors are very easy to communicate with!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

lol

Quote Originally Posted by jinelson
    Senior Drill Instructors are very easy to communicate with!

so true

I too have a problem like this, if you dont know already was on a pill called accutane for my acne and was DQed from meps for 60 days after i am on the pill. My acne is kinda gone but when i shave i get hair bumps. so the doctor gave me two types of cream to use after shaving. He also told me that i was using the wrong type of razor on my face (Gillette 5 blade razor). He told me to buy a special razor called Bump Fighter witch i brought at my local drug store. The hair bumps are just about gone and i dont think i need the cream anymore. But i was wondering if they sell different types of razors or this at the PX for my face?

Awesome! You just reminded me, I can use whatever razor now that my acnes gone, but if it comes back, those stupid two bladed things *destroy* my face.

I'm pretty sure you just get a run of the mill razor though, I mean, its the recruit depot PX

Credits
    Savings
    They sell those 3 blade razors at the rct px, Boom uses the same ones at home, so that is the only reason I know. If it becomes a medical issue, you do need to tell your SDI because not to can cause you to develope cellulitis in your face and to possibly be dropped to the med plt because of it. Believe me, you don't want that to happen.

Good thread.

I used to have really bad acne until I started using a prescription cream from a dermatologist called "Benzaclin." I just apply it once a night on my face before going to sleep. I just assumed that having it at MCRD would be a lost cause and i'd just have to suck it up while I was there. It doesn't cause me issues with shaving or anything like Achped and others, but when I breakout it's just plain horrible looking and they're deep and painful right along my jaw line so whenever I talk it feels like someone is stabbing my face with a knife. Being a prescription medication though, would an SDI still allow my parents to send it or would I just be able to get a prescription for it from one of the doctors at MCRD... or would the SDI just tell me to go away and I would be SOL?

I hope this dont becomes a problem in boot. Lets just hope theres something i could buy at the PX that will fix this.

People, for the most part if you need it they will tell you where, and when, to get it. If you need a medicine it will be peescribed to you by the nice Navy docs at MCRD SD or PI.

Your trips to the recruit PX aren't like going to Wal Mart back home. You go in, get your stuff, and you get out. You don't walk around looking at things, you don't decide that you need to get a few extra things.

FWIW, acne usually isn't much of a problem for recruits. A friend of mine had to delay enlisting because of bad acne. They wouldn't take him until it was cleared up. Then after my time in MRP we ended up in the same platoon. I don't remember seeing one pimple on his face. Its funny but not touching your face etc. does make a difference.

Credits
    Savings
    Not sure about the script.....I will ask Boom about that and see what he says......

Quote Originally Posted by boomer0351swife
    Not sure about the script.....I will ask Boom about that and see what he says......
    Thank you ma'am.

Credits
    Savings
    Just as I though......Leave it w/ you mom to be mailed at a later date, because if you show up w/ it, it will get trashed. Let some time go by and when it becomes a noticable problem, speak w/ your SDI and he will have to approve the mailing of it, but after that you should be g2g.

Thread Information