Day in the life of a Marine *video* - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Whiterabbit, you are a wannabe. Don't take offense in the term, take pride in it.

Of course, you're going to be called that here one way or the other. So it works better if you decide to like it.

As for a swabbie stealing a Marine's girl... its amazing what can happen when some guy pulls the Top Gun trick.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit
    I also find calling me a wannabe is rude and offensive.
    Cry me a river.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I just don't feel comfortable being called a wannabe and hope people can respect my wishes when I ask them not to call me that. Perhaps a Prospective Future Marine would work better, PFM, lol.

Eh, its a personal feeling I've got.

To answer Barrett's question, I would not find it funny if Marines did that to Navy guys. I have respect for all branches and, it may be me, but doing something like this is rude. I'm sure they had good intentions, but it just came off as a "F You Marines" kinda thing.

EDIT- I just watched it again and I still didn't find it funny. Humerous, sure, but funny not at all.

I just don't feel comfortable being called a wannabe and hope people can respect my wishes when I ask them not to call me that. Perhaps a Prospective Future Marine would work better, PFM, lol.
    Well get comfortable with it, you are a wannabe and so is everyone else here without a rank under their screennames. It's not an "offensive" term.

When a drill instructor says something to you, are you going to tell him you don't feel comfortable being called names and ask if he would kindly respect your wishes?

Grow some thicker skin and quit being so easily offended.

Credits
    Savings
    Accord, don't even start with me. Your opinion means little to nothing to me, as mine should not mean anything to you. But I respect you and whatever your wishes are, and I expect the same in return. If not, then you aren't worth the turd stain on the bottom of my shoe. Who gives you the right to call me out and presume to act as if you know me? Getting yelled at by a Drill Instructor and getting called a wannabe by Marines or poolees are two different aspects entirely. One, you have no choice in the matter, and the other, you hope those that say it will man up and comply. I'm not a Marine, but I still deserve the same damn respect as anyone else on these boards.

That had to be the dumbest video I have ever seen! When you're the finest the world has ever seen, you sort of get use to people taking cheap shots at you. Not everyone can just become a MARINE! If that were so, we wouldn't even need to say, "THE FEW, THE PROUD!" OORAH! As for that 30 seconds later. Yeah right, Marines "Play Hard!" Get Some! Poolees don't take everything so serious. Lighten up. Stay moto and keep posting idiotic stuff that makes me laugh. This former K-Bay MARINE loves it!

Accord, don't even start with me. Your opinion means little to nothing to me, as mine should not mean anything to you. But I respect you and whatever your wishes are, and I expect the same in return. If not, then you aren't worth the turd stain on the bottom of my shoe. Who gives you the right to call me out and presume to act as if you know me? Getting yelled at by a Drill Instructor and getting called a wannabe by Marines or poolees are two different aspects entirely. One, you have no choice in the matter, and the other, you hope those that say it will man up and comply. I'm not a Marine, but I still deserve the same damn respect as anyone else on these boards.
    Quit your whining and grow some thicker skin.

I stated no opinions. You are a wannabe plain and simple just like me and everyone else without a rank under their screenname. Wannabe is NOT an offensive term. I cannot put it in anymore plain english than that, now get over it and stop being so damn sensitive.

Whiterabbit, you do not deserve the same respect as everyone else on these boards. You deserve the same respect as every other poolee on this board. This site is designed for Marines, not for those wanting to be Marines. The admin of this site is kind enough to set aside a portion of the site for you all to come and ask questions and interact with Marines. In that interaction is quite routine for the poolees and those yet to swear into the DEP to be called "Wannabes" simply because you want to be Marines. Over time the wannabes have adopted the term as well. So that leaves us with three groups of people here. Marines, people somehow connected to the Marine Corps (usually family or friends, sometimes just respect for the Marine Corps), and wannabes.

You need to understand that you will be called a wannabe by those on this site as long as you stay here. There is no offense intended by the term, but at the same time nobody here is really going to care a whole lot if you don't like the term.

Everyone is entittled to their own opinon, however since this is a MARINE'S site, MARINES get to lay the law down. We consider everything put out before us and we rule fairly. WhiteRabbit I understand where you are coming from. When I think of the word "wannabe" it means a person who wanted to be something but couldn't hack it." I personally don't like the word and I don't call my poolees that. Those who are interested and have not yet dep'ed, I call "potential prospects." I like how you worded what you would like to be called instead. Way to handle the situation. I will ask my Ssgt to take a look at this thread and tell us what he thinks. In the mean time poolees/prospects, listen up! "NO ONE IS TO CALL WhiteRabbit A "WANNABE" FROM NOW ON!" I'm not interested in your opinons/comments on the matter. Stay moto and don't take life so seriously.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Respect Is Earned Not Given

WhiteRabbit Im sorry that you dont like the classification of Wannabe which I always capitalize to show respect and proper name. The term Wannabe is used on these and other boards and is in no way meant to be rude or demeaning. There are some Marines that believe that Wannabes have absolutely no place on these forums to be recognized. They feel that Wannabes are all equally worthless as they have made absolutely no commitment toward our Corps as the Poolees have. I believe if it were not for Wannabes we would not have Poolees so they are important. No decision needs to be made in this matter if you read our rules they say "Attention Poolees and Wannabe Members" If you are unable to take being called a Wannabe you will never be able to make it through recruit training. My advice to you is to either step forward and see a recruiter and make the commitment to be Poolee and accept the challenge to earn the title Marine. Or go some where that you will feel more comfortable with those that will allow you to make the all rules and create your own culture.

That being said Wannabe WhiteRabbit and Poolee accord please stand down from your disagreement!

Jim

sniffle sniffle sniffle .....are you kidding me ? Dude your going to be a Marine (maybe) . You cant handle someone calling you a wannabe ...lol....Good luck in boot camp. I dont know if you knew this but Marines are kind of rough around the edges and pretty much straight to the point. Nobody is going to have time to whisper sweet nothings in your ear and give you hugs whenever your feeling a bit down. Get f'n real.
    Oh and of course that video was stupid. Its not a documentary, its satire. Made by some semen ( yeahs I said it ) who have obviously been around jarheads. And while of course that video doesnt portray all Marines correctly , believe me , there are plenty of jarheads out there , who do speak in grunts and clicks , who do go to bars and think theyre the badest mofos in the valleys , and who as soon as they get a few drinks in them lose all inhibitions. Thats whats funny.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for the words, LEADEROFMARINES. And for all the poolees who think they know me and what I represent or what I can accomplish, obviously know very little. Like LEADEROFMARINES said, wannabe sounds like someone who couldn't hack it.

By the way, trust me when I say, and if you looked at my profile you would know, that I am only 17 and a month and a half to go until my 18th birthday. I will be DEPed in at that time, and I suppose the word 'wannabe' won't be in my vocabulary anymore. I, for one, won't call anyone a wannabe. It just sounds too rash.

Outlaw, if a Drill Instructor is screaming in my face, calling me a wannabe, or insulting, I honostly would not care. Its a different circumstance which you could not possibly compare the two situations. I don't need someone to whisper me sweet nothings. I don't need someone to hug me. Dammit, just give me the papers, do away with the shoddy law, and send my arse to boot. I don't have to prove anything to any of you because, in all honosty, I don't know any of you and you most likely won't be in my life later on.

I've kind of lightened up to the fact of being called a 'wannabe', but it makes my blood boil when it makes me feel the person thinks I cannot hack it. Do what you will, call me what you want, time will only tell weither or not you were right and by God I will do everything in my power as a living being to disprove this word.

Much love to the Corps and the Marines.

White Rabbit you have proven that we are right. You can wait to sign the papers, thus you Want to be (wannabe) a Marine. Like I have said, it is in no way intended to be insulting or anything else. It is just a term that is used. Trust me, I have used much worse with Marines and never intended to be insulting then either.

That said, since it does bother you so much, I will try to refrain from calling you a wannabe. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but I won't go looking for your posts to say it either. When it does, remember it doesn't mean I don't think you can hack it.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Shoot, im a poolee and still call myself a wannabe since im just floating in the pool right now. When I go to boot, ill consider myself not a wannabe anymore, but till then, regardless if im a poolee, I just wannabe a Marine. haha. Hence the term wannabe.

Quote Originally Posted by FooDawg
    Shoot, im a poolee and still call myself a wannabe since im just floating in the pool right now. When I go to boot, ill consider myself not a wannabe anymore, but till then, regardless if im a poolee, I just wannabe a Marine. haha. Hence the term wannabe.
    I'd rather be a Wannabe in the pool than a Civlian whos not even trying

Thread Information