Ive Lost All Moto
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Unhappy Ive Lost All Moto

Well after a year or so of waiting for boot camp and being delayed and delayed again, I find out 2 days before I leave that I can't do two dead arm pull-ups, so I can't go. Ive lost all motivation. I feel like I have failed myself and the Corps and I don't know what I can do anymore.

I have worked my ass off, ive been running to get my run time down to about 11 minutes, i can do almost 100 crunchs, but the only thing holding me down is the DAMN pull-ups. I have worked so hard to get to where i am, and thats still not good enough. If i can't do what im suppose to do to get to boot camp then theres no way ill ever get through boot camp.

There is nothing i wanted more then to be a Marine. Ive always been a person that is looked down upon becuase of my past or because of what I do or how i look and ive never had much self motivation or confidence. I felt that the Marines could change that about me and it did.

But im left here, no future, no moto, nothing...
    I don't want to quit like i have but ive got nothing else to run off of. My dad thinking i should just quit and get a job and try and get to a community collage (due to my grades in high school ill never get to a real one unless i take that route).

I don't know whats left...I don't want my old life style of getting high and partying all the time with some low paying job getting no where in life, but at the same time i don't want to wait another 4 or 5 months to ship to boot camp again, I have waited too long to just wait and wait again

Instead of becoming depressed about having to wait a few more months until you can ship, how about using that time as an opportunity to get yourself stronger, so that two pull-ups becomes easy? If you are sure that you want to become a Marine, then realize that after you do you will very often have to overcome challenges greater than doing two pullups, physical and otherwise. Keep in mind why you enlisted in the first place, and what your alternatives are. Many people (myself included) had to overcome several obstacles before they could even ship to boot camp to earn the title Marine. The harder you work for it, the more it will mean to you once you attain it. I got myself to (and through) boot camp by thinking about other Marines ahead of me, the difficulties they had gone through, and the challenges overcome. If pull-ups are really the only thing holding you back, start working on it like you really do want to become a Marine. Do them whenever you can. Since the minimum is only two, you won't get very far by just hanging at the bottom of the bar with your arms stretched out while you struggle to get halfway and kick your legs and scream in frustration. Have a buddy lift you up at the waist, or use a machine that lifts some of the weight for you and make gradual progress. It will take time and dedication, but it will be worth it in the end. When you lose motivation, that is an indication that you should start to work harder, not just drop everything and quit. That is not what Marines do, and therefore it is not something that somebody who wants to become a Marine should do. Keep your head up, keep working on it, remember why you took the oath in the first place, and don't be afraid to ask other people for help. Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    MIDNIGHT,

So you want to be a Marine. Well DO IT! a true Marine will not let obsticles stand in his way. so you have problems with pull-ups. keep up you work on runs and cruches and work harder on the pull-ups. if you want it you will get it, and don't let any SOB tell you you can't.

Once you get off the bus, your motivation will return, and faster than you think it will.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Aw bullfeathers! You are lucky that you were delayed, if you were sent you would have been dropped to PCP (physical conditioning platoon). Believe me thats not a good place to go. Now pick yourself back up and think moto. This is not an obstacle that cannot be overcome. You must build your upper body strength now and in a couple months you will be good to go. We have some others on this site that had the same problem but do no longer. Attend the Poolee Hall Chat tonight and you can get some scoop there. Do a search of this site for pullups and armstrong method. Research the Armstrong method it really works. Now breath, relax, smile and get er done!

Brother:

Step back a pace.. you said you have your running, crunches, and everything else down..

What does that leave? JUST PULLUPS... GET WORKIN! You going to let ONE exercise get in the way? Focus on those pull-ups.. just keep doing them religiously.. you'll be fine.

STAY MOTIVATED!

Maybe its your technique yung'en,explain to us how your doing your pull ups, is it from a dead hang or what.If thats the case its gonna be harder if you dont have arm strength,shoulders and back.Once you get that 1st pull-up going and as your coming down use your momentum from your body to kip you back up.A good way to build upper strenght is put your feet on a chair and do push-ups that way,there is so many ways to building upper body strenght.Tell us your technique,we'll get you thru this hurdle.

So,you want to give up,well thats easy just feel sorry for yourself,or you can get your ASS and Head Wired Together. I could't do them either,but in Boot Camp I did so much PT it just became easy. You have to live your life,for you,nobody else. " I Will Never Surrender Of My Own Free Will,While I still Have The Means To Resist"..its mind over matter. Now get your thumb out of your moth and stop thinking you can't. Can't means I won't,and won't is not in the Marine Corps Handbook. And as far as your Past goes,you learn from your mistakes,only stupid people keep making the same ones over,and over.
    OK, so your not a F**KING genius, neither I'm I. My grades in High School didn't add up to a Ivy League College,but I went to College in the Corps,so can you...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm with Jinnelson on this one - BULLFEATHERS! What were you doing with your pullups allllllllll that time you were in DEP - doesn't sound like you were practicing them pullups. If you had, surely to goodness, it would have been enough time to get better at them. You didn't just find out 2 days before you were due to ship that you couldn't.

If you REALLY want to be a Marine - you'll do what you have to do to make sure you get it. Now I suggest you get that hang bar put up in a doorway in the house and PULLUP!

Get MAD at those pull ups, you gunna let 2 pull ups stop you ? yell, cuss, scream, fight those pull ups dont NOT give up on me. If Its what you want then get it its right there in front of you.

Its Delayed for a good reason, last thing you want is the Drill Intructor seeing you cant do 2 pull ups. Then going to PCP platoon to get the two pullups, and then being in Bootcamp longer, and getting in a new platoon.

Wow did someone say moto?

" I Will Never Surrender Of My Own Free Will,While I still Have The Means To Resist"

You have a choice. Get your butt in gear and learn to do the pullups already. Put a bar up in your house, garage or yard. Make a point to work at it every spare moment. Only you are holding yourself back. If you believe you can't do it, then you won't. Believe you can and work at it hard enough and you will.

Angel

What I dont understand is how you just found out you could not do 2 dead arm pullups, 2 days before you were suppose to ship, and you have been in DEP for "a year or so". I am not one to feel sorry for people.

But I do see alot of heart in the rest of your post. The fact that you care is always a plus. If you really want to be a Marine, then you gotta push yourself untill it hurts, then do some more. The quote, "Pain is weakness leaving the body" didn't come from the army! It looks to me that you got your crunches and run time in good shape; Don't let 2 pullups get in your way. You might not WANT to go to the PCP, but it might just be the ideal thing to do. You won't have the option to slack off, and you will see a BIG difference real quick.

Don't give up, don't lose faith, don't lose moto. MANY people have faced far worse problems going into bootcamp. So stop feeling sorry for yourself and make a stand!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Last edited by jinelson; 08-13-06 at 11:55 PM.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    C'mon brother you can do it. It's just TWO pullups! You can't let two pullups stand in your way. DON'T GIVE UP!!!! I'm sure once you get to boot camp, there's gonna be times when you wanna quit. But if you want to be a Marine you will not quit. EVER. MARINES NEVER QUIT!!!!!

"One day, you may get killed with your own rifle, but the bastard will have to beat you to death with it because you ran outta ammo!!"

Thread Information