Question to all the Old Salts - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Usually when you can ID another Marine by a Cap,belt buckle or T-shirt etc. A Semper Fi greeting with a handshake starts great conversations.

Being one of the "older Marines" I find it very satisfying when a younger Marine--active or former--comes up to me and introduces himself. It usually doesn't take long at all before we begin to feel as if we have known each other for a long time. One thing about Marines is that they love to talk to another Marine regardless of his age etc. Always getting invited to coffee get togethers around town by groups of Marines also as stated in another post Marines aren't bothered by embarrassment

When I am working my part time job at a large home improvement store,I meet lots of people especially former Marines,it seems to me that we all are held together with a common thread The USMC,the age of the Marine does not really matter.I have met Former [legend]Marines that fought on Gaudlecanal,Tarawa,Iwo Jima,Korea,Vietnam,peacetime,Iraqi-Freedom to present.We are all the same,except for the time frame we served.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Being that I was never in the Marine Corps but I do have a son who proudly served I would never call myself "an Old Salt"...I might just call myself "an Old Coot". LOL
    Anyway, I personally have had Marines come up to me when I'm by my truck, which has a "Proud Parent of a U.S. Marine" decal on rear window, and say, "Semper Fi". I aways respond, "On behalf of my son and his fellow Marines...thank you". With that in mind, I have often walked up to people who were wearing Marine Corps t-shirts or covers and asked, "Which Battalion and Regiment were you assigned?" To my surprise and dismay most have said that the weren't in the Marine Corps or Navy Seals etc., etc. Then I say to myself, "Why the poop are these people wearing clothes/covers that are identifying them as U.S. Marines etc. when they aren't?", but that's another topic and ball of wax.
    All in all, it is not too surprising that family members of Marines, past and present, and Marines develop a bond of mutual respect. May it always be that way.

Perhaps they are wearing the stuff just to show support. Nothing wrong with that, esp if they readily admit not serving.

BTW, "Semper Fi" is always what I use....and it always works...I've yet to meet a Marine that doesn't want to swap sea stories...

Semper Fi and a handshake works everytime.

I was just leaving a fine restaurant last night that was honoring all veterans with a free entree when another former Marine spotted my cap ahd hailed me with a loud "Semper Fi, Marine". This led to a conversation of at least 15 minutes while my Army buddy and our wives stood around haplessly while we reminisced about the places where we had been in the Corps. We both kind of wondered why there wasn't a loud roar coming from out brother Marines who we knew had to be around somewhere drinking up a storm as Marines do (well I had, ummm, lemonade)

Yeah, a good hearty Semper Fi will do it every time...

I got out in 63, OLD Marines are thinking like young MARINES. Lets do what we can and do it together! as the OLD SALTs said to me "GUNG HO" we work well together. I found a simple Semper Fi got the job done.

Offer him a shot of Ever Clear and he will talk your leg off.

Quote Originally Posted by iamcloudlander View Post
    Being one of the "older Marines" I find it very satisfying when a younger Marine--active or former--comes up to me and introduces himself. It usually doesn't take long at all before we begin to feel as if we have known each other for a long time. One thing about Marines is that they love to talk to another Marine regardless of his age etc. Always getting invited to coffee get togethers around town by groups of Marines also as stated in another post Marines aren't bothered by embarrassment
    I can identify with what you've said and agree completely!

question to salts

gy sgt ret, I know you or anyone else can not embarase me. What people think and do, are usually two different things. Semper Fi, Ready-App.

Thread Information