MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (July 27, 2006) -- Marines located at a forward operating command post outside a base in Iraq received reports of insurgent activity in the area. The Marines reacted proactively to stop an unnecessary incident from occurring. If it weren’t for accurate reports and information provided by intelligence analysts, the Marines could have been in more trouble than they were aware.

Lance Cpl. Andrew D. Newland, an intelligence analyst with Headquarters Company, Combat Logistics Regiment 27, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, and other Marines in his job, have the duty of collecting, recording, analyzing, processing and disseminating information or intelligence for Marines within the unit.

“This is a great (military occupation specialty) to have in the Marine Corps,” Newland said. “Although we have to sign up for a five-year enlistment, I don’t mind because I know how important intelligence gathering is during this day and age’s kind of war.”

Newland, like many others, joined the Marine Corps to partake in a life that offers more than working a nine-to-five job.

“I needed to get away from where I was,” the Indianapolis native said. “I needed a stepping stone to a better life than what I was leading at the time. The military seemed like a pretty good option.”

Newland explained, upon deciding which branch to join, the Corps seemed to be the most favorable branch to enlist in because Marines are well known for their innovative and resourceful approach to the challenges of warfare.

“I didn’t want to go halfway,” he said. “This branch is the most respectable military organization around, not only in the states, but in the world.”

Newland positioned himself on the famed yellow footprints of Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, Calif., during April 2004, and later went on to his school at Virginia Beach, Va.

He attended the Naval Marine Corps Intelligence Training Center where he learned correspondence, terminology and the basic structure of how the intelligence side of the Marine Corps operates.

“We were taught general knowledge of being an analyst,” Newland said. “I learned everything from monitoring enemy tactics to being familiar with all phases and facets of intelligence operations.”

His first duty station was Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, N.C., with Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron 2, 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing. This was an opportune place to hone not only his occupation, but also his basic understanding of how Marines conduct themselves outside a training environment.

“Cherry Point was a great atmosphere to be in,” he explained. “Having great (noncommissioned officers) and (staff noncommissioned officers) really helped me to learn my job before deploying to Iraq.”

Although Newland was with 2nd MAW, he was told he would be deploying with 2nd MLG in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom at Camp Taqaddum, Iraq.

“When I found this out, I was a little hesitant,” he said. “It was like being the new kid in school. One minute you are comfortable and the next you are uprooted and sent to a new section or unit. But the sooner you realize this is an aspect of military life, the better off you will be in the Marine Corps.”

Even though Newland was excited to deploy, his parents didn’t share the same enthusiasm.

“They weren’t looking forward to it of course,” Newland said. “I don’t know of any parent who would be excited to have their son or daughter going to a combat zone. Even though I was going to be in Iraq, they still supported me 100 percent.”

It wasn’t until Newland was sitting in the plane flying to Iraq, watching an in-flight movie with his M-16 A2 rifle at his feet that he realized he was going to be in Iraq for the next seven months.

“Five years ago, never would I have thought I would be going to Iraq,” Newland said. “Once I was there, I made the best of it. In fact, in the end, I enjoyed being there.”

Once he stepped foot back in the states, Newland said he realized there is nothing better than being back home.

“Seeing family, friends and catching up on all the things I missed over the months was my top priority,” he said. “Shortly after returning, I (permanently changed duty stations) to Camp Lejeune and found out I would be with 2nd MLG again.”

The transition from bases was no stretch considering he spent some of the most eventful months of his life with the Marines of 2nd MLG in Iraq.

“The only difference between the places is the level of motivation,” he said laughing. “Cherry Point is an air base, which basically means everyone is laid back. Here, Marines’ performance in everyday tasks is done with a certain level of tact and professionalism. It is, needless to say, a nice change of pace.”

After being in garrison for a number of months, Newland was informed that he will be heading to Iraq again, but this deployment will span an entire year.

“Once I heard the news, I wasn’t surprised or nervous,” he said. “I know how to handle myself over there. And going to Iraq is just something we do. Just don’t tell my parents I am looking forward to it.”

Ellie