Poolees - Why Did You Choose The Corps? - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Well, if he thinks he can play druggie mind games with us.......he loses!!!!! what we damn sure do NOT want in our Corps is a fuggin druggie. If he is no druggie then he knows I mean no offense, however if he IS a druggie I would love to convince him that a drug free lifestyle is in order....Marine style of course...I am quite sure a few brothers and sisters would agree and assist me in that endeavor...

When do we leave?

Credits
    Savings

J-ro

Quote Originally Posted by wsimkins
    Ah, but J-Ro, young pups is what I call all my wayward children. Point being they need to concentrate on earning the title and eventually the sword will come.
    Simkins, as pooles they sound like they will be their soon enough, I remember when I wanted that sword and dispointed that I didn't get it right off the bat, So... I worked harder!

As far as you calling them young pups I disagree, but you cannot teach an old Devil dog new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by J-Ro
    Simkins, as pooles they sound like they will be their soon enough, I remember when I wanted that sword and dispointed that I didn't get it right off the bat, So... I worked harder!

As far as you calling them young pups I disagree, but you cannot teach an old Devil dog new tricks
    I'll drink to that......Cheers

PS - When they graduate can we call them "Shower Shoes"?

Credits
    Savings
    lol, Yeah, cause technically, they might be Marines... but their just in the Corps just like "shower shoes" but their undefined (they have not been through Anything i.e school, MCT (Marine Combat Training) the Fleet. The one thing I realized when I was finished with Boot Camp was that my DI's held our hand for the transformation after that it was on me too be the Marine.

Semper Fi

There is an S at the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Drooo
    Marine Corp

Its Marine Corps. There is an S and several people have already made this known.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I don't want to slight the other branches, but why would someone choose to join the army instead of the Marines? What does the army have to offer that the Marines don't? (besides the reason that they didn't want to face the Marine DI's, or that they had a family tradition...)
    Perhaps there are people that don't like the discipline of the Marines?

I should add that besides more idealistic reasons for choosing the Corps, Full Metal Jacket does a good job of making one interested in the Marines imo that Drill Instructor is fierce, lean, and very mean

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyn
    What does the army have to offer that the Marines don't?

You mean besides the 3 million you can get in bonuses? The fact that you can pick your specific job training? You can be a senior citizen and still enlist? You can pick which base you would like to be stationed at?

I think to choose the Marine Corps over the Army you really have to want to be a Marine, not just be in the military. If you just want a job, or money, or to get an education, there are definately easier ways to go about doing it.

Credits
    Savings
    I meant more in the fact that it strikes me as the equivalent of, given the choice, choosing a community college over an Ivy League college because the community college gives you a free laptop and you don't need to work as hard. Just doesn't really add up to me
    But I guess everyone has different objectives in life

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Teddy - you would be surprised at the number of people that go in the Corps thinking that they can do it and get dropped - not because they can't do it physically but because they can't do it mentally. They have the preconceived notion that Marine Corps bootcamp will be just like the other branches and they'll get liberty, get to smoke, and all of that other stuff.

A lot of folks think that joining the military (no matter what branch) is all about having somebody tell you what to do ALL the time. That ain't it at all..................

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound stuck up about the whole Marines thing... I'm very worried about not making it through boot camp and I realise that my survival is by no means assured... I get nervous just thinking about the idea of being sent home and facing friends and family with news of my failure

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyn
    Just doesn't really add up to me
    Doesn't add up to me either, but some...well, most are very sastified with doing less for more.

I don't know how true this is but it is said that Marine Lance Corporals have more authority than many supervisors and junior executives in many large corporations. I do know that I have heard of Lance Corporals on an army facility getting in trouble for marching their troops in formations, and this is something that is NOT at all unusal in the Corps cuz the corps taught us that the senior Marine always takes charge and marches the formation to wherever they need to go. You have authority at every rank above private in the Corps and you are expected to use it properly every time you need to.

Well said Camper51!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Nothing to worry over teddy - if you want it bad enough you won't fail. Marine Corps bootcamp is physical, yes, but for the biggest part it's all pyschological - it's human nature that when somebody tells you that you CAN'T do something - the harder you try to show them that you CAN! If you give yourself failure as an option - then you will eventually fail. DIs get all up in your face and try their damnedest to convince you that you will NEVER make off (insert MCRD Depot here). Don't ever let one convince you that you don't deserve to have that TITLE!

Thread Information