Criminal background question!!!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Criminal background question!!!

Im trying to get into the marines and i have a criminal record. I have 8-9 speeding tickets, ive been on probation for running away when i was younger, ive been on house arrest last year for driving under a suspended licence and also just got off off probation this last february for driving on a suspended licence. When i was younger i may have a joyriding charge on my record also. Is this to much for the marines to take me in? please any comments will help!!!

talk to a recruiter, they will be able to best answer and all questions you may have. I do know you cannot join while on probation.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The Marine Corps looks at juvenille and youthful offenses the sames as all others. You will need a waiver. You can not be on probation or be under any type of ongoing court action in order to process for enlistment. A recruiter will need to run court and police background checks to ensure the status of your offenses are all closed. You will also need to have a few character references and your probation officer will have to submit a recommendation in order to process a waiver. Hopefully, you have information and accomplishments that will outweigh these issues and show others how you have matured since the offenses.

Question What can i do?!?!

While I'am in no current probation matters I would like to ask if you guys have any suggestions on what i can do to make myself look more eligible, and also some examples of who I should get to fill out my character refferances. I'am honestly not a trouble maker, I was just a confused kid. I know i have what it takes to be a United States Marine and I would like to be given the opportunity to earn that coveted title. Thanks

i think you can get some of that exsponged if it was while you were a minor. at the most i think you would need to take some college classes. you shouldnt have much proublem when you see the recruiter as long as you have a high school diploma. its really hard to have a GED and criminal record.
    just make sure you tell the recruiter every thing that is on or might be on your record. GL with everything

Yeah I do have a GED and a criminal record.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    You're going to need to get 15 credit hours of college level courses ( 100 and above ), else there will be a small chance of you getting in. For instance, my local Recruiting Station only sent in 4 G.E.D. applicants for all of the last fiscal year.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Having the college credits is the best way to overcome the GED issue. As far as your police record... The question is "Have you ever been charged, arrested, fined or convicted of any crime to include minor traffic offenses?" Having things exponged will not change the answer. The answer is still "Yes." My suggestion is that you bring your desire to join to the attention of someone who is in a position to look into these matters based on their position in government. It is true that recruiting stations get very few GED slots. In fact, less than two percent of all enlistments will be GEDs/non HS grads. For this reason you will need to be well qualified on the ASVAB (50 AFQT or higher). Take the ASVAB if you can. Have another service test you if need be.

My friend was going to do the buddy system with me and he was in your same situation. he had a GED and a criminal record with 10 speeding tickets and a battery charge. the recruiter said it would take him a year to take the necessary night school class to have the GED overlooked. GED spots are very competitive and there is almost always going to be someone trying to get in with a GED that doesnt are anything on there record. what my freind did though was he joined the army and once his 3 yrs is up he will be able to join the Marines. its not the best way to go but if it is going to be impossible to pay for community college classes then that is one option. I am not sure how that really works but i thought it would help you to know. i would definately call the recruiteing station near you and talk to a recruiter, you will be able to join it just might take a little hard work on your part and the recruiter.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    How does someone go about getting so many speeding tickets? I'm 24 and I've only had 2 speeding tickets in the 8 years I've been licensed to drive. Don't get me wrong, I speed, but I don't do it in front of police officers, over and over and over X 3 again.

I just don't get it...

karkrazy, with your traffic wrap sheet, there ain't a better name for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixguns
    Having the college credits is the best way to overcome the GED issue. As far as your police record... The question is "Have you ever been charged, arrested, fined or convicted of any crime to include minor traffic offenses?" Having things exponged will not change the answer. The answer is still "Yes." My suggestion is that you bring your desire to join to the attention of someone who is in a position to look into these matters based on their position in government. It is true that recruiting stations get very few GED slots. In fact, less than two percent of all enlistments will be GEDs/non HS grads. For this reason you will need to be well qualified on the ASVAB (50 AFQT or higher). Take the ASVAB if you can. Have another service test you if need be.
    Yo Guns -

I thought getting his offenses exponged was a good idea - but you would know better then I. LOL - I remember 6 out of 60 guys in my boot platoon were in the Corps because a judge gave them a choice of either jail or the Corps. Is an arrest for a traffic incident that big a deal today???

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn
    How does someone go about getting so many speeding tickets? I'm 24 and I've only had 2 speeding tickets in the 8 years I've been licensed to drive. Don't get me wrong, I speed, but I don't do it in front of police officers, over and over and over X 3 again.
    He lives in Grand Island, NE. I've been there. It not an island, neither is it grand! It's a one horse town.

My guess why? Sheer boredom!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Like I stated, less than two percent of all future Marines get in with a GED. It will be harder to get a non-grad slot than it will be to get a waiver for minor traffic violations.

Courts cannot give military service as a punishment or option to avoid punishment. Nor can any member of the military lobby a court on behalf of an applicant.

Times have changed!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sixguns
    Like I stated, less than two percent of all future Marines get in with a GED. It will be harder to get a non-grad slot than it will be to get a waiver for minor traffic violations.

Courts cannot give military service as a punishment or option to avoid punishment. Nor can any member of the military lobby a court on behalf of an applicant.

Times have changed!!! LOL
    Well that sucks on many levels! Homeschooled kids get shafted (and they a hell of a lot better educated then public schooled kids) - and what good is having friends in high places if they are of no influence? I mean, geez, that's the American way! And can you think of a better way to straight out the @ss of a juvenile then Marine Corps boot camp??? LOL

Well, I guess I'm a dinosaur. But then again, I am of the "Starship Trooper" line of thinking. No serve country? No citizenship and no vote!

Just call me Tea ... T-Rex if you're nasty ....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    LMAO T REX!!!!!!!

I remember meeting this Marine one time that got in that way too - straightened him out.................somewhat - wasn't around long enough to see what he had to do with that "JOKER" tattoo on his neck - I think his collar on his dress shirts covered it but boy did it stick out in them cammies.

Thread Information