Why is everybody here interested in the USMC?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Why is everybody here interested in the USMC?

So I've been looking at this forum for about a year and recently joined the forum. I've been looking into joining the Marine Corps for a couple of years, but I wanted some more time to really think about it and get some physical training in (I have to make sure I'm as physically and mentally ready before I sign those papers and eventually ship.) Anyway, why is everybody here (well, the Poolees and my fellow wannabes) looking into the Marine Corps? What are some of the MOS's you guys/gals thinking about getting? What do you want to do after your tenure with the USMC?

Personally I'm looking into combat arms (possibly infantry) as an MOS and I'm interested in becoming a police officer eventually. Anyway, please post what sparked your interest and what careers you're interested in.

Also, how's everybody's PT coming along? Anybody doing ruck marches at all?

sorry for being so annoying,

Erthwerm

If you have to ask you wouldn't understand. I could explain till I'm blue in the face and it probably wouldn't make a lick of sense to ya.

His Angel,

Thanks for the information. I guess a better way to ask my question is: what sparked your curiosity or interest in the Marine Corps? When did you first think about joining and what was your first inspiration?

I hope this is a more intelligent way of asking,

Erthwerm

My dad was a Marine, grew up around the Semper FI! gung ho attitude, and I want the same to be part of the brotherhood. To me its not joining something, and and be part of something good for 4 years, its joining something and being part of a family for the rest of my life.

My mos is comabt support, Tanks, Tracs, and Artillery

You can say I joined during my teenage years without the slightest clue of what I was doing. It was a whole bunch of reasons from girl problems, depression, school etc.. to becoming a man. I was just a confused teen and really didn't have a clue about anything in life. Like some, I joined for all the wrong reasons. I wasn't mentally prepared nor did I expect myself to be medically unhealthy.

But I'll tell you this much. If you want to join the Marines, you have to have the will to want to be a Marine. The Marines are strictly the best of the best, strictly the few the proud. After you sign those papers there is no turning back. The person you become afterwards will have to be a huge transformation, for the better.

And remember in Boot Camp, you are there to PT. So don't be afraid or try to escape being pitted and yelled at by Drill Instructors. That is what you're going there for. To be a Marine. And this is how they make Marines. PT, Drill, honor, integrity. It's all in the package. Don't try to escape it like I did. Accept it, accept the corp, the value, the harsh and intense exercise and there will be no problems. I hope I have answered your question on my behalf. Take care and good luck.

Too say I was a part of something....

And to get some revenge.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was looking for a few good men myself - NO, JUST JOKING! I almost went AF til some Marine Recruiter grabbed me coming out of the AF office - he told me that I didn't want to talk to the AF recruiter, I wanted to talk to him - he convinced me. And it helped to know that, not only was Marine Corps bootcamp the hardest one of the branches to make it through, if I wanted to go AF later I wouldn't have to go through their bootcamp.

Thank God I stayed a Marine cause I know a lot of prior AF guys and they don't "keep in touch" with it alllllllll!! Plus, I'm a woman too - you don't know how it affects our egos knowing that we've gone through something a lot of men in this world wouldn't even THINK of trying.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Laughing at Marine84!!!!

I had four years of AFJROTC in high school. The image and reputation of the Marines made it very appealing. I also thought that if I was going to be part of a military branch, it might as well be with the one viewed as best.

In fact, the Marine recruiter was the only one who didn't sugar-coat things or try to get me to "buy in" to being a Marine. He told it like it was. That it would be hard and that not everyone can be a Marine. I knew there were more rewards for taking the road less traveled!!!!

Stanley Hroszow
    Guest Free Member
    I joined the marines, because I did not want to go in any other branch of the service, I hated their uniforms, I would look at them and wanted to puke, I went to the movies when I was 17 or 18, and saw a Marine with his Lady Friend, he was Dressed in his Dress Blues with the Red Stripe and thought that was the coolest uniform, and wanted one. To get one meant to join, also a second cousin of my Mother, was a Gunnery Sargent and a Congressional Medal Of Honor Winner in WW11, that clinched for me, because I wanted to be just like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Hroszow
    I went to the movies when I was 17 or 18, and saw a Marine with his Lady Friend, he was Dressed in his Dress Blues with the Red Stripe and thought that was the coolest uniform, and wanted one.

What exactly was this movie? I'm just trying to find all the Marines Corp. Movies available out there. Thanks.

I had tried to join the Navy, but they said "No, get a diploma" This high school dropout walked next door and the Marine recruiter couldn't get me signed up fast enough. Was it a mistake, NO WAY, it was the best thing I ever did in my life and I will never regret one minute of the 8 years, 3 months and 21 days I spent in the Corps...

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    I was looking for a few good men myself -

You know, I actually met a WM that used that line when we asked her why she had joined - I don't think that she was joking!

You know one thing that I have noticed recently - around where I live there are a lot of Marines - 1st CivDiv HQ must be around here somewhere! You can tell because they have USMC flags in their yards, bumper stickers, USMC front plates, etc. But you rearely ever see any of the other services announce their service. That's what interested me in the Marines - you are not a Marine for 4, 6, 8, whatever number of years - you're a Marine for life.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    For me, It's to be a part of the biggest, Toughest, Most Honorable Brotherhood Ever. The Marines hold themselves to a higher code of honor than most, and take care of their own. There is no better friend, and no worse enemy than a Marine. I just want to be a part of that.

To me, anything else would have meant settling for less. When I was younger I had that dream to become a SEAL hahaha...but for the longest time I knew I wanted to be a Marine. I never got that presentation thing from the recruiter...I just walked in and had them start the process. They know that I wanted to be Marine before I ever stepped foot in that office and therefore saved themselves the time it takes for the sales pitch...

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

seems to me this is a 2 parter so...

I enlisted cause (yes as pathetic as this sounds) I liked to camp, hunt and shoot... and they'd pay me to do all 3 and because my family is an army family and me and dad don't get along so I decided to be better than him by being the best...

and the uniform... that goes without saying....

and I enlisted as Infantry, cause that's the guys that get to camp, hike, shoot, ect the most

Didn't make it though, I washed out on a knee prob

Thread Information