Fake Marine admits deception
Create Post

Angry Fake Marine admits deception

Fake Marine admits deception
    Wednesday, June 21, 2006
    By DAVE HANEY OF THE JOURNAL STAR

PEORIA - Theodore C. Bantis' lies have caught up to him.

The Dunlap man who over the past five years claimed to be a highly decorated retired U.S. Marine Corps colonel appeared Tuesday in federal court, where he was charged for donning a uniform and medals he never earned.

Bantis, 59, pleaded guilty, telling U.S. Magistrate Judge John Gorman he "illegally purchased a uniform and medals and represented myself as a retired Marine." He said he was being treated for mental illness.

Since 2001, Bantis made visits to local Marine Corps functions, military funerals, fund-raisers and Memorial Day events under the guise of the retired colonel. He spoke about 9-11 victims to an audience at Illinois Central College in Peoria on Sept. 11, 2004, in full military regalia, and was the keynote speaker during a Marine Corps birthday ball at the Civic Center.

He led friends and family to believe he had worked in naval intelligence and that during his career was awarded the Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, Purple Heart and Vietnam Service medal.

Bantis claimed to be a recipient of the rare and coveted Navy Cross during what he listed as three full combat tours in Vietnam before retiring after
    30 years as a colonel.

As Assistant U.S. Attorney Darilynn Knauss put it Tuesday, he would've been a "Marine legend."

In truth, Bantis never served a day as a Marine or in any other branch of the military. The uniform and medals were all purchased using the Internet.

Bantis, who appeared in court wearing a pin-striped suit and accompanied by his wife, Donna, declined to comment following the hearing.

The misdemeanor charge, wearing military awards without authorization, carries a punishment of up to six months in jail, $5,000 in fines and up to one year of supervised release. A sentencing hearing was set for Sept. 15.

A biography he provided to the events he attended included the military honors and claims that he held command in special operations and intelligence groups. It also said he was an instructor at the College of Americas and Naval Intelligence Counter Terrorism School and had graduated from Pepperdine University in Los Angeles with a master's degree in education.

None are true.

Why Bantis started the charade isn't known.

Knauss said it did not appear Bantis profited from his lies.

FBI Special Agent Thomas Cottone Jr., who has investigated more than 100 cases of similar military fraud, says a greater number of the "stolen valor" incidents involve people who simply want attention.

"Some do it for money to help perpetrate a fraud . . . but for more the case is they do it for public recognition and respect - something they have never earned on their own," Cottone said.

Tom Maher, a local Marine who served in Vietnam around the same time as Bantis had claimed, was among the first to question Bantis' medals about three years ago during a Memorial Day event in Peoria because Bantis was wearing them incorrectly.

"I'm glad (Bantis) was exposed," Maher said Tuesday. "By doing what he did, he has embarrassed all veterans. Now people will question other veterans by wondering whether they really earned the medals they wear."

While others also had their suspicions, nothing was done until a picture of Bantis wearing his uniform and medals and a copy of his fictitious biography, made it to a Colorado man last month.

Doug Sterner, who is considered the foremost authority on military awards today and runs homeofheroes.com, a Web site that honors heroes, said Bantis was easy to peg as a fake and referred the case to the FBI.

Nice post Fontman. They ought to up the penalty to at least 5 years imprisonment to stop these wannabes.

I served from 79-82. Call me weird, but I have no idea of what medals I even qualify for - nor do I care. When I see those who puff themselves out like a stuffed peacock, it sends out red flags to me - as the Corps is about TEAM, not the individual. Am I wrong?

I served my country, I served the Corps, I am a former Marine. That is ALL I care about concerning my service. Ribbons be damned.

Credits
    Savings
    EEERRRRRRR...
    my feathers are ruffled.
    SIX MONTHS IS ALL HE CAN GET????

What a "piece de merde".

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hey, not everyone can be a Mairne.....

And if you can't, get on the Internet, buy yourself a uniform, some medals and a great biography!!! You'll be the hit at local VA events, parades, para military groups..... But most importantly...... IN YOUR OWN MIND!!!!

If he wore a police uniform, what would he get??? I hope he gets more than a slap on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixguns
    If he wore a police uniform, what would he get??? I hope he gets more than a slap on the wrist.
    There ya go Sixguns!

Thread Information