Combat Engineer
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combat Engineer

Combat Engineer

I'm currently enlisted as open and am choosing carefully what I choose as my MOS. I'd like to be a grunt, my recruiter has been advising me otherwise due to the fact that I scored a 91 on the ASVAB. Lately though I've been looking into becomming a Combat Engineer. My question with that MOS is if I do make it to becomming a Combat Engineer, would I get to choose whether or not I'm assigned to a group, wing or division??? Like I said I'd like to be a grunt but at the same time I love working with demo, and from what I hear, a Combat Engineer assigned to a division is basically a grunt with demo...which would be perfect. So yes, any advice anybody could offer would be great...

-Dominic Stam

No you don't really have a choice. When you get done with your Mos school you get to put in a wishlist. East coast, West coast, overseas and you don't always get what you pick either. Division is the best in my opinion. If I was you after Mos school I would put in for overseas duty. If you go to Okinawa there is Divison and Group over there so you got a least a 50/50 shot. I don't think they have any Combat Engineer Wingers over there. If you have any questions about this Mos just Pm me. Good Luck,Bige1371

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Combat engineers are needed everywhere. You will still deploy and have plenty of opportunnities to be around the infantry. There are no guarantees of assignment, but you can always ask!!

Hold on, let's not get into this too much before addressing the real issue. This is at least the next four years of your life. You need to make sure you pick what you want to do, not what someone else wants for you. If you want to be a grunt, tell the recruiter that you're not taking any other MOS. It isn't his decision, it is yours.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yeah, in a perfect world, recruits line up outside recruiter's doors and take a number to join... Joining the Marine Corps is not a fantasy game! The reality is that school seats may be full, candidates may not be qualified for MOSs or there are stronger needs elsewhere. Just think how many MPs the Marine Corps would have if everyone just named their job!!! It doesn't work that way and hopefully, it never will. All jobs/MOSs are needed in the Corps. We also have a structure and mission capabilities to maintain. First come, first served.

Thats the Job i want, ill be sure on October first to make him know, if you dont let the Recruiter he might try and send you on open, and i dont care what anyone says thats not what i wanna be.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Now that sounds silly. Why would you wait till October (5 months from now) to let a recruiter know what job guarantee you want. Don't you think the sooner he knows, the sooner he can get the job guarantee for you? Waiting until ship date to get a program is like trying to buy the new Playstation 3 the first day it comes on the market.... Good luck with that!!!

Last edited by Sixguns; 06-14-06 at 12:58 PM.

Sixguns, you are right. I wasn't trying to say that every person should demand they get the job they want, whether they are qualified for it, or whether they was a need for it, or not. But, the poolee in question clearly qualified to serve as an infantryman.

The seats in "SOI" may be full, but they will come open again. I don't think it is silly at all to wait a few months to get the job you want. Putting of boot camp a few weeks to make the next four years of your life more enjoyable seems like the smart thing to do to me.

But, you are correct, waiting to tell the recruiter what you want doesn't make sense. The more time they have, the better they can do for you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I agree with you E4B. We should all have some amount of control in choosing our path in the Marine Corps. I was a guaranteed PFC and had a program option when I shipped. I didn't get the exact job I wanted, but I did get one in the Option Guarantee. In fact, I never really considered the MOS I got as one of the ones I truly wanted. In the end though, my MOS and the training turned out to be very rewarding and satisfying.

Even if this young poolee does get an infantry guarantee, there is still the chance that when he gets to training and after the subsequent tests there, he may be offered or asked to go with another MOS that he is qualified for. An example is Intel. If you score out well, the folks at RLS at MCRD might have a Marine sit down with you and explain the MOS you are best qualified for. Remember, you can always take a 91 AFQT and put them in an MOS that requires a 31 AFQT. You can't take a 31 AFQT and make them qualified for an MOS that requires an 80 AFQT.

This is what happened to me. One last thing, we all get trained as basic riflemen. Think about a career beyond the Corps. What other skills would come in handy later on?? My whole point is keep your eyes open and consider all the possibilities before you choose the option guarantee.

I agree with all of you, I'm planning on having my final answer to my recruiter by friday. I have a few mixed feelings about what I want to do...I like the overall job of a grunt but at the same time, like sixguns said, every Marine is a basic rifleman and I would like to excel to a higher level then just a basic rifleman. Intel was something that I was checking out but from what I hear it's more of a pogue job and I'd like to be in the field on periodically if not on a day to day basis. After the Marines what I want to do is go work for a 3 letter agency (CIA etc...) so Intel would be a definate positive.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Who do you think interprets data on the battlefield for commanders? Who gathers the intel for them? Who decodes messages? INTEL! And you can't do that from an air-conditioned office in the rear. If your goal is to get into one of the three-letter agencies, consider this: Intel will be a desired background for applicants, Intel gets you a top secret security clearance, and you combine that with your Marine Corps service and you are very desirable.

This is what I meant about seeing into the future beyond the Marine Corps. Look at big picture ideas and goals. How can you get there and use the Marine Corps best as a springboard to get there.

I guess that I'm still just a little vague on all of the duties and operations of intel. I'd like to see action and my only concern is that I wouldn't get any if I go in for intel. (sorry if I seem stupid, but I've got to try and play devils advocate a little bit so that I'm sure)

dont worry about action.... it either comes to you or it doesnt.... dont worry about going looking for it. focus on the job you want and past the marine corp incase of medical discharge to terminate an early career or just a 4 and out deal with the Marine Corps

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The average deployment time for Marines in a four-year enlistment is approaching two years. Some combat units and Marines see more. I think there will be plenty of time to be in the thick of it. Of course, the longer you stay the greater the chances of seeing combat.

Getting "to the action" is hard to predict. With the current situation, one would assume that most Marines will be deployed to a combat area. But, we never know how long that situation will stay in place. In peace time, things are pretty tricky. I know infantryman that went an entire enlistment without seeing any type of enemy contact and computer LAN administrators that got combat action ribbons. It just depends on where you are, and when you're there.

Thread Information