M-16a2
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: M-16a2

Question M-16a2

I been wondering about this for awhile so I thought I'd ask. How much kick does an M-16A2 have? The rifle that I normally fire is a 7.62x54 WWII Russian carbine that has a fair amount of kick in my opinion. Is the M-16 much less?

You don't even feel an M-16A2 kick.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    You should go rent one at a local range. Compared to shooting an AK/47 I think the recoil is ALOT less!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman07
    I been wondering about this for awhile so I thought I'd ask. How much kick does an M-16A2 have? The rifle that I normally fire is a 7.62x54 WWII Russian carbine that has a fair amount of kick in my opinion. Is the M-16 much less?
    The difference is miles apart. If you fire a 7.62 Carbine of WWII Era, I guarantee you firing an M16 is going to feel like absolutely nothing. It kicks similar to what a .22 would...meaning it's still there, but it's not going to be balls out.

Stanley Hroszow
    Guest Free Member
    little bang bangs

Credits
    Savings
    How often do Marines have to qualify once out of Boot Camp, if ever?

the M16a2 is gas operated so there isnt much kick, that means that the expanding gases from the bullet open the bolt before the bullet has exited the barrel, giving the gun VERY little kick.

You'll qualify once every fiscal year.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker-0321
    the M16a2 is gas operated so there isnt much kick, that means that the expanding gases from the bullet open the bolt before the bullet has exited the barrel, giving the gun VERY little kick.
    That's nice and well, but...explain why an AK/47 has the recoil it does when it's also gas operated. The M16 fires a small bullet, of course the recoil would be low.

You'll qualify once every fiscal year.
    What happens if you fail?

when i get my grubby hands on an AK47 i'll let you know. from what i do know, they are a tough weapon, you can bury them in the mud and they'll fire the same, they're cheap because there are like...1854578439205737857438905 of them out there. so eventually..

oh the M-16 fires a .223 Remington but i have also seen them in 9mm (why? i dont know)

Credits
    Savings
    Just a simple conversion. I think the AR's look pretty silly with that little skinny 9mm mag. sticking out of it. Ugghhh....small bullets....

There's a company called DPMS that make diff. variants of the AR-15. They have a model chambered in 6.88mm. I tried to get my hands on one but my local dealer said they're extremely hard to come by. But it seems like it's the perfect balance between 5.56mm and 7.62.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn
    That's nice and well, but...explain why an AK/47 has the recoil it does when it's also gas operated. The M16 fires a small bullet, of course the recoil would be low.

Two things. One, as you mentioned, the 5.56 round is about half the size of a 7.62 (just for comparison - grain wise).

Second, the M16 is a much more tempermental weapon with more complicated parts. That could very well be a reason for the large kick of the AK-47. It's an extremely simple receiver so there isn't much energy transfer. That 7.62 round is coming straight out of the buttstock, which is a piece of wood, not polymer. More rigid, larger round, and considerably less graceful could all equal more kick.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBrave83
    Two things. One, as you mentioned, the 5.56 round is about half the size of a 7.62 (just for comparison - grain wise).

Second, the M16 is a much more tempermental weapon with more complicated parts. That could very well be a reason for the large kick of the AK-47. It's an extremely simple receiver so there isn't much energy transfer. That 7.62 round is coming straight out of the buttstock, which is a piece of wood, not polymer. More rigid, larger round, and considerably less graceful could all equal more kick.
    5.45mm AK/74 also has little felt recoil.

How meany of you people have fired a "7'62x54 Russian carbine WWII". This is not a 7.62x36 AK47. It is a much longer case,heaver bullit and holds more powder. They are a great rifle and in good shape make a good sniper rifle.

Yeah, truthfully I don't even know why the Comparison against an AK-47 came up. More than likely because the words "Russian" and "M16a2" were said in a conversation, and since those are the big boys and the often compared, it was natural.

But yeah a Mosin-Nagant (if that's what he's using) is considerably different.

Thread Information