Open Contract
Create Post

Thread: Open Contract

Open Contract

Hi everyone! I'm new to Leatherneck.com and I have a question. I went to MEPS and signed an open contract. My recruiter told me that this would buy me some time to research jobs, come back to his office and find one that would suit me best. (I've bounced from recruiter to recruiter and none have given me a detailed description of the MOS's) However, I've been talking to some Marine friends of mine and they're telling me that I won't have a choice. I DID go in with the understanding that the Corps would choose my job based on its needs. If this is the case, then why would my recruiter tell me otherwise? I wouldn't have signed an open contract then.

You have to sign on Open contract when to go to MEPS, you wont get your MOS until after bootcamp. I know they talk about MOS jobs alot, what they really mean is that your going to be given a job "Field" an area, the Marine Corps chooses your job withing that criteria. No your not going to get Open contract, unless you choose it to be. Dont sweat over it.

Credits
    Savings
    Open contract means that upon compleation of boot, you will be placed in a field, job, depending on the Corps needs at that time. I went open contract
    and unlike some of the other recruits who already new there MOS I did not find out what mine was untile 2 or 3 day before graduation.

I told him (my recruiter) i wanted Infantry(rifleman) but there were no slots available until Sept. So he had me sign an open contract and supposedly "figure" out a job at his office before going into boot. It's a bit confusing. I feel deceived in some way. < (not an accusation)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sometimes, getting a ship date is the hardest part of joining the Corps. MOSs or jobs can only be assigned or given if one exists for the ship week you are placed in. This is due to the MOS school start dates and what schools have open seats based on your graduation date from recruit training. Some MOS schools may be already filled. On an open contract, the Marine Corps will place you based on ASVAB scores, but more importantly, the needs of the Corps. You have until ship day to have a guaranteed option placed in your paperwork. You can only choose options your are qualified for and that have remaining school seats available. Your recruiter, NCOIC or MEPS liaison can all answer these questions for you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Open contract ain't such a bad deal - I ended up in Ordnance and loved every minute of it.

Thank you for the information; It was very helpful. And my apologies, I found a thread that discussed this matter. It won't happen again.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just glad you got the info. No need for apology.

As Sixguns said, right now you're open contract, but that can change based on ASVAB scores and school openings. For example, if a prospective grunt gets injured or drops out of the DEP, that's a slot for you. If you ship out Open Contract however, well the Corps will put you wherever they need you.

P.S. - Glad to see you back, SSgt. It's been a while.

Thread Information