Didn't get to Nam
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Free Member Jim Reynolds's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Didn't get to Nam

You old grunts might not believe this, but its true. Back in '65 I was a gung-ho kid a year out of high school looking for some adventure, and holding a draft notice in my hand. I went to see the Marine Recruiter and he told me not to worry, he would take
    care of everything, sign here kid!
    January '66, Parris Island. I never knew it got that cold in South Carolina. Camp Geiger for ITR. The most miserable place I was ever at. Supply school at Montford Point. 2nd most miserable.
    Orders to Kaneohe Bay MCAS. Number frigging 1!!
    I knew there was a war going on because all by buds were going.Went to see the 1st Sgt. and he said "Don't worry kid, it won't be over before you get there".
    2 years later, I get orders for Philadelphia, PA. By this time I've only got 4 months left on my enlistment. No Nam for me.
    For the last 33 years I've carried a lot of guilt around, Why not me?
    Well guys, I wasn't a grunt and I didn't get to Nam, but I served my country and was a good Marine. Does anybody else out there
    have a similar story?

Lots of Marines carry that guilt...

You were one of the fortunate ones.

Some got to Nam, and sat on a hill watching the fireworks on the rice paddie fields and in the distance below them and never got a chance to pop off a cap.

Don't know which would be worst, to have gone there and not been able to fire back, like we were all trained to do, or not to have gone at all.

Funny, the pilots that gave me the 38 cal pistol, at Chu lai said they envied me, because at least i got to see the enemy, and fire back at them, they felt bad because they "just" dropped their load and never saw the enemy below like we did, up front and personal.
    Yet, I remember seeing the enemy's tracer going up at them as they came in and pulled out. Don't know if I would ahve wanted to do their job.

we all did what we were trained to do. But if you continue to feel bad, you'll have to buy me a Bud if we ever meet.

Sempers

Cook

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    Jim,

Shvtcan the guilt. Not everyone gets selected for the choice duty stations, (i.e. Vietnam), somebody has to get the short end of the stick, (i.e. barracks duty).

Guilt is for those who tried to avoid, and forced someone else to take their place.

Guilt is NOT for those who did the job they were called upon to do.

Only the bride knows for sure who the best man REALLY is.

Mike Farrell
    Cagayan de Oro
    Philippines

Didn't have much goin' on when I was in. I wonder about things sometimes, but the only real question I ask myself? "Could I have done a better job at what I did?" Yep. I figure I could have....looking back. But I did do the best I knew how at the time.

Had buddies go to places like Beiruit and Tehran and such. One my 'number' never came up. The other was a much smaller operation. They came around looking for volunteers. I thought I'd end up watching someone clean the hangar deck or some ****, so I didn't say a word. Guy from our shop went. He wasn't the best we had. I sometimes wonder about that, too. But that's the way things worked out.

Ya can't change the past. You can only address the future. If ya doin' the best ya know how, that's all ya can do.

Like I tell the kids around here. The Corps puts ya where they need ya. Not always where ya want to go.

No need to feel guilt. You do your job and thats all anybody can ask of you. If you feel bad about it, all I can say is you would feel much worse in the Nam. I think Sparrowhawk, firstsgtmike and wrbones said it right.

I also drink Bud

Jim

It ain't no thang bro.....No reason at all for you to feel guilty about not servin in the Nam. You were a Marine. You followed your orders and served where the Corps told you too. Your as much a Marine as anybody. Drop the guilt. There's a Marine by the name of Lee Coddins that heads up a Rolling Thunder chapter in New Jersey I think. He hangs with Nam Vets. He wears alot of Nam Patches and he honors his fallen bros every year twice a year at the Wall. Every Marine I know that knows him thinks he's a damn standup Marine. He ain't never claimed to be a Nam Vet so he ain't no Wannabe. He served his Country by doing what he was told to do. Have some fun bro. You ain't got nuttin to feel guilty about ....

Smile

No reason to feel guilt, when one did what one was ordered to do.
    The 2nd Marine Divison and elements of the 1st Marine Brigade had to cover for the 1st and 3rd Marine Divisions that were serving in Vietnam.
    So many didn't see Vietnam, but they did what was ordered by the Marine Corps
    So there's no need to feel quilt.
    I drink diet rite!

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

Hey Marine, there is no reason to feel guilty. You were chosen to stay here and protect out loved ones if needed. I have just as much respect for you as I do any one that served in the "Nam". Keep your chin up and be proud, Marines have nothing to feel guilty about.

Semper Fi

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    Jim.

Read these, and take it home.

Semper Fi

Registered User Free Member mardet65's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Jim:
    Let the guilt go! I know exactly how you feel. For many years I felt guilty about being assigned to a carrier off the coast of Vietnam at a time when my brothers were in-country bleeding and dying. I felt like a charlatan wearing the same ribbons and medals they earned through deprevation of the refinements of life that we aboard the carriers took for granted. When anyone asked "were you in Vietnam", I always went into a long explination of what I actually did so I'd not be accused of stealing the glory of fellow Marines. However, as time progressed I came to realize it was just fate that intervened. I enlisted as an 0300 and could just as easily ended up in-country, if my DI hadn't picked me for Sea duty simply because I was six-foot two and fit the IQ requirement. Hell, I wanted to be JOHN WAYNE in the Sands of Iwo Jima. But it was not to be and today I tell my sea-stories and display my ribbons and medals like anyother vet. I'm as proud of my contributions to the war effort as any ground pounding Mud Marine, and most of the vets I know agree with me. So drop the guilt and Semper-Fi.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

"Don't mean nothing"

Registered User Free Member vance's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Jim ,

All good advice !

You did your duty , no need to carry a load around .

Semper Fi & Merry Christmas

Cool You Are A Marine.........

Hi Jim,

You went when your country called. You became a Marine. You followed your orders and did what was asked of you........Not all of us Marines got to serve in Nam...........I was in Oki and volunteered to go.............We all did what was asked..........So no need to feel guilty..........

I was stationed in K-Bay also, 1963 to 1965, best duty I ever had.........LOL.........After I left Nam in 69 was stationed at MCSA, Philly, always nice to be stationed at home.........LOL

You have every right to be Proud, you are a Marine and still are.......According to the CMC, we are all now called Veteran Marines..........

Welcome Home and to the best Marine site on the net...........

Sempers,

Roger,

PS: Philly is still a great city and still my home.........

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Jim, No need to feel guilty. Your country called, you answered just like the rest of us. Walk with your head high and sleep well my faithful brother. Oh yeah, I'll take a Dr Pepper. Semper Fi MARINE !!!
    Dave

Jim you should be proud you servied duing a time when it was not cool to be in the miltary. the war wasn't popular .Those who were in the service got spit on in public places and called demeining names. They often lost friends because of there service. Remember Jim when those Marines returned home and reported to there new duty station you were the one who replaced worn and unservicable uniforms.

Thread Information