Scared About My UW Job
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Scared About My UW Job

Well, not scared to do it, scared I might not make it. I have a pft of 275, and a general knowledge of the Marine Corps (With some studying it will be better). I ship off on July 17th. Now the part I'm afraid about. I was talking to my recruiter about all the stuff I have to initial to accept the job and he said if I initial more then 2, it would disqualify me. Now, I looked over some questions and I saw on their about my mental history. Now I'm not crazy but I had ADHD as a child and my parents had me on riddilin and prozac even though I'm not a very depressed person... But who knows why? I got off a year ago and I functioned fine, but when it came down to hardcore studying I wasn't the greatest, but I could still do it. I got back on some ADD medicine a couple days ago to see if it would help, before I finally made my decision to be a Marine. He told me that if I can function without it fine, then not to bother with it. So I initialed it. He told me to forget about it and it will be okay, that they won't go through all of my medical files and such. Now that I'm reading how hard it is, and how extensive the background check is I'm a little scared. Can someone inform me more on how to "avoid" this dilemma? Even if they found out would I be disqualified? Also, I had two run in with the police when i was a juvenile, and they said my record would be erased by the time I was 18. When we went to juvenile center place to get the paperwork it said I ahd nothing on file... So... that means it was okay to say I had no run ins with the police right?

Look...the best thing you can do is be completely honest about everything!! Even if your recruiter says not to worry about it, you need to put it in your record somewhere. You can lie and get through MEPs and make it to the Depot. But when you try to get your clearance you'll get caught in your lies. Also kind of a bad way to start out your career.

I doubt they would find the information about your medical past, but they might. You never can tell. As for your record, it goes away when you're 18, yet the military tends to find it anyway.

Honesty is always the best policy, and integrity is one of the Corps Values. Lying may work, it may not... but I know it isn't how you want to start a career in the Marine Corps.

I have a similar question. I was wondering if asthma is something i can get a waiver for considering that it was mild as a child and at my last sports physical for football the doctor told me to check the "No" box next to it. It has not effect on me what so ever now and I am able to run long distances and do intense exercise with little trouble.

Wolfman, search the forums. We have had this discussion countless times, several in the last week or two.

In short, if you're not bothered by your asthma, the Marine Corps probably won't be either, but be honest about it to save yourself potential trouble later.

The Hightower, and MEPS are supposed to scare you with background checks. Its guidelines maybe? Really just stop taking it before you go to Bootcamp .. and after if you make it, get back on it. If your ADD, ADHD arent on your med files, dont say anything about it no matter how many time they ask you. If it is on your MED histroy (it shouldnt be) then yea, but ofcoarse alot of kids take this medicine. In any case dont be alarmed by it. There probably not going to check it anyway.

As for the Juvinile thing, I would tell your recruiter, You should signed a piece of paper letting the recruiter able to check your police history. Let him check it, dont lie to a recruiter.

I just love when freaking Poolees hand out advice like they have been through something and know what the hell they are talking about!!! Real smart Tallboot....thats some great freaking integrity you have there!!! A kid comes on here wanting help in joining the Corps and you are going to advise him to be dishonest!!! Who are you to give that advice?? Have you been to MEPS?? Have you been to Boot?? You obviously don't know the Marine Corps policy on drug abuse. If you did you would know it is against the UCMJ to take any drugs that are not prescribed to you by a doctor. And you tell a potential recruit to cover it up until he gets through boot!! How about from now on you keep your mouth shut unless you actually know for 100% sure that you have the right answer!!

I'm sorry that this answer may seem harsh, but it ****es me off when someone comes on here with a legit question and more than one MARINE responds telling him to be honest and then a freaking poolee comes on here and tells him to lie.

Integrity Poolees!!!!! PFT scores and Marksmanship and Motivation don't mean jack sh!t out here if you have no Integrity!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just be honest with everybody about it - you may have to take an extra step or 2 (like having to get a waiver of some sort) but it's worth it. And besides, your meds (should you need them in the future) will have to come from Uncle Sam once you're in. If the Corps finds out about something that you didn't tell them - doesn't really matter what it is - that's an automatic kick in the rear out the front door. No bus ride home, no final paycheck, no set of dress blues, no Title.

I didnt mean for it to come out that way, But what if you couldnt become a Marine Because of that? ... Yes ive been to MEPS, Im currently Enlisted and waiting on my Shipdate. Your not going to get kicked out because you were on Rediline when you were a little kid. So was I .. and it wasnt on my MED history.

I Apologize, I should state it another way ... They dont need to know every pill thats been in your body since you were a little kid. It wont be on your MED history unless its been somthing Mediocre or big.

Im fine im already enlisted everything is good go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboot
    Really just stop taking it before you go to Bootcamp .. and after if you make it, get back on it.
    That's totally incorrect, in order for ADD or ADHD to be waived, you must have been taken off drugs by your doctor and exhibited no symptoms of it whatsoever for one year, you cannot just wake up one day and decide to stop taking the drugs, a doctor must officially take you off them.

In some cases, it is dangerous to spontaneously stop taking prescribed medication, you must be slowly waned off it over a period of weeks to prevent complications.

There are legitimate methods of joining even with these medical conditions, so it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to lie. You have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Asthma

Previously, any history of asthma was disqualifying, regardless of age. While medical waivers were sometimes possible, waiver approval usually required scheduling and passing a pulmonary function test. Under the new policy, Asthma is only disqualifying if it occurs after the applicant’s 13th birthday.

Medical record screening may still be required, depending on the applicant’s medical history. However, in many cases, a signed statement, attached to the medical pre-screening form, stating that the applicant did not have any type of asthma (including exercise induced, or allergic asthma) or treatment for asthma after their 13th birthday will be sufficient.

Applicants who’ve experienced asthma or reactive airway disease after age 13 will require all medical documentation. Waivers may still be considered, depending on the applicant’s medical history and – possibly results from a pulmonary function test.

ADD/ADHD

Under the old standards, any history of ADD or ADHD was disqualifying. While waivers were sometimes possible, they were among the hardest categories of waivers to get approved. Under the new standards, ADD/ADHD is disqualifying only if the applicant has been treated with ADD/ADHD medication within the previous year and/or they display signs of ADD/ADHD. For applicants with a previous history of ADD/ADHD who have been off medication for more than one year, and they do no demonstrate significant impulsivity or inattention during MEPS processing, the MEPS examining official may find them qualified for military service without submission of a waiver.

Records review is still required. Any history of being evaluated or treated for ADD/ADHD must be documented. As a minimum, all treatment (if any) within the previous three years must be submitted to MEPS, in advance, as part of the medical pre-screening. Full medical records are required if the applicant was ever treated for ADD or ADHD with any medication other than Ritalin, Adderal, or Dexedrine, or if there were any additional psychiatric symptoms, such as, but not limited to, depression.

MEPS may require school transcripts to demonstrate acceptable academic performance for the year without medication. If treatment for ADD/ADHD occurred throughout the school environment, but wasn’t stopped until after the applicant left school, there is still the possibility of waiver consideration.
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...y/a/asthma.htm

Accord, No one said anything about lieing ... If you havent taken Ridillin since you were a little kid, because your momma thought you were too hyper. There is no need what so ever to include it. It will not be on your MED history. Like i said before if it is on your MED history and was prescribed by doctor BY ALL MEANS you have to let them know.

Now .. the part where i said stop taking it before bootcamp, then take it after .. was wrong. I aplogize.

Tallboot, by not telling them everything, you are lying. But, you said something earlier, and nobody has called you on it yet.

You told him to get back on the medication after boot camp and everything would be fine. Please explain how this would work when it came time for a routine drug screening. Why do you believe the Marine Corps wouldn't have a problem with a Marine taking medication behind their back. Why would he need to go to a civillian doctor to get the medication if there wasn't a lie involved. You are correct, you were wrong for saying that. But, that isn't the point. Why did you feel the need to say anything, when you really don't understand what you're talking about?

Im talking about MEPS, Most recruiters will tell you not to tell them every nit picky thing. Like i said i was wrong about taking any kind of drugs after Boot. If i didnt understand it, i wouldnt have gotten through MEPS, or had a 2 speech from First Sergeant Legune on what to tell them and what not to tell them.

Tallboot you should just quit typing anything on this thread, I've heard of many people who made it all the way to bootcamp, and even to the fleet, and then got booted out for fraudulent enlistment for things that came up later. You're already headed down the wrong track. I'm interested in how you could have been on Ritalin, and not have it on any of your med records, b/c everytime you go to a doctor it goes in your med record, and that's a prescription medicine, unless your mom bought it for you on a street corner somewhere. Tell your recruiter everything, and if he tells you to lie, tell him you won't and then tell the guys at MEPS everything. By the way, you're not guaranteed UW either. Out of all the guys I went through Security Forces school with that had "guaranteed" UW contracts, only 2 are actually at 8th & I right now, and one's a bodybearer. Most ended up in regular Security Forces, some never even made it to Security Forces school and were dq'd during the bootcamp screenings. You will be given a lie detector test if you make it that far for UW too, you get caught lying about anything there, you're done.

Thread Information