Crew Chief - MOS? - Page 8
Create Post
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If you go for the C/C MOS, do you get to choose your aircraft or is it random whether you get CH-53E, V-22, CH-46, UH-1N, etc. If I had the choice I'd do the UH-1N, then CH-53E, then V-22, then CH-46.

technically your MOS is chosen for you at Pensacola. When I went through, some Gunnery Sergeant I never met before told my classmates where they were going and gave me the choice. The reason why is either because I voluntarily chose to be class cadence caller or was deemed class honorman, probably both.

And Dolamyte, I could preach the CH-46 to you all day, but in the end I wouldn't be answering your question Honestly, though, the MV-22 isn't a bad choice. People can make all the wise cracks they want, but I think the Osprey program can and will be successful. If it's what interests you, then by all means, go for it. As for flying family around during a training exercise, I don't know. While they aren't doing anything besides sitting there, it's technically extra weight on the aircraft and another thing the crew chief has to be accountable for. I realize the Army airwingers might let you, but we both know the Corps does things differently. I suppose it's at the command's discretion.

First I want to thank all of you for all of the information on the CC job. I have a small problem though, and I feel the contributors to this thread may be able to help a bit. After telling my recruiter that I was interested in a Mechanic position for Rotary-Wing Vehicles, SSgt Simms (also in my RSS) told me about the Crew Chief job. Needless to say I became extremely interested and wanted to try for it. At MEPs I passed physicals just fine with acceptable vision (Correctable by Surgery), Nailed a 95 on the ASVAB and got a 137 GT Score (115 is the minimum I believe?) I signed my contract in July and went on my merry way, my recruiter assured me I would have the job and it was on my contract. Well, I recently got him to photocopy my contract for me just so I have it, I didn't think about it when I got back from MEPs. Well, I heard a friend of mine who is now in the Corps that he went in with "AG" and failed on the CWS-2 portion in boot and just went Rotary Wing Mechanic. Well, I just pulled out my contract and in the additional details of the agreement it states "AB" in bold letters, and that is all. Numerous google searches have turned up nothing for the "AB" program code. Can anyone tell me what it is? Possible Typo? B and G are right next to each other on the keyboard. I plan on confronting my recruiter about it tomorrow at weekly PT and be firm that I won't swear in in December unless I have an AG contract. Is this the correct stance to take? I'm fairly certain I'm up to the challenges the CC job presents and I'm motivated as hell to get on a UH-1 (preferably).

Dude first off do you know how many UH-1's are even still flying, can you say AN TEEQ, You will be working with CH-53's and Ch-46's and maybe maybe in your for years You will even see a Huey. That a Nam bird man question that **** ASAP, and I ain't trying to mess up your Moto, but there ain't no rotor better than the 53

Quote Originally Posted by Tripwire42 View Post
    First I want to thank all of you for all of the information on the CC job. I have a small problem though, and I feel the contributors to this thread may be able to help a bit. After telling my recruiter that I was interested in a Mechanic position for Rotary-Wing Vehicles, SSgt Simms (also in my RSS) told me about the Crew Chief job. Needless to say I became extremely interested and wanted to try for it. At MEPs I passed physicals just fine with acceptable vision (Correctable by Surgery), Nailed a 95 on the ASVAB and got a 137 GT Score (115 is the minimum I believe?) I signed my contract in July and went on my merry way, my recruiter assured me I would have the job and it was on my contract. Well, I recently got him to photocopy my contract for me just so I have it, I didn't think about it when I got back from MEPs. Well, I heard a friend of mine who is now in the Corps that he went in with "AG" and failed on the CWS-2 portion in boot and just went Rotary Wing Mechanic. Well, I just pulled out my contract and in the additional details of the agreement it states "AB" in bold letters, and that is all. Numerous google searches have turned up nothing for the "AB" program code. Can anyone tell me what it is? Possible Typo? B and G are right next to each other on the keyboard. I plan on confronting my recruiter about it tomorrow at weekly PT and be firm that I won't swear in in December unless I have an AG contract. Is this the correct stance to take? I'm fairly certain I'm up to the challenges the CC job presents and I'm motivated as hell to get on a UH-1 (preferably).
    If you haven't sworn in, and/or signed your contract then it's still on the table for modification. Do you have a ship date for boot? Don't sign it until you are satisfied, and then double check it ten more times just to make sure. Like dozens have said before, it's your life, your career, and this is voluntary, it's one of the few times in the Marines where you can call the shots according to your agenda. Until then don't worry about what airframe you'll get. Whatever you land it's all on what you put into it. By trade I'm an Avionics guru, AVA-I specifically, and though I wanted to work on Prowlers I got MATCU and work in ATC now, I dont' have any real time working on a particualr airframe even. The job has offered me so many great opportunities and experiences,and I took advantage of them. I'm moving on from it into the Air Crew community and hope for the same all over again! If you want Air Crew then make sure it's what you're getting. Don't accept typos, becuase it wont hold water when you argue that you ended up sitting behind a cash register at GSA, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewebe View Post
    Dude first off do you know how many UH-1's are even still flying, can you say AN TEEQ, You will be working with CH-53's and Ch-46's and maybe maybe in your for years You will even see a Huey. That a Nam bird man question that **** ASAP, and I ain't trying to mess up your Moto, but there ain't no rotor better than the 53
    Phrogs are Nam ear too, but they are being phased out way faster then Hueys. Heck they have Yankee and Zulu models coming out so it'll be around for a while to come. But those models came out to be able to support the 22's, which is what you'll most likely get, and what I'm staying in for.

Yeah but for a kid that wants on Hueys going into 09, I mean yeah both 46's and 53's are old but Hueys

Osprey's ? And Dolomyte I got some AD questions for ya as well, if you don't mind

Yea Osprey's, best gig for a Lat Morver if you ask me, at least for what I want to accomplish. I wont goto 53's, Phrogs are out since they are standing down the squadrons, and Huey's are too close to 100% of TO. What questions do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewebe View Post
    Osprey's ? And Dolomyte I got some AD questions for ya as well, if you don't mind

@Tripwire42
    It's been said already, but you need to demand from your recruiter the AG contract, even if it delays the day you go to boot camp, and do not accept anything else. This AB thing is a load of [insert expletive], and he's pulling a fast one on you. Again, AG is the contract you want. Good on you for requesting a copy.

@Mikewebe, in relation to the H-53 comment
    Let's not be subjective. Everybody has a favorite bird, but we should keep our opinions to ourselves on this thread. Essentially, poolees and lat-moving Marines need facts before going to boot camp or changing their career path; with all due respect, if someone wants an opinion, they'd ask.

I did sign a contract, I was sworn in by an army captain on 20080625 and i ship on 20081208. My recruiter has always been straight up with me, and he's the very reason I chose Marines over Air Force. the USAF recruiter was basically trying to get me to go to MEPs without discussing a job first, even with a high practice ASVAB score. Sgt Fields (my recruiter) let me look over a ton of options and worked with me a lot. From what I heard, somewhat special arrangement were made for me to take that job, because they weren't supposed to have one at our RSS. Now, whether they actually made arrangements and that was a simple typo, or if he did in fact pull a fast one remains to be seen. PT was moved from monday to today because of Memorial Day, so I'm showing up early to talk to him.

I'm a fan of smaller birds, and the Huey has always been a favorite of mine. The new Yankee Huey looks dynamite as well, but from what I've researched it only has 2 crew members (Pilot, Co-Pilot)? How can this be correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripwire42 View Post
    I did sign a contract, I was sworn in by an army captain on 20080625 and i ship on 20081208. My recruiter has always been straight up with me, and he's the very reason I chose Marines over Air Force. the USAF recruiter was basically trying to get me to go to MEPs without discussing a job first, even with a high practice ASVAB score. Sgt Fields (my recruiter) let me look over a ton of options and worked with me a lot. From what I heard, somewhat special arrangement were made for me to take that job, because they weren't supposed to have one at our RSS. Now, whether they actually made arrangements and that was a simple typo, or if he did in fact pull a fast one remains to be seen. PT was moved from monday to today because of Memorial Day, so I'm showing up early to talk to him.

I'm a fan of smaller birds, and the Huey has always been a favorite of mine. The new Yankee Huey looks dynamite as well, but from what I've researched it only has 2 crew members (Pilot, Co-Pilot)? How can this be correct?
    That's because it isn't. We've seen those models out here several times, I have pictures if you want, and they always have a crew chief. Especially considering the gun they had hanging out the side! Don't expect to get something like that. Those seats are usually for the guys who several hundred hours. One I talked to, a GySgt was already well into four digits for hours. If you do get Huey's and you want to do something like that or be part of a development then kick a ton of tail your first enlistment, and pester everyone with some authority to get you there. There is never a garuntee, but it certainly helps if you're the top dog.

My apologies if I came off too blunt about the contract situation. I have spoken to several poolees off the forums who have been screwed over, and I wanted to get my message across clearly that you can not accept mistakes on this kind of paperwork.

Now, you may have signed for the AG or AB contract, but you still haven't signed THE contract, which you do at MEPS right before boot camp. Once you sign that final paper and have been discharged from DEP, you may as well be a recruit since you'll go from MEPS to the airport to the recruit depot.

The crew chief duty doesn't get the public recognition it deserves, which is why this thread exists -- to get that information out there to those who need it. And just so you know, every Marine helicopter requires a pilot, copilot and crew chief at the minimum.

Alright, false alarm. Talked to Sgt Fields, and after MEPS they had to re-send my paperwork to get the AG designation on my second contract. AB is "Aircraft Basic" or something like that, basically anything to do with rotary or fixed wing. Hell, I could've been a fuel tank painter with that designation. On the board in the office above SSgt Simms' desk, I have AG clearly written by my name. SSgt Simms writes those on the board after he pulls them off of his computer, which has the same info they see at MEPS when writing contracts. After confirming with Sgt Fields that I wouldn't sign my second contract unless AG was on it, he told me he wouldn't either. He's definitely got my back. Appreciate all of your help, fellas.

On the note of the UH-1Y, I mentioned it today and got the response that the site probably wasn't updated... Crew chief is always necessary, but don't expect a job on one. They probably can't confirm the required crew because it's not in service yet basically.

Read my above post on this, but to reiterate. Like I said and so has Onux, every Rotary Wing requires, and this is the minimum, One Pilot, One Co-Pilot and One Crew Chief. That is the the bare needed as designated by the NATOPS manual.

And as far as the Y/Z models, they are most certainly in service. They were conceived primarily for supporting the MV-22. No Rotary Wing can come even close to the cruise speed of the Osprey, and the Gunships are used as weapons support for the ill armed Osprey (soon to be corrected). The upgrades allow it to keep pace a bit better, along with some other little goodies. Again pictures can be provided of both on one of their many visits out here to 29. Worry about Boot Camp first, then being designated a Crew Chief before you start getting crazy about an Air Frame, and in no way and I discouraging you from dreaming just keep it in check and realistic. If you want to be assigned an Experimental or Test and Eval Model you have to bring something to the table for them to want to choose you. As a maybe soon to be fresh boot you offer very little for expirience or air frame knowledge. This can be applied to all MOS's and skill sets.

Onux, a quick question if you don't mind. How does NATTC and SERE divy up class seats during the holiday months. As it's looking my reenlistment should be kicking off in a few weeks, and I'm trying to plan for moving and spooling up the guys who have to replace me. Are there any seats that class up between October and November? And if not or at least for me, what is the possibility of getting out there with a Squadron fot OJT?

Thread Information