Need some help
Create Post

Thread: Need some help

Need some help

About a month ago I started talking to my parents about joining the MARINES. I told my mother that I thought it was something that I would be interested in but before I could say anything else she told me that she did not want me to join. Every time I try to talk to her about it she wont even listen she just says that I should go to college. I do not know how to get her to understand that it is something that I want to do.

I would appreciate any help thanks.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    How old are you?

If you are living under your mothers roof respect her wishes for now.

There was a post in the Poo lee forum a few weeks back asking the same question.

Explain to mother your reason for wanting to serve. She could be worried that you will go to war.

Have a recruiter talk to her. You will always be her "Child" and nothing can change that. But when you come of age it is ultimately your choice of what to do.

You have options go college and go in as an officer or enlist and still maybe find time depending on MOS and your job to go to college.

But again search the Poo lee forum for some heartfelt responses and maybe some solutions to your dilemma. Best of luck!

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

Short of duct taping her to a chair, all i can really say it keep trying to talk to her about it... my mom was kinda like that when i said something about it at the end of my sophomore year in HS... give her a little time to kinda process things and then try talking to her about it again... and at some point you have to say "This is something I am going to do... You can either encourage me or disown me..." And maybe it could also have something to do with your age and all that good stuff too... Try to get her to understand its not "just a phase"... Its you making a mature decision to make something of your life and make a difference in the world... And if she has any questions there are plenty of parent support sites online and she can also talk to Mama here on Leatherneck... Hope this helps you out a bit... Semper Fi!

well my friend joined with me, he just graduated boot, and is in MCt now at Pendleton, anyway, he wantd to join active, but his mom was really against it, so he decided to join the reserves, he looked at it this way he could get what he wated(become a Marine) and please his mom at the same time, by bein able to serve while at home!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    PooleeMichael makes a good point about giving it time. When my brother (in law ... I've known him since he was 12, he's my brother) told my husband and I he was looking at joining the military, I freaked a bit at first. This was about six months after 9-11. But, he was almost 19, was out of high school and drifting aimlessly through life. After I thought about it, I realized the military was probably a good option for him, would provide him direction, structure and discipline. Turns out it was the best thing he ever did. We're all awful proud of him.

It would help to know how old you are. I have some other thoughts, but knowing how close your 18th birthday is makes a bit of a difference. I really would hate to step on your mom's toes.

If you have a dream, a path you want to take, I'm sure you will be able to demonstrate to your mom that the military is not just about guns, war, and so on.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    hunt man09 I seriously suggest that you check your private messages (PM's) and by complying and updating your profile by 2100 thats 9PM PDT Wednesday April 26th or you will lose your privileges here. You have been warned!

Moms are like that. give it time. PT like its paying you by the hour and start reading anything on the Corps, i suggest the Guidebook for Marines. Prepare all you can so that when the time comes you are ready. And, do everything Phantom Blooper said as well.

My mom didnt want me to join...Now I dont have a mom..

Nooo just kidding. At first she didnt want me to join, in fact she told me "DO NOT JOIN THE MARINES!!",... so I did lol! I got my recruiter to talk to her and now she understands that its not the way hollywood makes it look. before I went to MEPS she was always angry whenever we talked about it, then I showed her my contract and she lightened up A LOT. I think she relized it's something I want to do, and now I think she's proud of me for my decsion. I know I'll always be her "baby" and how much she loves me and all that, and I can understand that she doesn't want me to go to war. Anywhoo, just keep talking to her. Do what YOU want to do, if this is truely where you want to be, then dont let hell or high water stop you. I honestly beleive the CORPS is the best thing to ever happen to me. Already I've cleaned up, I do my work at school, I PT like theres no tomorrow, I now have a reason to continue forward and that is knowing that come August 7th ill begin the most exciting adventure of my life. Good luck to you.

I am 16 years old thanks for everyone who replied.

at 16 you have a bit of time to help her come around :]

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt man09
    I am 16 years old thanks for everyone who replied.

That helps. You mentioned parents, plural, but now I'm wondering what your dad thinks?

How much research have you done into the Marine Corps? Have you investigated MOS (job) possibilities? Have you talked to a recruiter? Is there an Junior ROTC program at your school?

It's good that you've decided now, that you have two years to convince your mom that joining the Marines is not a bad idea at all. If your dad is neutral or even supportive, that may help, as he may be able to talk to her about it when she won't listen to you.

What I would do, were I you, is sit down and make a list of the reasons you wish to join. Collect some brochures and some Web sites that provide information about the Marine Corps and enlisted life - definitely include this place! - and then when your mom is ready (hopefully she's not too stubborn) you can show all to her. When she sees that this is a thoroughly, well-thought out decision on your part, that you've made an effort to educate yourself and your loved ones, she may not be so closed to the idea of listening to you.

My brother spent quite a bit of time researching each branch and talking to recruiters. Then he settled on which one he wanted to join, what MOS he wanted to enter, then he sat down with his parents and explained it all to them. It took him 18 months from that decision and conversation to his enlistment, and by then, we were all 100 percent behind him. I know he's earned college credit while serving and I know it's possible to earn a four-year degree while serving in the military, if you truly wish to do so.

College will be there, it will always be an option. You can't just join the Marine Corps any time. If you're not in a rush to go to college, you should trust that. I've seen people rush off to college at 18 because they think that's what they're supposed to do, end up miserable, and enlist two or three years later and wishing they'd done it sooner. Or they drop out entirely and are just a waste of oxygen and space.

Meh. I'm rambling.

Good luck. You've got time. If being a Marine is what you want, you'll find a way to make it happen.

As a mom I can tell ya...
    when she my poolee was 15 and talking about the USMC, I just kinda blew it off...as if she was really serious...
    By 17 when she'd arranged an audition with the Gunny and her recruiter...well...I began to see she was serious...since that moment, I've supported her completely.
    She told me her "whys" and her "wherefores" and her "plusses" and every reason why she wants to be a Marine...

I signed her DEP papers the day after her 17th b'day...and yes there are moments I look at her and think "she's leaving soon" and nearly cry...but those tears are always mixed with a ton of pride in that my baby girl is going ot be a Marine...she will have lived her life knowing she made a difference...

and yes...when I picture her in my mind...I still see that impish 9 year old that thought it was funny to startle the crap out of her mom...

Give your mom time...you've got plenty of it...and yes...as my poolee said, your mom can always contact me if she has questions on how to come to grips with her child becoming a Marine

hey

I told my parents when I was 17 I wanted to join the marines , my father was at the chosen reservior with the 1st mardiv believe it or not said hell no .
    I just shut my pie hole and didnt say jack. When I turned 18 I just went with out telling any one.
    I didnt write them till master gunny sgt moorehead made me (about 3 weeks into boot)
    Damn they was some proud parents at my graduation at P.I. I swore I saw that old leather neck shed a tear (he denies it).

The fact of the matter is if your a minor you will need to wait until your 18,if your not you must respect your parents wishes, that is what Honor is.

What you do now will only be explified later on in your Marine carreer(practice good traits they will carrier over).

Honor your parents and wait until your 18 unless they direct you other wise IMO.

Last edited by Hocker; 04-27-06 at 05:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Credits
    Savings
    Hunt man09 I am in the exact same situation. The subject has become a taboo conversation topic and I know that if I bring it up, I'll end up getting frustrated with my parents for being so short-sighted and stubborn about it. However, when I hit 18 (I just hit 17), it'll be a different story. No matter what your parents say now, if you go ahead and join and they see that you have worked your way through one of the most challenging military training programs in the world, they will be super proud, Hocker is living proof. Go for it! When you hit 18, it's YOUR life, don't avoid doing something because your parents aren't too keen on it.

Last edited by jinelson; 05-01-06 at 05:57 AM.

Thread Information