Floats?
Create Post

Thread: Floats?

Floats?

How many times is average, for someone with a combat arms MOS to go afloat in 4 years, i know that there are different types of floats, and such but can someone shed some light on how you get selected to go on a float. and if so, how often does this usually happen? Thanks!

I went once in my four years. I also served in Okinawa for 1 year and went to Saudi Arabia for a stint. If you are looking to travel around you are looking into the right armed force. I give you about a 50% chance of going on a float within 4 years.

Before Iraq I was with 2/1. I went twice. Back then it was basically an 18 month cycle. 6 month workup , 6 month deployment and 6 month downtime. From what I understand now , its 7 months in Iraq 7 months back in the states. Maybe a current grunt can either confirm or give better scoop.

Before I came to my new command it was, 1 year in iraq, 7 months home, then repeat.

I did 2 westpaks in 4 years , and some other places in between , but that was in 1985 to 89.

Thread Information