MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER, N.C. (April 18, 2006) -- The Bronze Star Medal was awarded to Master Gunnery Sgt. Norman P. Hoosier, Marine Aircraft Group-26 logistics chief, April 4, for meritorious achievement while he was deployed this past year in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

In the 13 months Hoosier was deployed to Al Asad Air Base, he dedicated more than 2,000 hours personally installing, repairing and rebuilding more than 200 pieces of equipment.

“From power generation to power delivery, to heating to cooling of spaces; anytime anything was needed, ‘Master Guns’ Hoosier and his team was on the job,” said Col. David J. Mollahan, MAG-26 commanding officer. “From the works he did, to the leadership he provided to his Marines, it was an extraordinary job overall.”

One of Hoosier’s greatest accomplishments was the coordination and organization of building a Post Exchange on the South Side of the base. He worked 12 to 14 hours a day for approximately a week to complete the work. He personally removed a wall within the unit, wired and equipped it with air conditioning, and built a shelving system.

“We had a modular building that was just like a trailer. He actually modified that building almost single-handedly,” said Maj. Clifton L. Turner, MAG-26 logistics officer. “It almost instantaneously boosted the morale of over 800 Marines. Just having those basic health and comfort items made it so much better.”

Hoosier was instrumental in providing valuable oversight for the establishment of Headquarters Squadron’s operational center and billeting areas. He also completely rewired the barracks to facilitate the installation of air conditioning units. Along with numerous other feats, he was, and remains, a mentor and teacher to his Marines, who Turner noted, “he genuinely cares for.”

“I’m proud and honored to accept this award. Although the Bronze Star is a personal award, I’ll never look at it that way. This is a group effort,” said Hoosier. “Personally, I take a lot of pride in the things that we were able to accomplish in Al Asad as a (logistics department) and a group as a whole.”

Ellie