are these "pogue" jobs?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

are these "pogue" jobs?

i'm considering selecting the field Combat Support.
    this includes:

Tanks
    Low Altitude Air Defense
    Amphibious Assault Vehicles
    Field Artillery

i decided against going infantry, but i still want to get out in the field.
    is everyone besides infantry a pogue? or is everyone who doesnt go in the field a pogue? thanks.

technically yes becuase it is actually POG...People Other than Grunts

Credits
    Savings

I guess I was a pogue.

Air Wing all the way.

I never met a 'grunt' who didn't like to fly in my whirling mass of palm fronds.

ZIPPO These are not ouge: jobs./ In Vietnam I was arty ( 4.2 mortars and 105mm howitzers) We went on patrols up to 1 click sometimes. We had our own LPs and OPs we hade to man. Around the DMZ we would get NVA arte mortars and rockits. The grunts would be in the trenches and bunkers, we, arty would be on our guns firing counter fire. I lost one very good friend on hill 881 south while firing counter battery fire. There is one thing you could not pay me to do and that is being in a tank that has been hit with a 75mm anti tank round. It is not a pretty pitcher. Not much left. You go the way you want. There is no such thing as a pouge in the USMC. If any of you people disagree then go look a what as you call "pouges" that were at Con Tean Kah Sahn, GioLine and just about any place that the Marines have been. Some of you young people have a lot to learn.

just to let ya know the IFV is giong to replace the AAV in 07... so look into those they are crazy... 30 mm bushmaster... the works... just look into em its pretty kool

You do not want to be inside a tank if it throws a final drive. Shrapnel flies all over the inside of the tank. These were the old M50 tanks.

Zippo lol..technically its true....the definition of a POG is Person Other than Grunt. Grunts being infantryman ...so yeah by definition you would be a POG. but thats all that is just a definition. Alot of those guys go to the field , shoot massive weapons, and do all kinds of grunt stuff. For example in Iraq they stand post, go on limited patrols and shoot their MK19s, .50 cals, and their 240 golfs. So dont stress about that term . Youll still a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw3179
    Zippo lol..technically its true....the definition of a POG is Person Other than Grunt. Grunts being infantryman ...so yeah by definition you would be a POG. but thats all that is just a definition. Alot of those guys go to the field , shoot massive weapons, and do all kinds of grunt stuff. For example in Iraq they stand post, go on limited patrols and shoot their MK19s, .50 cals, and their 240 golfs. So dont stress about that term . Youll still a Marine.
    Is an 0621(Field Radio Operator) that gets attached to an Infantry unit considered a POG?

I'd always heard them referred to as "Battery Operated Grunts"

MKocher========== Stay away from me. With all them antenas poking in the air you draw to much fire.

Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung
    MKocher========== Stay away from me. With all them antenas poking in the air you draw to much fire.
    Awww dammit!!

ggyoung, i'm sorry sir i never meant to offend you. i was in no way implying that no one likes pogues-- or that "they" never fought-- i was simply asking the definition of it.
    and thanks alot for the replies.

smalcom... it's called the AAAV (Advanced Amphibian Assault Vehicle), is it not?
    i read up on it... it says it "operates on land as an infantry fighting vehicle".
    and that's the MOS i'm contracted to (in reserves) right now..
    guess i have to take into account that i'll only be operating an AAV for a few months before the AAAV starts to take over... they look even more bad ass.

Kocher, one of the MOS's I held was 2531/0621 (it changed on me in the middle). That being said, I feel fully qualified to say YES, a radio operator is a pouge. Fact is, if you aren't an 03, you are a pouge. In a stricter form, everyone that isn't an 0311 exists for the sole purpose of supporting the hard chargers that are 0311's, so it would be possible to call them pouges. (However, I saw some nasty things happen with 11's decided to inform the Force guys that they were pouges)

On a side note, if those are the jobs you are thinking about doing Zippo, I would say go LAAD. The Avnenger is a cool toy, just be warned that at least 2nd LAAD has it rough. Being that close to being a grunt on an air station causes some problems for them.

You don't want to go LAAD. They are in the process of being phased out. The Avengers have been modified. They took the Stingers off of them and put 240's and .50Cals on them. We have a LAAD Battalion where I am. They will be standing down shortly from what I understand.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    All I am going to say is "6541 Aviation Ordnance" We were Airwing but no way were we considered pogue's or pogs. We drank beer, kicked azz and had woman with the best grunts around. We are the only MOS in the Corps that celebrates it Birthday. Tight nit group of crazy Marines!! Try it you will like it!!!

I'd like to see a poll done. How many of these Poolees that come in here saying they want to be Recon or Grunts and get in the "sh!t" end up as admin or some other support position. I'm guessing there are quite a few.

Thread Information