PICTURES OF THE YEAR (tear Jerker)
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PICTURES OF THE YEAR (tear Jerker)

Here are two pictures that were awarded first and second place at the picture of the year international this year. Very very touching photos.
    First Place

First Place
    Todd Heisler The Rocky Mountain News
    When 2nd Lt. James Cathey's body arrived at the Reno Airport, Marines climbed into the cargo hold of the plane and draped the flag over his casket as passengers watched the family gather on the tarmac. During the arrival of another Marine's casket last year at Denver International Airport, Major Steve Beck described the scene as one of the most powerful in the process: "See the people in the windows? They'll sit right there in the plane, watching those Marines. You gotta wonder what's going through their minds, knowing that they're on the plane that brought him home," he said. "They're going to remember being on that plane for the rest of their lives. They're going to remember bringing that Marine home. And they should."

Second Place

Second Place
    Todd Heisler The Rocky Mountain News
    The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of 'Cat,' and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. "I think it would be kind of nice if you! kept doing it," she said. "I think that's what he would have wanted."

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If a picture is worth a thousand words, then this says a hole lot more than protestors could ever say.

Ed you are correct this is a real tear generator. Thank you...!!!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Both pictures speak volumns on what Marines do for each other. Semper Fidelis ~ Always Faithful

Credits
    Savings

ED, that is a very powerful presentation. Thanks.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The longer you look at these photographs, the longer the silence seems.
    Thank you, Ed.

Amen on the very touching photographs!!!! They definitely make you pause and reflect on your loved ones serving our Country.

Thanks Ed (Sorry I missed you at the VA the other day - next time your coming in to KC let me know ahead of time and I'll buy your lunch.)

SEMPER FI,
    OLE SARG

This series of articles that ran last year in the Rocky Mountain News is one of the few remaining examples of excellence when it comes to photo journalism. The photographer's respect for the subject is quite obvious while at the same time communicating visually what can not often be put in words. Great job Todd Heisler, and thank you for honoring our Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    Outstanding pictures, Ed. Thanks for sharing. And as CplCrotty said, Thank you Todd Heisler for your powerful pictures.

Registered User Free Member lovdog's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    For the ones that give their life, there are the loved ones that are left behind that suffer with the loss for the rest of their days and some never do recover from their grief. So many fathers, mothers, siblings, sons & daughters and relatives have been shattered emotionally by this war. Perhaps if our leadership in Washington looked at these pictures on a daily basis it would finally sink in that there has to be something done to end these tragedies.
    When I was in, we made it a point to try to protect those Marines that were married and had families - the ones that were single would take the brunt of the dangerous duties if possible - I hope its still that way. Good job Ed. SF

All choked up, Thank God for these Men, who stand up on the front lines.
    Semper Fi. And THANKS

Lovedog.......My Marine son said this still holds true. He has 1 tore in Iraq and a one more coming up. My Navy son who is on the Abe Lincoln for his 2ed tour on her was at Honkong when the big wave hit on 26Dec2005 they went on relef(sp) they would not let married people off the ship. Please don't mind my spelling.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    WOW! AWESOME! Brought back a 37 year old memory for me..................

you are right

The picture of the wife next her husband is so sad. My heart goes out to her.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    THIS IS WHAT,IT'S REALLY ALL ABOUT! WHERE THE STAR'S AND STRIPE'S AND THE EAGLE,FLIE'S.......ALL GAVE SOME,SOME GAVE ALL!

Unhappy Pictures of the year

Those two pictures brought tears to my eyes. They reminded me of my lost friends from the Korean "police action" as well as 'Nam. Thank you for the posting, Ed. Made me even more, if possible, proud to be a Marine. Semper Fi

Thread Information