To kick things off... - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Proper greeting of the day, noon or night...

"Good morning, afternoon, or night, followed by the rank of the Marine"
    Generally it from a lower rank to higher rank,
    But there been occasions, when an Officer might asked;
    How are you doing Marine before you can render that officer a proper greeting.
    I was reading a web page, where a Marine corporal asked, why can't we extend courtesy to one another as enlisted Marines.
    His point being that we all went through boot camp, and we should acknowledge that fact, instead of just passing by.

I've heard that you only really need to take your SS card, and nothin' else. Is that true, or should I take my driver's license instead/also?

Credits
    Savings
    Proper greeting of the day: "Good morning/afternoon/evening, sir/ma'am". That is very important in boot, don't say it at the proper time and most likely your a$$ will be on the QD paying for it.

Almost anything you bring will be thrown away or put into storage. Only take your SS card, and that's about it. You can take a bible or religious medalion, and a list of addresses who you would like to write in boot, nothing else.

I paid for what I wore to boot, I had on some sweat pants for mobility purposes, knew I would have to move fast so no heavy jeans, but the DI's didn't like it that I was a step ahead and I paid for it, also because it's not really suitable civi attire, and a small purse to hold my documents in, it was the smallest thing I could find, I paid for that too.

Start getting used to rolling with the punches; that's one of the things that separated the recruits that did really well from the recruits that had a really hard time.

Ahhh, I see. Thanks.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Poolee Sanders please read the link below it was started by a 100% real active Drill Instructor in the hopes of helping you and the Corps. He gives a list of ten things that you may bring then adds one more that he forgot. So anymore than the 11 items and most of you will not need that many because the matters were handled by MEP's prior are contraband and forbidden! Do you hear that, is it clear? There is currently misinformation being sent to all high school aged military prospects from another website and I will take that up with our administrator. Until you hear more from me on the subject the Drill Instructors list should be what you go by unless you like being the subject of very close attention at MCRD!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25168

Jim

Last edited by jinelson; 05-05-06 at 04:58 AM.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jinelson
    Poolee Sanders please read the link below it was started by a 100% real active Drill Instructor in the hopes of helping you and the Corps. He gives a list of ten things that you may bring then adds one more that he forgot. So anymore than the 11 items and most of you will not need that many because the matters were handled by MEP's prior are contraband and forbidden! Do you hear that, is it clear? There is currently misinformation being sent to all high school aged military prospects from another website and I will take that up with our administrator. Until you hear more from me on the subject the Drill Instructors list should be what you go by unless you like being the subject of very close attention at MCRD!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25168

Jim

I was waiting for this to happen. Sheesh, it's unbelievable that folks even answer these posts. Good Job, Jim.

oh yeah, kin i bring a paperback and torch? i like to read a few minutes before falling asleep. sheeit!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Good job Jim!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mayotte
    I think you forgot to say: Don't bring contraband of any kind; i.e.; pocketknives,watches,gum, lighters/matches, etc.
    A friend that left for boot a while back brought a forgotten shotgun shell(live ammo) in his left coat pocket to the airport. He is a Marine now though.

Sorry the post before was me not my fiance. She forgot to log out. Sorry.

the best thing for you to do is keep out of mind and out of sight... in other words unless its for a good thing stay out of the spotlight, and be motivated sound off, and move fast... remember recruits are nasty you can never do anything right and you are always wrong... if you stay motivated then you will do fine

Stanley Hroszow
    Guest Free Member
    Do not do what the group did, we went by train from RI with a four hour lay- over in NY, City well to make a long story short when we got to boot camp all heck broke out because we got drunk on the way down. some got in trouble they herd about it and we caught it untill the fourth or fifth week and it was hell.

The trick is show up and be invisible. ANYTHING that makes you stand out makes you a target. You want to look EXACTLY like the 79 other recruits. I can guarantee there WILL be something for the Drill instructor to use to single you out, don't help him out. Follow the lead of what the Drill instructor says to bring in the link from JINELSON you were provided.

If you really think you are an exception to those VERY specific instructions then may God rest your soul because your Azz is the Drill Instructor's and he is gonna mow it!!!!

All I took with me in 1968 were the clothes on my back and a very small suitcase with which to ship it back home. My father still uses that same suitcase (with the mailing tag I had to fill out still in it) to this day for his rifle/pistol cleaning gear.

yes, definitely lay low. DONT be the overweight recruit either, you will get put on your face more than anyone! Just do what you are told and in an efficient manner.

Thread Information