Old Corps enlisted rank
Create Post

Old Corps enlisted rank

http://mujweb.atlas.cz/kultura/usmc/ranks01E.htm

This is the third thread on this, but this is the best link I've seen. GunnyG sent this to me! I told you he was the man when it came to such stuff! Thanks fer gettin' us sorted out Gunny!

Here's the rest of it!

http://mujweb.atlas.cz/kultura/usmc/ranks02E.htm

GunnyG's site has the best text history I've personally seen on enlisted rank insignia. Take a look at his site fer more info!

Note:
    Happy to report that I have just received an e-mail from mr. Jaroslav Jochman, in Europe, authorizing me to link his website and his USMC rank images to my own GyG websites on History of USMC Enlisted Rank!!!

As I have noted elsewhere at various times--I have been searching for the photos of all Marine enlisted ranks dating back to 1900-- searching for more than four years to no avail--so this is for me a real find!

Best,
    DickG

Well done Gunny!

I know there's a lot of folks who appreciate this!

Registered User Free Member Havelka's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Originally posted by gunnyg
    Note:
    Happy to report that I have just received an e-mail from mr. Jaroslav Jochman, in Europe, authorizing me to link his website and his USMC rank images to my own GyG websites on History of USMC Enlisted Rank!!!

As I have noted elsewhere at various times--I have been searching for the photos of all Marine enlisted ranks dating back to 1900-- searching for more than four years to no avail--so this is for me a real find!

Best,
    DickG
    Until 1959 there was only 7 enlisted pay grades,M/Sgt,1st/Sgt
    and Sgt/Maj were all E-7's .The 4 rockers came in with E-9.
    S/F Gy Havelka

Matter of fact, the 1Sgt/SgtMaj ranks didn't exist within the E-7 paygrade until about 1954--prior to that the SgtMaj/1stSgt were MSgts and were selected to fill the billets of SgtMaj/1stSgt, usually by seniority (there were exceptions), from one command to another. When MSgts were selected to fill the SgtMaj/1stSgt billets, they were still MSgts, but their organizational title was that of SgtMaj/1stSgt--so, in 1954, HQMC changed the rank structure to promote to the actual ranks of Sgtmaj/1stSgt, although this was still within the paygrade E-7, but they got the actual title and were no longer MSgts. That rank structure had begun in 1946.

It was common, at that time, that a "Personnel Sgt Major" (Admin) was also appointed at Battalion level and higher, as had previously been done all through WW II, and, perhaps, even prior to that.

DickG

Thread Information