Jarhead
Create Post
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarhead

Jarhead

Hey Jarhead just came out today and i was wondering what you all thought about that movie. I thought it was ok but it could of been better. But for the most part it was good.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I did not see the movie. I read the book and thought that Anthony swoffard was disrespectful to the Marine Corps and Marines in general. I do not plan to see the movie unless it is much different than the book.

the movie is quite a bit different... a lot of Marines enjoy the movie quite a bit... just try to see it if u want

Jarhead is by far the worst Marine movie i have ever seen in my life. It truely was a waste of money and the time i spent watching it. It only shows how one individual was un-motivaited, and did not want to be in the corps. My girlfriends dad saw it and pretty much said afterwards "watching that movie was like getting slapped in the face".

Boo on Jarhead

The book was definitley better than the movie. I laughed the whole time. In my humble opinion it was a good and accurate movie. The movie was trying to show what its like when a bunch of Type A guys get bored. You will see when you get to your unit. There is a lot of stuff like that going on. You can be the most motivated Marine in the Corps but you will act like that too when you are sitting around for months on end. But I wouldnt expect any of you guys to understand that....yet!!!

I thought the book sucked cuz Swofford all he did was whine about how he hated the Marine Corps. ..the movie though was entertaining and I enjoyed the parts when it was just talking about how the Marines hang out and kill time. I thought that was pretty accurate but eveything else ..not so much . Book sucked , Movie was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by awb5711
    The book was definitley better than the movie. I laughed the whole time. In my humble opinion it was a good and accurate movie. The movie was trying to show what its like when a bunch of Type A guys get bored. You will see when you get to your unit. There is a lot of stuff like that going on. You can be the most motivated Marine in the Corps but you will act like that too when you are sitting around for months on end. But I wouldnt expect any of you guys to understand that....yet!!!
    If the movie "Jarhead" depicts the way our Marines are conducting themselves these day's, then I am very glad that I retired in 1973. During my time in the Corps a Marine knew better than to act in that manner. But I wouldnt expect you to understand that.

The book was amazing. I've read it about 4 or 5 times and re-reading it again. I loved the movie. Although the movie didn't touch on the book very much. The movie could have been a LOT better. But on its own I liked it.

You have to realise the book and the movie is not about The Corps. It's a ****ing memoir. It IS about one individual. So I don't understand all these Marines crying over how it wasn't moto. How it was a 'slap in the face'. The movie is not about the ****ing Corps! It's about Anthony ****ing Swofford. About HIS experiance, about the things HE went through while at war. If you want a movie to tickle your ****ing balls about damn Corps watch Sands Of Iwo Jimo or Gung Ho!, or some ****.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Look at this little poolee puke coming on here and being DISRESPECTFUL to us that earned the Title. Saying we are crying about this, b*tching about that, and let me tell you something; You do not even rate to speak or talk like that to any one of us on this site. We have sweated and bleed for the Corps. Maybe we don't like being put in a negative light to the civilian world in which you still live in. So be sure to mind your manners little boy before a Marine minds them for you.

Geez cowboy ...can you keep your spurs from jingling ..calm down

Focus I understand youve probably seen every war movie there is out there and you think you know , but you dont . So keep your mouth shut and go earn the ****** the title first before you speak about what you dont know.

How am I disrespecting the title? My point is quite simple. It's not a movie about the Corps. It's based on a book which is a memoir. Just because he was un motivated, doesn't make the Corps look bad.

This has nothing to do with what war movies I've seen or not. My point is still that it wasn't meant to be some moto movie about the Corps. I think all of you are taking the movie out of context greatly.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Focus - you'll see once you make it through (IF you make it through) - the book sucked! Anthony Swofford sucks!

And Jason - Semper Fi my friend - I'm an Ordie (6541) too! I was at H&MS 11 at El Toro back in the 80s. That's the first time I've seen ANYBODY use IYAOYAS. That's cool as hell!

I realise Swofford wasn't the best Marine just from reading the book Marine. My point, as I've said over and over, is that non the less it is about HIS experiance there. That is why I like the book. Because it is a memoir of that time of his life. I dont like it beacuse of the content it even holds about the Marine Corps. I love the subjects he tackles in the book about his emotions. His thinking, and esspecially his writing.

Do you think I read that book and said "Wow! This is what it's really like!"

Or saw the movie and thought "Wow! Thats what the Corps is going to be like!"

Please do not play me for some fool. I think some people are taking the book and movie out of context. I seriously doubt anyone walked out of the theatre or away from the book thinking any differantly than they previously did about the Corps, however much or little they previously knew. I also fail to see how I am disrespecting anyone with the point I am trying to make here.

No big deal Focus..in a few years youll be the next guy writing a book about how the Corps sucks, and how you were abused, and so on , and so on. and Im sure your book will suck just as bad as Anthony Swoffords. But hey ..stay motivated. Yut Yut!

Thread Information