i need some advice
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i need some advice

ok im really stumped and dont know what to do. we pt every tuesday and thursday night for a couple hours. i have been bringing this 14 year old that is in one of my classes. he is convinced that he wants to be a marine and i was all for at first. but now im realizing that he is extrmeley imature and that he has no heart for it. he has been coming for about a month and a half now and is not improving or even trying. he has no motivation at all and when i try to get him to keep going and give it is all he tells me that he cant or something hurts. i dont know if i should stop bringing him or what. what do you guys think? thanks

Keep bringing him..

At 14 we all were immature.. shoot at 24 I think i was still immature.. its one of those things...

He needs some guidance and if hes getting it from Role Models like your recruiter and the rest of the guys then he will work it all out.. If it keeps him off drugs out of the street world of causing trouble let him stick around... He will wisen up.. and even doing 1.5 miles twice a week sooner or later he'll make it to the 3 mile.. Idea if you wanna start getting him motivated.. find a female that is willing to PT with you all.. Im pretty sure he will keep up then.. no one wants to look bad infront of a woman..

Quote Originally Posted by hunter06
    ok im really stumped and dont know what to do. we pt every tuesday and thursday night for a couple hours. i have been bringing this 14 year old that is in one of my classes. he is convinced that he wants to be a marine and i was all for at first. but now im realizing that he is extrmeley imature and that he has no heart for it. he has been coming for about a month and a half now and is not improving or even trying. he has no motivation at all and when i try to get him to keep going and give it is all he tells me that he cant or something hurts. i dont know if i should stop bringing him or what. what do you guys think? thanks
    Stop bringing him. Hes 14 years old, if this is what he really wants to do, then 4 years from now, he'll still enlist. Its a good thought on your part - wanting to help him out, but it benefits you zilch to keep dragging him along. And right now, your thoughts and energy need to be focused on recruit training.

Hes just too young.. if he was 16 i'd say keep taking him. But hes got 4 more years.. he has his entire highschool career ahead of him. A lot can change in those 4 years...

-Lake

when i was 15 i told a former Marine that that's what i was doing. he laughed and said, "you've got a while to decide." granted, i wanted to join the Air Force in high school. :rolls eyes:

yea i just got back from pt a little bit ago and i did bring him tonight. and again he gave no effort at all. i think im going to talk to him in school tomoro and tell him that im thinking about not bringing him no more because of his lack of effort. i just dont want to crush or dreams of becoming a Marine or anything like that. that is true that he is still very young and has alot of time until he can enlist so he might change his mind. but thanks for all your thoughts and opinions

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

wish someone woulda brought me regardless

Quote Originally Posted by hunter06
    yea i just got back from pt a little bit ago and i did bring him tonight. and again he gave no effort at all. i think im going to talk to him in school tomoro and tell him that im thinking about not bringing him no more because of his lack of effort. i just dont want to crush or dreams of becoming a Marine or anything like that. that is true that he is still very young and has alot of time until he can enlist so he might change his mind. but thanks for all your thoughts and opinions
    was in a similar situation when I was younger... me n the kid got in a fight and weren't friends anymore... fell into the wrong crowd and got myself intosome trouble.... long story short if you can keep him interested at least a little in the Marines, he will or won't get MOTO and if not... you did your all.

i think you should explain your point of view to him. tell him that he needs to try harder, otherwise you won't keep bringing him because the Marines is all about giving your all. tell him that before you just flat-out drop him.

yea thats true ill talk to him thanks

yea i talked to him and he told me his is trying to do his best but tomoro (thursday) we pt again so he told me he is really going to try. so we'll see what happens

I'm a little surprised at the responces in here.. Since when does a Marine ever leave a buddy behind?? If you aren't willing to help a friend out when you aren't in combat, I don't see you being willing to help a Marine out when you are..
    The morals that bind us are formed in the normal day to day life that you live.. they are hardened in combat.
    But right now the poolees that have responded with tell him to take a hike need to look deep down inside and consider what you just said and think back to when you were in his shoes.. would you want to be told the same thing...

I'm not sure I would want to be sitting in a fighting position next to you.. I'd wonder if you would ensure that one way or another I made it home..

Quote Originally Posted by VaMarine
    I'm a little surprised at the responces in here.. Since when does a Marine ever leave a buddy behind?? If you aren't willing to help a friend out when you aren't in combat, I don't see you being willing to help a Marine out when you are..
    The morals that bind us are formed in the normal day to day life that you live.. they are hardened in combat.
    But right now the poolees that have responded with tell him to take a hike need to look deep down inside and consider what you just said and think back to when you were in his shoes.. would you want to be told the same thing...

I'm not sure I would want to be sitting in a fighting position next to you.. I'd wonder if you would ensure that one way or another I made it home..
    Yeah, but VA - these guys aren't Marines yet. The Corps will teach them those qualities. When they have been through the fire, then they'll be ready.

I gotta tell ya that their motivation is admirable. I only joined the Corps in '79 because I was mad at my own lack of discipline, and joined the Corps because I heard they were the toughest. These are young people who can't join yet, yet are living their lives to join the Marine Corps. I think that is outstanding - and all kudos to you guys!

Right on VAMARINE,

Listen up,

You need to keep your head in the game son. You got this boy interested right? You have even been taking him to your P.T. sessions, right? It sounds to me like this young buck looks up to YOU!!! Why wouldn't you go out of your way to help him on his journey?!!!

I understand that you are preparing for your own battle now, But NEVER forget the men that will follow you into battle, when you are a Sgt. he may be your Pvt................. So my advice is to hold the coarse, finish what you have started and if he wants to quit it will not be held against you, you will have done your best!!!!

Good luck and godspeed,

Quote Originally Posted by scopekill27
    Right on VAMARINE,

Listen up,

You need to keep your head in the game son. You got this boy interested right? You have even been taking him to your P.T. sessions, right? It sounds to me like this young buck looks up to YOU!!! Why wouldn't you go out of your way to help him on his journey?!!!

I understand that you are preparing for your own battle now, But NEVER forget the men that will follow you into battle, when you are a Sgt. he may be your Pvt................. So my advice is to hold the coarse, finish what you have started and if he wants to quit it will not be held against you, you will have done your best!!!!

Good luck and godspeed,
    Sheez - now all the hardcores are coming out of the woodwork. I wonder just how "gung-ho" you guys were **prior** to boot. I think "zero" but what do I know? I just know to keep it REAL!

Hunter, you are doing well. The work you are doing is great - and hell - I admire you for it. I just get a real spur in my butt about those expect you to "act like a Marine" when you haven't even been through boot camp yet. Some would call it "motivation." I call it unreal expectations, and a delusional view of how they were **before** they entered boot camp. But that is just my view.

Kudos Hunter.

Steve

Shadowman...

I believe I am keeping it real and trying to make the connection of outside the world to the inside world..

As well a Marine told them to drop him.. thats not the way its supposed to go..

Now prior to joining i did 4 years of JROTC, and a Explorer with the fire department.. The Marine Corps didnt teach me the mentality of never leave a man behind.. I learned that way before them.. I believe my point was clear.. Im disappointed that a Marine would tell someone to turn his back on someone..

As well I'm disappointed that the poolees didnt see the need to "waste" time on the 14 year old.. Had the recruiter not felt like wasting his time on them where would they be?? Not heading to Marine Corps Boot Camp... Just what goes around comes around.. thats all...

Arrow

"Sheez - now all the hardcores are coming out of the woodwork. I wonder just how "gung-ho" you guys were **prior** to boot. I think "zero" but what do I know? I just know to keep it REAL!"

This recruit asked for advice, (in a open forum I might add) where we as Marines have a duty to give him/her the best possible advice we can muster.:o I believe that every recruit will have there own oppinion on this matter, but I also believe that as Marines we have been taught to generally see the same view on at least a few topics!

One of those topics VaMarine brought up and I agreeded with ( never leave a man behind). I am not questioning your judgement and never will but surely you can see our point of view as well having spilled blood in the same mud.

If I am out of line I appologize, but will not appologize for my oppinions:o

Thread Information