Question about Contact Lenses at Recruit Training(DrillInstructor?)
Create Post

Question about Contact Lenses at Recruit Training(DrillInstructor?)

Now, I understand that I won't be allowed to wear my contacts during training, and I definately understand the reasons why, the damn things pop out in the shower sometimes so I know they would come out under water.

Anyway, what I'm wondering about is if I'd be able to bring a fresh pair with me to use on Family Day and during Graduation. I really don't want the first sight my family sees of me in 3 months to be wearing BC glasses.

Anyway, I totally understand if it's not possible but I was wondering if anyone else had done something similar.

Thanks,

MKocher

My thought is - no. I don't think that you will be allowed to keep your contacts even though you plan on not wearing them. If i recall correctly, you will not be allowed to keep very much from your civilian life at all, I'm thinking a few pictures was all I was allowed to keep.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Just take the glasses off at graduation. That's what I plan on doing. I don't plan on wearing them for pictures or PFTs either.

I know for a fact you wont be able to keep contacts with you.. and most the time in the training environment they wont let you wear them even after boot camp.. MCT, SOI i know for a fact you cant...

Depending on your unit at the fleet but most day to day activities you can but times like the range and that stuff you cant,..

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Michael Im sorry but the sergeant is correct in what he told you. You will not be allowed to have your contacts during recruit training. And I have some more bad news for you you will not be allowed to wear them on family day either. You will also wear your BCG's during graduation the following day. Have your folks bring your contacts with them and immediately after you are dismissed from graduation you can wear your contacts. I dont blame you the BCG's are hideous and have been for as long as I remember.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I guess I'll just suck it up and wear them. Hah. I can't honestly remember how bad my vision is without contacts, because I've been wearing the night & day ones(just have to change them once a month, and even sleep in them and stufF) for about 2 years now.

Maybe my vision is good enough that for something like Graduation where I won't need 20/20 vision I'll be able to just leave them behind. I'll definately be telling my parents to bring me my contacts though

Thanks again!

If you're the guide you may want to wear them - vision is more important for them as they can't simply follow the guy in front! Though that may make for some memorable boot camp memories!

Quote Originally Posted by jryanjack
    If you're the guide you may want to wear them - vision is more important for them as they can't simply follow the guy in front! Though that may make for some memorable boot camp memories!
    If I'm the Guide I will be wearing them and not giving a rat's ass what I look like in them because I'll be the most psyched person ever. Graduating boot camp as a LCpl would rule.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Somoene want to fill me in? How can a recruit graduate as a LCpl?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn
    Somoene want to fill me in? How can a recruit graduate as a LCpl?
    If you go in as a contract PFC and graduate boot camp in a position that gets a meritorious promotion, you graduate as a LCpl.

Same way that people who go in as Privates graduate as PFCs.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Its much more than that. Graduating as a L/Cpl is a rarity. From the recent discussion threads from Drill Instructors and Veterans, it takes a whole lot.

While there is no actual numbers posted, lots of college credits is part of it. If you were your class president with a 4.0 average, signed 2 or more buddies to go in with you, have a perfect 300 PFT, taken a year of college, and basically wowed your Drill Instructors, you just might graduate L/Cpl.

It is far easier to graduate high school with a 4.0 than to "wow" your Drill Instructors. Just concentrate on Earning the Title. Your level of Leadership will naturally come through.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Talking

The issued BCs as you call them are not the same as the BCs or Tank Killers of yester year. Back then they were generally "fugly". But hey the drill instructors don't care about your appearance at all. They hate everybody the same. There is no such thing as prejudice at recruit training because of what you look like. Get the title and getr done that is all that you or any poollees needs to be concerned about at this point till you get the coveted Eagle Globe and Anchor.

So your telling me you HAVE to wear the glasses when you Graduate? I really wouldnt want to show up with my folks laughing at me with them huge glasses on.. When you get to your MOS school or the fleet any other styles of glasses they let you wear or just the ugly ass, thick BCG's?

You definetely won't be able to wear contacts during graduation, and your DI will make you wear your BCG's most likely. I tried to leave mine behind during graduation and was made to get them and wear them, the DI's will remember who is supposed to wear them and who isn't. Just do what I did, as soon as we did our about face and Oorah, the first thing I did was take them off, and your family prolly won't be able to pick you out during graduation anyways cause you all look alike and your in formation far away. Family day you're just screwed. You're not supposed to wear them during SOI, honestly though I did, and I caught pink eye. During boot camp you won't be allowed to wear glasses during martial arts, swim qual, O-course runs, rapelling and Confidence course, which sucks. In the fleet you can wear them to the range, I haven't worn glasses since boot camp. And the glasses they issue you in the fleet now are a lot better, they're normal. The only time I haven't worn my contacts since I left bootcamp has been the gas chamber and OC spray. You should absolutely always carry an extra contact lense or two with you everywhere no matter what though after bootcamp, no telling when one will pop out. And when you go to the field, don't forget to take a week's worth.

Thread Information