Hearing Question - Page 8
Create Post
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildoghopeful
    How are you doing? I imagine today wasn't a great day for you. Hang in there buddy.
    Thanks for your support, just moving on -- since the Marines is a No go, I'm really trying to figure out what I wanna do/Major in -- and fast. Just lost that's all.

Jordon

i know excatly how you feel, im tryin to get in myself but im smashing my head into brick walls.
    see i have a 60 db loss, and with the new digi aid im up at 15 db loss.
    which seems to pass the papers. but still even at 30 db loss its strongly recomended by audiologists to wear aids.
    lets just say this is one heck of a tough ride for me.

im not quitting im using everything in my knowledge to get in.

im an active member of the Wright County Sheriff Explorer post 641, if they took me into their program, surely the marines.

*sigh*

stumped.
    and will not stop. ive been doing this since my 17 th birthday.

This is all very heart breaking for me. I'm in the same boat. I can only pray that I get an approval. I was told by Major Wastilas that I would get an answer by Thursday Jan 31. I was hoping to read something good but I'm losing hope the more I read. All I can do now is only pray.

dont let what you read or other people put you down.
    thats what its all about. you gotta be tough and tell them to bug off.
    if you want somthing, and people tell you no. dont take it. fight and fight to the end untill the big dog tells you no.

the only reason i choose the Marines for my first in top choices to join for a military career is because theyre the first to fight, surely they can make history and be the first to accept people with hearing aids.
    the aids changed tremendously in the last 5 years. surely they would understand.
    my french teacher is a CNO in the US. Navy, she is helping me with the enlistment. however what shocked me recently was i qualify for the draft. so if there is to be a draft, i can get drafted. but ... i cannot enlist. i find that very confusing.

anyone in the armed forces agree ?

a hooah for all those in service !!!

FILL OUT A PROFILE AND FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE SITE!!!!

That includes grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

As far as the hearing bit goes, the military knows that you will eventually suffer some sort of hearing loss while in. A moderate loss, at your levels where you are currently at, will likely deafen you. The military doesn't want that to happen, so therefore, you are disqualified.

Lastly, if you are DQ for enlistment, you are DQ for any 'draft' as well. DQ is DQ.

mhmm,
    I dont care if i lose all my hearing in combat, at least i did somthin for my country. I think thats called sacrafice. *shrugs*
    All i know is that i contacted the Selective Service System, and explained my situation and level of my loss. I also sent them by mail my audiogram with and without the hearing aids. They said they would contact me in a few days with information regarding restrictions and eligibility for registering and being drafted "IF" it gets activated by congress.
    Hence they did contact me the following week and said, yes i qualify. so i registered and got my draft card.

but, i keep getting denied enlistment. Somthing just doesnt make sense,thats all im saying.

i have a draft card, would it be best to show a recriuter the card ??

Is this in the United States? Because, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a 'draft card' these days. All you do is register, and that's it. There are no longer draft boards or anything of the type.

Sure....show the recruiter anything you want..but DQ is DQ, and if MEPS has already said "No", then you are pretty much out of luck.

Finally, if you 'lose all hearing' in combat, then you are a disabled vet and the gummint has to pay you for the rest of your life. That's one of the reasons (but not the only one) they won't do it. Also, if you have serious hearing issues, you could be a danger to yourself, and others, in a combat situation. Ever consider that?

Well today I'm going in for further hearing questions. I hope I hear some good news.

break a leg,
    victory one way or another ! hooah !

Ha, this is my old thread. I was amazed when I saw this on the first page.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun

Finally, if you 'lose all hearing' in combat, then you are a disabled vet and the gummint has to pay you for the rest of your life. That's one of the reasons (but not the only one) they won't do it. Also, if you have serious hearing issues, you could be a danger to yourself, and others, in a combat situation. Ever consider that?
    Yes, I've considered that. That's why I would do a non-combat MOS.

Well I just got back and the waiver has been turned in again. My hearing in the left is better than average but the hearing in my right ear has a moderate to severe slope in hearing loss. Which ranges from 40 to 80 db. Speech recognition is 100% on my left and 92% on my right ear. My SSgt says I have a great chance. I just hope it's not smoke he's blowing. All this missing school because of testing is putting me in a bad spot. Not to mention the hour I drive every day in order to go PT.

I'm starting to wear thin. This is really getting to me. I was told the waiver would only take 72 hours but now I'm told it can take up to a month. Every hour that passes I lose a little hope. I want to give up and forget about it and find another job and wait for a phone call because thinking about it drives me insane.

Took me 12 weeks to get my first waiver. Denied.

Sorry to burst you bubble, but I to have a slight hearing loss in my right ear as well. I was told it was going to keep me out, and I also had a recruiter who used to work at MEPS tell me I had no chance. The failure level is around 65 Hertz. I was on the failure line. All my tests say it, since I got them when I was little up until now. It hasn't changed ever. So I said what the hell and went to MEPS anyways. Keep in mind I've always wanted to be a Marine all my life. If I would have gotten turned down, I would have been so devestated. Anyways, I took the ASVAB, passed, started my physical, passed everything with flying colors, finally got to the hearing test and my heart was jumping out of my chest! I went in the booth and held the clicker so nervously. I tried my hardest and listened carefully, I didn't even cheat by just randomlly clicking it. The test got done and I passed better than I do usually, I was so excited, the happiest I've ever been, Its like It was meant to happen. It made me let myself know I was meant to be a Marine. Anyways due to your hearing loss seeming like it is a bit worse than mine, It is somwhat good you are being kept out, no offense. You being in the Marines in a combat situation you could be detrimental to another Marine. You got rounds going off all around you shells exploding and a lot of men yelling around you. Odds are you are not going to here somebody anyways really well, now imagine a person with their hearing half gone...this could be a very serious problem, and Im not trying to be a jerk or anything, no offense at all brother, but I would not want you around me in a combat situation in fear of my life, (you not hearing me)
    Anyways, my 2 cents? Anybody think Im being an ass, whatever...input please?

Thread Information