Designated Marksmen???
Create Post

Designated Marksmen???

does anyone have any info on Designated Marksmen, like are they attatched to Rifle squads, or are they a seperate force, or wat. please any info will be appreciated

Perhaps it is because im a junior Marine...but i've never heard of "designated marksmen". One of these older devil dogs might know...but if you are referring to...say, Scout/Snipers....they have there own units. Usually small platoons...but if your talking about something else, hopefully another Marine here can help you out, or i can research it out for you. Semper Fi...

no not scout snipers, they are designated marksmen, and ive heard they are issued M14s but thats all i know, they arent as long range as scout/snipers.

DM's are generally attached to a platoon or squad, and employed in pairs, the shooter and the spotter. They are issued M14's, and they aren't scout snipers. They do go thru a pretty tough school, at least the one around here at Damneck is, and the final qual is really tough. They usually only send high experts who have some brains to DM school. I know in FAST Co. most platoons have 4-6 DM's, I don't how they regulate DM school spots in the regular infantry. DM's have it pretty good though once you make it, they're pretty much OFP.

thanks a lot hopefulgrunt2be, and USMCgrunt0331, that site was perfect.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Good link HopefulGrunt. I like the part of the article on the Israeli Defense Force using designated marksmen.

Our Hebrew Bros call them "kala saar". That's a great sounding name!

I know a few DMs.

Basically the role of a DM is to attach to a Plt/Squad and provide the grunts with long range capability. As stated, they're not scout snipers, and don't back the ranged punch that a S/S would.

The M-14s they use certainly give them the ability to 'reach out and touch someone,' but they're more used to bridge the gap between CQB and Sniping.

I've heard the one thing that sepreates the really really good shooters (DM's or just a good shooter ) from the scout/sniper is their inability to stalk...

and what does OFP stand for?

Thread Information