Marine Recruit Arraigned On Bomb Charges
Wed Dec 21, 9:27 PM ET
WCVB TheBostonChannel

A man who recently signed up with the Marines was arraigned Wednesday on charges he took homemade bomb components to a recruiting center.

NewsCenter 5's Jack Harper reported that Peter Rondon allegedly left bomb parts near his recruiter's office after a visit. He was to report to basic training in a few weeks.

Investigators think Rondon wanted to end his career as a Marine before it started.

"Why the defendant did this judge, I don?t know. What was going on in his mind at the time, I don?t know," said prosecutor Robert Pelligrini.

Investigators said after visiting his recruiter's office on Park Street, Rondon placed some gas containers and wires in a bag at the office and called the recruiter.

"He was in the (bathroom) stall when he called a Marine recruiter on his cell phone and informed that Marine recruiter that there was a situation," said Pelligrini.

"It was a family situation. It was an attention situation where he did not intend at all your honor, to do what happened," said defense attorney Chris Tully.

The incident lead a partial evacuation of the 10-story building.

"All we heard was that they found what they thought was bomb in the men's room and that they had taken care of it," said Michelle Cimmino, a receptionist in the building.

"I believe he was scheduled to attend a Marine bootcamp at the end of the month. Some people over the court office stated he was looking for attention. Obviously, it is a sad way to get it," said Worcester Police Chief Gary Quittadamo.

Rondon was held on $50,000 bail. He is scheduled to return to court Jan. 20.

Ellie