Enlisted/Officer Programs
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Enlisted/Officer Programs

Hi, I'm 17 and I'm seriously looking into the Corp. I certainly would like to be an enlisted man for at least a few years. Then I'd like to become an officer some time afterwards and ultimately get into politics. I was wondering if I joined after highschool as an Enlisted Marine if I could say 4 years down the road be trained to be an officer through the Naval Academy. I know there is special programs for this purpose, but I don't exactly want just a side program. I want the full Naval Academy Education as well. That being what would the best way for me to first join the Corp, then become an officer, and then get into politics as a congressmen or some sort.

Credits
    Savings
    Lofty goals. Lofty indeed.

How? 1st, hopefully, you had EXCELLENT grades in H.S., are an Eagle Scout, and have done more community projects than can be listed, before you even think about the USNA.

2nd, go on to University, get a degree, become an Officer.

3rd, I'm lost. Methinks that once you signup as Enlisted, there you be.

Others? Help!!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    You've got 4 years as enlisted to be a stellar example of Marine leadership and outstanding ability and confidence.

Yes there are programs for enlisted transferring to the USNA. It still requires a recommendation from your Congressional representative.

The Corps is very picky and resolute on who we give a chance to step onto the yellow footprints. Expect 10x the selection process for a USNA slot. Zero article 32s, 300 PFTs, Meritorious Masts, outside volunteer work, recommendations from your Sgts and SNCOs and COs...

First and foremost, get your head straight on completing Boot Camp. 3 months of constant hard training separates the wheat from the chaff. We separate the mere enthusiasts from the Hard Corps Warriors.

Here at Leatherneck we will bust our ass to help anyone that reaches out thier hand to grasp our Beloved Eagle Globe and Anchor.

Well my volunteer hours should be fine. I'm a member of my schools National Honors Society and it is a requirement to get 50-60 volunteer hours a year. My PFT is getting there. I'm around 240-50 I believe right now. Pullups are killing me.(I have tripled my pullup count in the last 3 months)I have no problem running, that's more of a hobby of mine than anything else.

So if I do go enlisted, I will be able after a few years to (if everything goes as planned) go to the USNA and get the same education as everyone else? I'm talking everything math, science, history, everything.

EDIT: By the way, thanks for the help!

Credits
    Savings
    First, read yellowwings' post. Study it. It's full of great info.

Second, no one here can garrantee that you will be selected for the USNA. That is totally up to you, and the standards that you set for yourself, BUT only after you earn your Eagle, Globe and Anchor if you decide to go enlisted.

As yellowwing stated, we will provide you with the facts, but we cannot make promises. What your future holds is in your hands.

Ron

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Yup, we Marines are a rare breed. We are a disciplined lethal force in action. It really takes super human efforts to be the Officers that can handle the job of leading us.

You may want to keep your options open to enroll in another fine University that offers NROTC. You can enroll in Ohio State or MIT and still get the education to be a Marine Officer.

Right now that world is totally open to you. If you decide to go enlisted first, I strongly recommend a harsh swimming PT program. That will help you in your pull-ups and cardio regimen.

When you stick like glue to your Recruiter, do every thing you can and then go above and beyond to prove your worthiness to join our Brotherhood.

Well, when would it be easier to try to get into the USNA? Immediately after Highschool with no past service, or 4 or so years down the road with an enlisted background?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression you're not guarenteed a slot as a Marine officer, and that if you fell short, you would become a Navy ensign instead?

where in OH are you from anyways?

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I thought there were more ways to become and enlisted than through the USNA... What about the PLC, ext? I thought if you got a bachelor's while in the Corps, you could qualify for an alternative program that didn't involve being accepted into the USNA. Am I wrong?

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    SmokeyBandit-
    Just an observation. The building where I work often hosts the selection process interviews for entrance into the various Military Academies. There is an air of importance, education, influence, bearing, and extreme tension that permeates the selection area and lobby. I always, and I could be wrong, came away from this area, as I happened to be walking by, figuring that a candidate better know some who can pass on a good word or two on the candidates behalf. Bearing certainly seemed to be a definite plus. Of coarse it is easier said than done but it just seemed that the candidates that didn't bring any pretenses with them and who looked relaxed, confident, and honestly determined fared better during the entire procedure. Follow (you pick them) any of the sterling advice that has been handed you. They know what they are talking about, I just gave you an observation. Good luck , no matter which road you choose to take.

Hey Smokey,

Its cool that your setting your sights high in the Marine Corps. Obviously during theese times its a hard decision to be making , but I can assure you , and all of the Marines on this forum can attest...YOU ARE JOINING THE BEST GUN CLUB IN ALL OF THE WORLD!
    Go enlisted , get a tasted of the Corps. and experience boot camp. It will make you a better Marine. You are right. There are programs to jump from enlisted to officer. I can tell you this just like alot of the other Marines in here have told you . They only take the best and theres a reason for that. In the Marine Corps., officers are held to even higher standards then the enlisted Marines.
    If you think you have the balls to be a Marine , earn your eagle globe and anchor at either of the recruit depots.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    " YOU ARE JOINING THE BEST GUN CLUB IN ALL OF THE WORLD! "

That's right Smokey you are joining the finest military organization on the face of earth! Set your sights high and go for the gusto!

When you become a Marine either enlisted or officer you will have earned the title to belong to the finest gun club in the world, "Drink to one and pis-tol two!"

Wishing you the best of luck!

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Welbaum
    where in OH are you from anyways?
    I'm from about 40 east of Columbus. Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone. I'm appalled at the many responses I got. Thanks alot!

I figure if I can't ever get in the USNA then I'd just go to plan B. Which would be getting a degree and going through ROTC.

I think the best thing I can do right now, is keep researching and see what I think would best suit me and what my abilities are best at.

Thanks again!

Credits
    Savings
    I figure if I can't ever get in the USNA then I'd just go to plan B. Which would be getting a degree and going through ROTC.
    Excellent Plan!!!

Thread Information