Question?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question?

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question?

I have not so great eye sight and was wondering is that going to be a problem during boot?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Without 'corrective lenses' I can't see sheet, either. In Boot Camp there was not much to look at even if we were allowed eyeball liberty.

It took a little adjusting getting used to the Marine Corps eyeglass frames. Sweat pouring on the lenses and trying to keep them on your ears. It wasn't that big of a deal.

You'll be very busy every minute of the day without worrying about eyeglasses. After training I was allowed to purchase my own frames or contact lenses.

Birth control glasses are the standard issue. The thing that you will see the most of is the back of the head of the recruit 30" ahead of you. Rifle sights may be the one thing that will be important to you. If you are not already doing it, I recommend going to a range and punching holes in a target.

How bad we talking here??? "I miss the toliet peeing without them bad" or "I thought she was OK looking," bad??? If your within the visual standards then you will get ugly glasses to where. Not to worry though, your glasses will be a good distraction from your bald head.
    So long as you meet the min visual you will be fine. BUT for sure save your money and buy some better glasses when you get out of training, don't be the guy who goes into town with his BC glasses ...........You all know who you are.........

Get lasic surgery, although i need to call the Marine Corps recruit office to see if im going to need a waiver, i always double check, But i want my vision perfect when i shoot at the range. Lasic surgery on your eyes takes 15 min at most and they do it in the waiting room instant perfect vision

If youve got a few grand to spend on laser surgery, and your a candidate that might be fine. My vision isnt that great, so i was issued portholes. I found they fogged up too much, so i only wore them out at the range.

Credits
    Savings
    Would they still take you even if you had the eye surgery before boot camp?becasue i really dont want to have to mess around with glasses when im there.

Don't get too caught up in all this glasses/ no glasses stuff. If you NEED them then you will use them. I was issued some but NEVER had to use them, my eyesight was not that bad. As for LASIK, I have had it done. I love it, perfect vision out the door and years later still 20/20. BUT be careful with it. Make sure you do check witht he recruiter BEFORE you do that. Most agencies I know of require at least a one year time frame to lapse after the surgery. Not sure if the Corps has adopted that or not. But check.

Glasses, it's really not that big of a deal, besides your not going to be picking up any hotties while your at MCRD anyway.

If you earn The Title, I'd get rid of your BC's asap after boot,MCT at the latest. Bring your civilian glasses/contacts to school. Personally I'd worry about the corrective surgery until after you get your foot in the Corps, wouldn't want to worry about the surgery going south at boot, or something happening and losing your vision. How bad is bad? Some of the recruit's I was with only wore their glasses at the range. There's a Marine here in school at the airstation still wearing his BC's, AND the geek strap:eek:

...He is married though, so I guess it doesn't matter

oohrah!
    PFC Welbaum

Quote: "...He is married though, so I guess it doesn't matter "

LMAO

Just proves that there is someone out there for everyone.

Credits
    Savings
    I have -1.75 in one eye and -2.00 in the other.thats what it says on my contact box...is that good or bad?I dont even know!!I just know with out my contacts I cant see far,and even before I made this thread I was looking into the eye surgery thing but if it would some how make it to were I could not leave for boot then i would not do it.but i hear it does wonders for your vision.And if i decide not to get the surgery would the DIs in boot get ****ed if i didnt wear me bcs all the time?and would they make you take your marine corp picture with those ugly things on?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Other Marines more familiar with the current policies will have to answer that one. Or just talk to your Recruiter.

Yes, BC Glasses on Liberty is not a good idea. Just ask these two XBox 'warriors':

Quote Originally Posted by dyeballer888
    I have -1.75 in one eye and -2.00 in the other.thats what it says on my contact box...is that good or bad?I dont even know!
    Well look at it this way, if your screwed at boot camp with that eyesight, them I'm totally ****ed over. My contact boxes say -4.50 and -4.75. Everyone has told me not to worry about it since my eyesight is correctable to 20/20 so I'm sure that applies to you also.

i called the recruitor yesterday, i asked about if i would need a waiver for it, he said that many people do that and you have to wait 6 months after due from the surgery if u even call it surgery, but agian you just get a waiver for it.

My recruiter told my a while back that the surgery required a one year interval between the surgery and boot camp. I hadnt asked about a waiver though

Thread Information