very interested in joining
Create Post
    Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Smile very interested in joining

I'm very interested in earning the title "Marine" and becomming part of the Corps. I'm a little on the heavy side but I'm not exactly a pumpkin. I'm 6'1" and wiegh in at 240. I can run three miles, do two pullups, and fifty crunches. I have talked to a recruiter a few times and have gotten a lot of awnsers. I would like to make the Corps a career but my recruiters said it would be really difficult. Why is that? Also has anyone ever had a mekels diverticulum? It's basically a small pouch on the small intestine that becomes inflamed and has to be surgically removed. My recruiter is working on getting me a wavier for it. Does anyone know if by haveing that would it disqualify me?

i'm working on becoming a EAD recruitor....i will check the height and weight sandards for your height and weight and see how much you will have to lose and get back with you ok

Diverticulitus can be fixed with surgery .. so based on the info you have given your weight would be the only other problem.

Quote Originally Posted by carchaser
    I'm very interested in earning the title "Marine" and becomming part of the Corps. I'm a little on the heavy side but I'm not exactly a pumpkin. I'm 6'1" and wiegh in at 240. I can run three miles, do two pullups, and fifty crunches. I have talked to a recruiter a few times and have gotten a lot of awnsers. I would like to make the Corps a career but my recruiters said it would be really difficult. Why is that? Also has anyone ever had a mekels diverticulum? It's basically a small pouch on the small intestine that becomes inflamed and has to be surgically removed. My recruiter is working on getting me a wavier for it. Does anyone know if by haveing that would it disqualify me?
    I think the recruiter may have been infering that making the corps your "career" is something that you will need to wait and see about. A lot of people think they will join and make it a career but the corps is not easy. Do 4 years, see what its about, and then become more set in what it is you want to do for the rest of whatever. Good luck.

Do yourself a favor and try to lose some weight prior to boot camp. It is a lot more intense when the corps loses it for you. Even if it is just 20 pounds, shed it. I am not heavy but when I reach a certain weight I go straight to the diet and start excerizing. Remember that about 3600 calories equals 1 pound. The average person requires 2000 calories a day. If you drop that to 1200 or 1400 calories of intake per day you will lose a pound every 4 days or so. Excersize another 400 every other day and you will lose a pound every 3 days. Simple mathamatics.

I agree with rktec, you can't go in thinking your going to make it a career. Its not that easy to decide, but its good ambitions. Go for, work you A$$ off to get there, if you want it bad enough not much is going to get in your way.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you MarineFamily5 for looking that up. I have been working my ass off since june and have lost about 25 pounds. I'm still very focused on my running but need to work on my pullups and pushups and situps. I run 3 miles a day and really try to watch what I eat and I do eat a lot of protein. I'm thinking once I pass the initial strength test I'm going to officially sign up and ship out soon. I've been motivating myself for five months and it seems like I need to do something to keep me on track. I am ready to move on with my life. Physically I know boot will be a challenge but I believe my mind is in the right place. Thank you all for your replys.

yes you will want to work on your pull-ups they are your money maker during a PFT. most of the time if you can do 10 pull-up then you will get a 1st class PFT....to get a perfect score on a PFT you have to do 20 pull-ups 100 crunches in 2 minutes ( which i can do 100 in less then a minute so that isn't hard ) and run 3 miles in 18 minutes or less. but i will check on the height weight sandard tomorrow at work

Thread Information