I have a question
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question I have a question

Hello. I am 15 years old and am in the Young Marines. I know that I definatly want to go into the Marines but I don't know wether I should go to college first or wait until after Boot Camp. The MOS I want is a Military Police. I've had some people tell me to go to college and then join the Marines and some people tell me to wait to go to college until after Boot Camp and become an Officer. So my question is, which is the best option? College then Boot Camp or Boot Camp then College?

-Amanda Mogensen-

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up

Amanda,

That is an excellent question and well thought out. The standard used to be either 18 or 21 be be an MP. The standards may have changed since I was on recruiting duty in the 80's. If you are headed towards criminal justice in high school I suggest that you checkout all of your options to include what is offered at colleges and universities in your area and other areas. One of the best resources is to go to your recruiting office and ask the recruiter hones questions and to weigh your options. The most important thing is to be honest to yourself. Depending on the recruiting station there maybe career days sponsorded by your high school along with colleges.

Good Luck in Pursuit of your goals...!!

Credits
    Savings
    Thank You very much.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up

Amanda,

I like your insignia that you posted. And you are very welcome.

My take on this---if you need money to go to college, serve and then go. If not, go to college and then join the Corps. I served with people that did both. The ones that went to college first had a leg up, Big time!

I have to agree with GSO. If you can afford the schooling, go to college first!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Don't forget NROTC. There a plenty if fine colleges and universities with NROTC.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for all of your help everybody

JrJarhead5812, its future Marines like you that make us "old Timers" smile and know tomorrow will be fine..

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Another option to consider is doing both at the same time. I earned a BS in Environmental Management while on active duty. Almost every installation and Naval ship have colleges aboard. Tution assistance pays 100% of your tuition while on active duty and this doesn't even touch your GI Bill. Use your GI Bill afterwards to earn a Masters or Doctorate. Tution Assistance will even pay for a Masters if you stay in long enough to use it.

There are other programs such as the Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP) that will send you to college FULL TIME to finish up your degree while on active duty (still getting all your pay and benefits) in exchange for a four year committment as a Marine Officer.

College is significantly cheaper on base and doesn't have the distractions (some call it fun) a traditional campus has such as frat parties, drinking competitions, drugs, etc...

Many major universities offer their degrees on bases and Naval ships. Get deployed? You can always go on hold or take your classes online. Transfer to a different base? You can transfer all of your credits under the SOC agreement.

It keeps you busy and out of trouble. Aside from that, employers now days want some with experience AND education. One or the other is not good enough a lot of the time. The Marine Corps is one sure fine place to get both an education and experience at the same time and get paid for doing both.

Credits
    Savings
    Go to boot camp first, then college is free!

Try the Devil Pup program first and see if you like our Corps of Marines.

Amanda, My advice is to go to college, try out the ROTC Program if they have one, decide whether you want to be an Officer or Enlisted, then go to Boot Camp or OCS. This way you have given yourself plenty of time to think about what you want to do in life. Not to say that your interest in the Military Police will change but you might find something that will give you the upper hand with experience as well with what you wish to get a Degree on in College. I have to agree with Nagalfar.

Talking

You have to be 19 years old by the time you finish MP school to qualify for the MOS. If you want to be out on the street doing the police work, go enlisted. The 5800 mos generally falls under the MP billet and the Corrections billet. You dont get to pick which. Just a general 5800 enlistment.

Good luck!

Bill

Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up Thank You Everyone

I talked to my Grandma today and she told me when I turn 16 (Feb) she is going to take me to talk to the recruiter. So I'll bring up all the points that everyone mentioned. Thank you for all of your advice and help. It's really appreciated.

-Amanda M.

Thread Information