Good Marine Corps Novels For Poolee's
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Good Marine Corps Novels For Poolee's

If you know of any let me know.. we have a wide seletion of books at my library.

My all time favorite is Marine! - its the story of Chesty Puller. Sand in the Wind is also good as are Marine Sniper - One Shot One Kill and I just finished Jarhead, which is a new movie releasing in a couple of weeks.

Read it, Learn it, Love it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BK329.gif‎
Views:	646
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	4084  

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    "Starship Troopers"-Robert Heinlein. Still one of the best pieces of military philosophy to date, IMO.

"Generation Kill"- Evan Wright. An excellent ground-level account of the push to Baghdad in 2003, and a pretty well balanced account of what the Corps is like from the standpoint of a small unit/enlisted level.

Keeping Faith- John and Frank Shaeffer- A pretty decent account of the day-to-day of boot camp, MCT, MOS school, and what happens on the other end of things- read it, then give it your parents. It's not perfect, but worth a read.

"Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy"- Douglas Adams. Simple: "Don't Panic!"

- Battle Cry is a great book . Read it when I was in the DEP and then couldnt wait to get to boot camp.

- Guns Up.... A really good but about Jarheads in Vietnam Especially if your an 0331 ..Youll really like the characters, and just an all around good book.

- My dying breath.... probably the best Marine book I have ever read. Marines in Vietnam . Told from a lance Corporals point of view. Everything from patrolling to libo, to fighting to just being around your other Marines. Quite possibly the best book I have ever read. A definete read.

Ok thanks guys, I just recently got one about the story of the Marine Corps called "Story Of The Marine Corps" its good really it starts from the Continental Marines and their story on the Great Albaco Island to the battles against the Royal Marines up too Vietnam.. it's really good, it's written by J. Robert Moskin.

I'm reading "Valor of Honor".

It is a great-great read so far....I'm not a big reader but have read 150 pages in the last day in a half.

Off the top of my head
    Non-fiction: One Bullet Away, Nathaniel Fick
    Dear Mom, JT Ward
    Marine Sniper, Silent Warrior, Charles Henderson
    Making the Corps Thomas Ricks
    Into the Crucible James Woulfe
    Corps Values, Zell Miller
    Generation Kill, Evan Wright
    Spare Parts
    The March Up : Taking Baghdad with the 1st Marine Division
    Sniper In Arizona, 13 Cent Killers, John Culbertson
    Colder than Hell, Joseph Owen
    The Coldest War: A Memoir Of Korea, James Brady
    Fiction: The Marines of Autumn, James Brady
    Battle Cry, Ohara's Choice, Leon Uris
    I need to read more fiction...

Registered User Free Member moose's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I reccomend "Making The Corps" I read it before I left for recruit training and I think it gave me some unique insight to what I could expect.

Moose

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Another Book, In Line With "sand In The Wind" Is "body Count". It's About Marines In Nam.

I was in COSTCO the other day and picked up the book "Jarhead". I have only read a couple of chapters so far, but it seems like a good read.

Gates of Fire by Stephen Pressfield, not Marine Corps, but the Spartans will motivate the hell out of you

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine
    I was in COSTCO the other day and picked up the book "Jarhead". I have only read a couple of chapters so far, but it seems like a good read.
    Jarhead ...a few chapters later you probably won't like this piece of literature...

nope, all he does is complain in the book, still want to see the movie though

Sirmess1 ...Gates of Fire was an Outsanding book !

Thread Information