Pledge of Allegiance : Unconstitutional
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pledge of Allegiance : Unconstitutional

Judge declares Pledge unconstitutional

Wednesday, September 14, 2005; Posted: 2:21 p.m. EDT (18:21 GMT)

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools was ruled unconstitutional Wednesday by a federal judge who granted legal standing to two families represented by an atheist who lost his previous battle before the U.S. Supreme Court.

U.S. District Judge Lawrence Karlton ruled that the pledge's reference to one nation "under God" violates school children's right to be "free from a coercive requirement to affirm God."

Karlton said he was bound by precedent of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which in 2002 ruled in favor of Sacramento atheist Michael Newdow that the pledge is unconstitutional when recited in public schools.

So...Ive been in the wrong this whole time? and youre telling me that now this judge has freed my children from a coercive requirement to affirm God? Fuk that! This is another bull**** reason why America is losing its values !

Registered User Free Member SGTLANE's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    That is crap!!! In order to be an atheist you have to believe there is a God. They need to affirm God everyday anyway!!!! The 9th court of appeals and this judge need to get locked on!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    America is about the people. But the government sucks.. When I was in elementary school in Pa as a kid we used to have a prayer before classes started. That was stopped. We had people in our school called minenites (SP??) they could not due to religious beleifs recite the Pledge of Alegiance, so they just stood there unoffended. Why couldn't be that simple instead of using my tax money and yours for frivolous expenditures like this...???

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It seems a waste of time and money to appeal something that already has been ruled and decided upon by the supreme court.

They believe they are God...

Ellie

Credits
    Savings
    jinelson, so effort to put God and the Pledge of Allegiance (back where they should be) are a waste of time and money??? So as Christians just because the Supreme Court has made a decision we should just say "oh well, nothing we can do about it now"..?? BECAUSE THIS COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED ON THE BASIC BELIEFS OF GOD. Freedom of religion and all that. Waste of time and money...the first schools used the bible as a text book. It is that kind of thinking that has put this country where it is right now.....frivolous==== !!!!

100% agree. You have to hold on to the values that make the United States what it is. There are to many tree hugging hippies out there that want to make this country forget what it was founded on. God , Country , Corps!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    outlaw3179,

You are 100% correct...!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thats Not What I Meant!

Unless the United States Supreme Court no longer is the final rule in this country I do not understand how a lower court can rule rule the opposite of the higher, would it not mean anything? Please dont misunderstand me I feel the same as you do.

Angry

Maybe all that do believe should sue the goverment for violating our rights to recite the pledge. It is thier right not to, but or right to choose.

I agree. How can the ruling stand when the supreme court has already dismissed this subject before.

outlaw

I agree!

As for me and my Family, we will continue to believe in God. And for those who don't...... say the pledge and don't say what you don't believe in. Who the hell will know.........

We as Americans and a Nation need to come back to basics.

I am so ****ed I can't see straight! When are the leaders of this country (as well as the courts) going to start doing as the majority of the people want???? Anytime some garbage eating scumbag doesn't like something, all he has to do is go to court and change what has stood for over 200 years...what a shameful lack of patriotism!!!

This decision should be made by the highest of courts. The sole purpose of the Supreme Court is to enterpret the Constitution and pass judgement according to the standards of society. This issue was at the federal level only cause the Supreme Court had already dismissed it and the plantifs knew they would lose if they brought before them again.
    If I lived in the district of this court I would sue the School System if they prohibited my kids from reciting the pledge for suppression of the First Ammendment.

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry, jinelson-- that was not how I was reading what you wrote. I apologize for getting on my soap boxxx!!!!!!

Thread Information