Jarhead Movie - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jarhead Movie

Originally posted by micah24

Did you ever read the book The Short-Timers, that Full Metal Jacket was based off of? It was pretty wack, imo. It had a Marine eating the flesh of another Marine just killed and other really bizarre stuff. The author of the book, Gustav Hasford, actually spent time in jail for stealing library books. He didn't like R. Lee Ermey because he thought he was all about advancing Marine proproganda, and R. Lee Ermey didn't like him.
    Man, I've been trying tofind thatbook for years...it's out of print. I didn't know all thatstuff about it, didn't know that stuff about Hasford...I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside at the thought of Gunny Ermy rubbing the true Corps in Hasford's face. On a positive note (I hope) they have reprinted Leon Uris's "Battle Cry"...it's based on his experience in the Corps, I hope it reps well...I read his other book about the the Corps "Ohara's Choice", the story was weak, but it was positive about the Marines. It is about one of the many attemps to dismantle the Marines...with a sappy love story intwined.

Registered User Free Member micah24's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, Short-Timers is still out of print, but you can read it online here or print it out (for free): The Short-Timers

Someone here has their Caps Lock key stuck. (Looks at Boogieman)

LPRKN, YES I KEEP MY CAP'S LOCKED, BUT I GUESS SOMEONE'S GOT TO ***** ABOUT SOMETHING...I THOUGHT POSTING YOUR THOUGHT'S TO THE THREAD'S WAS GIVING YOUR OPINION TO THE TOPIC, NOT " SOMEONE HERE HAS THERE CAP'S LOCK KEY STUCK" WHO CARE'S, SOME OF USE THE CAP LOCK KEY TO SEE BETTER, WHILE WE ARE WRIGHTING, AND IF THAT'S ALL YOU GOT TO ***** ABOUT... GO BOTHER THE POOLEE'S THEY DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER, BUT BY ALL MEAN'S POST YOUR THOUGHT'S, BUT LET'S KEEP IT RELATED TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND SHALL WE???

I've posted more than once before about my opinion on Jarhead, at least the book version. They can be easily found in the archives. Suffice to say, if the movie is anything like the book, it'll be a waste of money.

Boogieman, I wasn't trying to be hostile. I was trying to take more of a friendly tone, but you can't convey intent so easily on a messageboard, where people can't see your facial expression, etc.

But, as anyone will tell you, internet norms are to type normally. Typing in all caps is pretty much as if someone went around yelling at the top of their voice, all the time. And, it's kind of a pain in the @ss to read.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's usually a poolie who's about 16 or 17 that types in all caps. A couple of older Marines have done it too, but no one's going to try and tell a WWII vet how to type. Well, at least I won't.

WELL, I WON'T TELL A WWII VET WHAT HE CAN TYPE OR NOT, BUT I WON'T CHANGE THE WAY I TYPE AS WELL, THOSE WHO KNOW ME HERE, HAVEN'T COMPLAINED ABOUT IT,???? YOUR THE ONLY ONE, BUT I WILL MEET YOU HALF WAY, IF YOU THINK SOMEONE WHO TYPES ALL IN CAP'S IS LIKE SOMEONE YELLING AT THE TOP OF THERE VOICE...ALL THE TIME...I'LL TYPE SOFTER , AND IF IT'S A PAIN IN THE @SS TO READ AS YOU SAY, ???? AND NO, I'M FAR FROM 16 AND FAR FROM BEING A POOLEE...BUT LIKE I SAID, NO ONE ELSE HAS COMPLAINED.

I never thought of you as a yelling, Boogieman, but than I have read a lot of your posts. More like jelling! :-)

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I can't stand to read all caps - but hey that just me and my opinion.

So I just don't read the crap. I figure if the person wanted to get their message across properly, they'd do it in such a way that is not so hard on the eyes.

Lots of ......... and ??????? also wear thin on me.

And since this a free country thanks to all of the Marines around here - we can type how we want. Just as well, we can choose not to read posts that are confusing, capitalized, in slang, or in such poor grammer or spelling that it would take to much to to figure out anyway.

And anyone who's been around here long enough will tell you topics NEVER stay on hand. It's kinda what I like about the place; reminds me of a bunch of old Marines sitting around talking and......

Yeah! It is kind of a "Your mama this, and your mama that!" And, "My dog is bigger than your dog!" But, those are the things that make interesting conversations just exactly what they are...Not Boring!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    RLeon-
    Check out this link concerning Gustav Hasford.
    http://www.gustavhasford.com/

WELL MARINES, THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE READ MY POST KNOW I DON'T YELL,HOLLER, FUSS,... I LAY IT ON THE LINE, AND THAT IT'S, I'M AN OLD GRUNT, NOT A LAP TOP, I DON'T TYPE WELL ENOUGH,TO KEEP SWITCHING BACK AND FOURTH, AND LIKE CAREY PUT IT, I AM JELLING MOST OF THE TIME UNTILL SOMEONE GET'S THE DANDER UP, AND THE MARINES THAT I HAVE TALKED TO ON HERE, DON'T MIND IF I TYPE THIS WAY... I'M NOT YELLING YA'LL, JUST MY WAY, BUT MY POINT THAT STARTED THIS WHOLE THING WAS, WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS IN THIS WORLD GOING ON, SOMEONE COMPLAING ABOUT HOW I TYPE WAS.....LET'S JUST SAY CRAZY... SO LET'S ALL KEEP POSTING, KEEP ON BULL SITTING, KEEP ON GETTING ON, AND PLEASE, PLEASE, QUIT WORRING HOW THE BOOGIEMAN TYPES, SEMPER FI...

Credits
    Savings
    BOOGIEMAN-
    You are coming through LOUD AND CLEAR. LOL
    By the way, how are things up in SC.?

GREAT, THANKS FOR ASKING, HOW'S THE CLEAN UP GOING? WE GOT A LITTLE WIND TODAY NO RAIN...YET...BUT YOU KNOW HOW THAT GOES.

Credits
    Savings
    BOOGIEMAN44-
    Clean up seems to going okay. Somebody is making a heck of alot of OT or comp time...big time.
    Minor chores have to taken care of around the house. Unless you have lost more than the deductible $500 you'd have to give to your insurance company for food lost, you can forget about getting that money back for food. I know folks that had a whole freezer full of "prepared food" like lean cuisine, etc. They had to sh*tcan the whole batch. What a waste.

GARY, YOUR POWER IS BACK ON RIGHT, YOU HAVE WATER? I HOPE SO, I KNOW TIMES LIKE THESE ARE HARD, I GOTTA WORK TONIGHT TELL EVERY ONE HI AND S/F, WE'LL KEEP ALL OF YOU IN THE PRAYER LINE. 10-4

Thread Information