Jarhead Movie
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jarhead Movie

Jarhead Movie

OK! IM sure everyone reading this knows about Anthony Swoffords book, Jarhead, being turned into a movie! I finally watched the trailer for it, MOTIVATING!!!
    IT LOOKS GOOD TO ME! It comes out on my birthday, 20051104 and that is also right before I ship, SO that will be a little motivation right before I go to boot!!
    Teganwww.jarheadmovie.com

I hope the movie is better than the book , I really didnt like it cuz it seemed like all he did was **** and moan about how much he hated being a Marine. The trailer looks really good , I especially like Jamie Foxx's quote at then end.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst...especially when the guy playing Swoff is the kid from Donnie Darko...who happens to be a big Lib...He's politically active and seeks out roles that reflect his liberal views hence his other movie "Day after Tomarrow".

Swafford's movie has not received good comments from the Marines on this board, based more on Swafford's personal actions, and I agree. He sold his fellow Marines' equipment to local pawn shops, after stealing it from them. No one here likes a thief in the unit!

People keep trying to put this movie on the thread for comment, and each time there is a torrent of comments on it, but as best as I can see it, it is just another 'shoot down' the Corps, the Military, and the war movie that Hollywood loves to protray as factual about all members of the Corps, and other military services.

OOPS THEN! I thought I saw it ( JARHEAD) on here before, but I wasnt sure of it, so I posted anyways. Once I think about the book a little more, I agree with you guys, BUT I think I would still like to see it.
    Tegan

A MOVIE MAY BEABLE TO "PUMP YOU UP" BUT MAKE SURE THE MOVIE IS WORTH WATCHING, A MOVIE THAT DOES NOT GO HAND IN HAND WITH THE MARINE CORPS WAY OF LIFE, I MEAN, IF IT DEVIATES AN OUNCE FROM THE TRUE WAY OF THE MARINES, IS NOT WORTH GETTING "PUMPED UP" OVER, AT THAT POINT, IT'S ONLY GOOD TO AMUSE THOSE WHO HAVE WALKED IT'S PATH, IF YOU WANT TO GETT "PUMPED UP" STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF AND WHAT YOU ARE ALREADY DOING, TALKING TO THE MARINES ON HERE, JUST BY READING YOUR POST, I CAN TELL YOU ARE A VERY BRIGHT POOLEE, AND YOU WILL GO AS FAR AS YOU DESIRE, BUT DO NOT GET CAUGHT BETWEEN FACT AND FICTION, HOLLYWOOD AND REAL WORLD, THE MARINE CORPS IS AWAY IN IT'S SELF, WHEN YOUR RECEIVE THAT TITLE MARINE, THERE IS NOTHING MORE SACRED, THEN YOU WILL SIT BACK AND SAY TO YOURSELF
    " THAT IS NOT THE WAY IT IS" AND CAN NOT BELIEVE HOLLYWOOD MADE SOMTHING LIKE THAT, IF MOTIVATION IS WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR, JUST THINK WHAT IT WILL FEEL LIKE TO EARN THE TITLE "MARINE" AFTER ALL THIS TIME OF WAITING, YOU GO FOR ALL YOUR WORTH AND LET THE STARS BE YOUR MAP
    BOOGIEMAN44
    M4L

Thanks boogieman! I underdstand where you are coming from.
    This will stick with me for awhile..

___JUST THINK WHAT IT WILL FEEL LIKE TO EARN THE TITLE "MARINE" AFTER ALL THIS TIME OF WAITING, YOU GO FOR ALL YOUR WORTH AND LET THE STARS BE YOUR MAP____

... I think that when I go to see this, I will be able to know what is right and what is wrong. Reading the book bothered me a little because it seemed this Swofford is giving Marines a bad rep... I was wondering through the whole book why he would complain so much and write a BOOK about it.. I wonder how his buddies felt about the book and how they felt after they read it..
    Maybe before hollywood makes anymore movies about the Marines or military in general, they should let you guys be the critics before the public gets to see it!

TEGAN

From the trailor it seems the movie is well made so it probably had a lot of help from miltary advisors. It looks like they got to use actuall vehicles and equipment. If I'm not mistaken the producers have to send scripts to whatever branch they are portraying in order to get approval to use such equipment and get technical support...so the movie can't be all bad...right?

Tegan.

You really don't understand Hollywood very well, do you not? Hollywood has not made a good movie in a very long time. The only movies that are any sort of money makers are cult favorites, or continuing a series of movies from the 1980s. There is not an original idea in Hollywood, and the idea that abounds in Hollywood is as close to the American Public as is the planet Mars.

Hollywood is in the image business, and image is not real life. They liked Swafford because he had balls, more balls than they have seen in a long time in Hollywood, after all, he was a Marine! And, by their standards, whatever comes from his pen must be the Marines. The fact was, Swafford was not a good Marine, he was a thief! He would steal from his fellow Marines for his own benefit.

As it was, Swafford would have never made it any higher in the Marines. He was better off out! Marines can't prove it half the time, but they know who is stealing from them.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    to boogieman44 i'm a marine and a viet nam veteran. only a marine can understand what it means when someone tries to portray us as something other than what we are. we are proud warriors who will sacrifice our lives for what we believe in, the marine corps.

Originally posted by BOOGIEMAN44
    A MOVIE MAY BEABLE TO "PUMP YOU UP" BUT MAKE SURE THE MOVIE IS WORTH WATCHING, A MOVIE THAT DOES NOT GO HAND IN HAND WITH THE MARINE CORPS WAY OF LIFE, I MEAN, IF IT DEVIATES AN OUNCE FROM THE TRUE WAY OF THE MARINES, IS NOT WORTH GETTING "PUMPED UP" OVER, AT THAT POINT, IT'S ONLY GOOD TO AMUSE THOSE WHO HAVE WALKED IT'S PATH, IF YOU WANT TO GETT "PUMPED UP" STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF AND WHAT YOU ARE ALREADY DOING, TALKING TO THE MARINES ON HERE, JUST BY READING YOUR POST, I CAN TELL YOU ARE A VERY BRIGHT POOLEE, AND YOU WILL GO AS FAR AS YOU DESIRE, BUT DO NOT GET CAUGHT BETWEEN FACT AND FICTION, HOLLYWOOD AND REAL WORLD, THE MARINE CORPS IS AWAY IN IT'S SELF, WHEN YOUR RECEIVE THAT TITLE MARINE, THERE IS NOTHING MORE SACRED, THEN YOU WILL SIT BACK AND SAY TO YOURSELF
    " THAT IS NOT THE WAY IT IS" AND CAN NOT BELIEVE HOLLYWOOD MADE SOMTHING LIKE THAT, IF MOTIVATION IS WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR, JUST THINK WHAT IT WILL FEEL LIKE TO EARN THE TITLE "MARINE" AFTER ALL THIS TIME OF WAITING, YOU GO FOR ALL YOUR WORTH AND LET THE STARS BE YOUR MAP
    BOOGIEMAN44
    M4L

BARONER, I WAS TRYING TO QUOTE MYSELF, BUT IT BACKFIRED, LET ME SEE...AT THAT POINT IT'S ONLY GOOD TO THOSE WHO WALKED IT'S PATH... DID I SAY SOMTHING OUT OF TEX? OR ARE YOU SAYING SOMETHING I'M MISSING HERE? ENLIGHTEN ME HERE, YOU SAID " ONLY A MARINE CAN UNDER STAND WHAT IT MEANS" THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT I SAID?

Registered User Free Member micah24's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Originally posted by outlaw3179
    I hope the movie is better than the book , I really didnt like it cuz it seemed like all he did was **** and moan about how much he hated being a Marine. The trailer looks really good , I especially like Jamie Foxx's quote at then end.
    Did you ever read the book The Short-Timers, that Full Metal Jacket was based off of? It was pretty wack, imo. It had a Marine eating the flesh of another Marine just killed and other really bizarre stuff. The author of the book, Gustav Hasford, actually spent time in jail for stealing library books. He didn't like R. Lee Ermey because he thought he was all about advancing Marine proproganda, and R. Lee Ermey didn't like him.

Baroner and Boogieman,

I don't see what your disagreement is!

By the way, is that Bob Barone (K3/7)?

CPL. CAREY, I DON'T HAVE A DISAGREEMENT, JEST TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT BARONER MENT, DID I MISS QUOTE MYSELF?? I SAID, " THOSE WHO HAVE WALKED ITS PATH" DOES THAT NOT SOUND LIKE MARINES WHO HAVE EARNED THE TITLE? I TOLD TEGAN, "JUST THINK WHAT IT WILL FEEL LIKE TO EARN THE TITLE "MARINE" AFTER ALL THIS TIME OF WAITING" THAT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE I SAID TEGAN WAS A MARINE YET??? JEST TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT BARONER MENT?

Thread Information