Qustion For you Vietnam Vets. - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by semperfiman
    Corpsmen are now allowed to join the Marine Corps league
    Truthfully, If that were so, that is something that should be remedied, because without those FMF Corpsmen, many of those blowhards on the rules committee would not be here today. They (Corpsmen) have been with the Marines for 107 years, they wear the uniform of the Corps in the FMF, they take the same bullets that the Marines take (Even more when they are protecting a Marine from further injury), and in all too many cases, they have the heart of a Marine.

But, as far as I know, in most detachments, FMF Corpsmen with 90 days FMF service, or wounds received in services to the FMF, are allowed to join the MCL, if not them who better?

Originally posted by Osotogary
    Old Marine-
    Would it be sacrilegious if I did a cartoon about that?
    Go for it Gary.

Originally posted by Joseph P Carey
    Ed and Old Marine,

I will bet both of your original inspections failed for 'Irish Pendants' that were animal hairs on your rawhide belts that carried your Marine Corps issued 'Battle Ax'. Yes, I can just see you guys marching around the cave in your 'Dress Saber-tooth's' screaming at the top of your lungs, " This is my spear, and this is my dong! This is for fighting, and this is for..." :-)

141 and 158? Both of you guys are still the quickest minds on the boards, and I hope you will be for many more years to come.
    You have to remember Joe, that back then we wore the old horsehair uniforms and didn't have "Irish Pendants". We called them ropes.

Prior to my mess duty, I was on Light Switch Duty and when the Lord said "Let there be Light", I threw the switch.

Well, at least I know who had the duty when the 'old man' rested on the seventh day! I bet you can still come up with a good 'chipped saurus on toast' for the troops' morning meal. I can't quite remember, but were C-rations called 'jerky' back then?

I was issued that 'horse hair' great coat, and uniform, along with the brown street grabbers, and Boonie Boots, and brown EGAs for the Lapels, all leather was still brown. The first thing we had to do was color everything black that was brown, but the crayons they gave us youngsters were terrible. :-)

I'm betting you would probably agree it's about time. I was sewed on under fire and am very grateful to all Corpmen. Not yet any female yet are there?
    Thanks fpr the reply
    sniper1

jay2120
    As far as am concered a Corpman (Doc ) is a MARINE.
    a lot of MARINES would not be here today if not for them. take care of your Corpman and he will take care of you. a lot of corpman got killed in NAM taking care of their MARINES.

thank GOD for the CORPMAN who take care of the MARINES.

Originally posted by Joseph P Carey

Truthfully, If that were so, that is something that should be remedied...
    Please excuse my typo! I wrote the above in a former message on this thread, this should read, "Truthfully, If it were NOT so, that is something that should be remedied..."

Registered User Free Member cockscap70's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Trained Navy Corpsmen at Camp Pendleton/Del Mar. To my knowledge Corpsmen are being trained there to this day. To the training area go through the Main Gate, travel a mile or so and on the right you will find the Training area for Field Medical Service School. Took some time a few years ago to return to Field Med. It was like being on leave for 27 years, and returning home. Almost like this 'ol Marine had just left it, except for a few training aids that had been added. There are no, (I say again),no Navy personnel who can call themselves Corpsmen, and or wear the Marine Corps uniform without being trained by Marines, and Navy Corpsmen at one of the Field Medical Service Schools. Find a Corpsman who doesn't like Marines, and I will find you an Army medic who doesn't know anything about the Army. You will still find Corpsmen who are now in most Veteran's facilities that still like being singled out by being called "Doc". Their lot in life might not seem heroic to some who never knew them, but you will find them everywhere. Some with an end of tour award, others with medals that most Marines will never achieve, but rest assured there have been many Navy Corpsmen who went through a Field Medical Service School who earned the Medal of Honor. As for the Marine at the Main Gate at Camp Pendleton who didn't know anything about a Field Medical Service School? Well, Marines... once this jarhead didn't either. Guess what though? Damn sure found out! Thanks gunny wherever you are for sending me to be an instructor at Field Med after Okinawa, even though I was a reluctant Sergeant. I say again... only Fleet Marine Force Corpsmen are allowed, and Marines are honored to have...Navy Corpsmen wear the Marine Corps Uniform. Semper Fi Marines, Get some Navy... Dale

Registered User Free Member sherpa's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Corpsman Up!!

FYI In my outfit in Nam our Corpsmen weren't allowed to buy a beer. If one reached for his wallet he'd be shouted down and several Marines would be vying for the honor of paying for Doc's beer. It was small recognition for the services these guys performed. And further, some of these guys were "volunteered" for the FMF when things started heating up in '68. The few that I met didn't regret it though.

In memory of Doc Caldwell who died in Nam at the end of his tour from one of those whacky jungle fevers.

Sherpa

If it weren't for 1 quick corpsman,i would not be here today.

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    i was in vietnam in 1965 and 1966, mos 0351 and our medics were navy and wore the same jungle clothes as we did.navy has always provided medics in the feild and medical needs to the marines now before ww11 i can't say.

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    hello nam vet67, mos 0351 Lco 3bn 3rd marines nam in 1965 and 1966, was always navy coreman with us in the field, actually i'am interested what is taught in boot camp about certain operations in vietnam such as harvest moon, starlight, golden fleece etc. any young marines just out of boot camp sound off.

sgt rick thornell vietnam combat vet dadeville,alabama

rick_thor2001@yahoo.com

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I had a mos of 0811. In 62 I was in Gitmo Bay during the crisis with B-4-11 1st Mar Div. and later with A-1-12th Marines 3rd. Mar. Div. in Okin. and then in Da Nang in 65. Always was proud to be a 105 mm cannoner. Still am, even though they don't use that type of artilery any more. You 08's out there, hold your heads up, when the grunts need you they are really happy to see you show up.
    Hardway Chuck

I have never met a Corpsman that I didn't concider a Marine. They are hard as steele and have proven themselves through everything that we faced. There is no way we could have made it through without them. My Uncle Steve who served in the Corps had told me that, he would look at this site since he lost touch with many of his old brothers, Even back in 1969 - 1972 that the Corpsman were not just part of the Marine Corps but Marines in body, heart, and soul.

I've run into a lot of "Marine corpsmen" recently. Seems like they all were in the Corps but don't know anything about the Marines.
    A lot are just wanna bes who think they can pull it off by saying they were corpmen. As another poster said we highly respected the Docs and they would do whatever they had to helping wounded if not actually risking their lives.
    A big Semper Fi to them.

Thread Information